PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations about Mag-na-porting?

Sten
10-12-2005, 12:11
I have been thinking about Magna-porting my S&W model 29.

Any recommendations?

jatx
10-12-2005, 13:38
IMHO, don't do it. The gained benefit in terms of recoil reduction is more than offset by the increased flash in low light and the fire/burn hazard when firing from retention. :munchin

El Cid
10-12-2005, 13:47
IMHO, don't do it. The gained benefit in terms of recoil reduction is more than offset by the increased flash in low light and the fire/burn hazard when firing from retention. :munchin
Agreed. Unless the gun is *just* for hunting or target shooting I'd say it's not worth it.

Air.177
10-12-2005, 14:18

It's a model 29, if it's being fired from retention, someone isn't living right anyway. I am not a big fan of porting for most uses, but if it's what you want, then by all means, full speed ahead.

The Reaper
10-12-2005, 17:35
I wouldn't, but that is your call.

TR

Sten
10-12-2005, 17:53
Thank you for the replys. You guys saved me a bunch of money. I am not going to persue magna-porting any further.

Cheers,

Sten

longtab
10-13-2005, 12:56
What is your 29 used for? I have a .44 Mag Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5" bbl that I sent into Wilson Combat to have magna-ported and do a single & double-action polish job on it. I added Millett sights and Uncle Mike's grips later. Why? Because it was my meat packing gun when I lived in Alaska. While I was packing meat out I would strap my rifle to my ruck frame so I could have both hands available to push/grab branches and crap out of my way... but you're still in bear country and need something for those bruins. So I carried my Redhawk in an Uncle Mike's cross draw holster that went on my chest. I needed to be able to shoot and reacquire the target (bear) while getting as many follow-up shots off ASAP. And Magna-porting was the key. But it was a purpose built gun. The felt recoil after the Wilson job was that of a hot .357 Mag which was what I was hoping for.

This may sound odd but as a kid my family and a couple other families would literally go thru a PMT before bear season in the early Spring. We would shoot all the guns we would typically take on a big hunt. This was usually my .375 H&H Mag, .44 Mag, and .22 LR (for rabbits and grouse). The PMT was normally only a couple days, but covered everything from sighting your rifle's iron sights and optics, stress shoots, and the sort. Also covered was new equipment being used (tents, motors, GPS, etc), first aid, skinning, land nav, survival, commo... well it was quite similar to an SF PMT. All performance oriented and purpose driven events...

I'm a "devil is in the details" kinda guy and tend to practice various scenarios I see myself getting into and wargaming everything. I would recommend doing the same for your weapons. Obviously you're not going to use your .44 as a house protection gun (severe over-penetration); and though reliable, wheel guns aren't typically used in tactical environments these days. They are a fun gun for hole punching, but kinda spendy unless you reload. If you hunt with it only and aren't concerned with a little extra muzzle fire Mag-naporting may suit your needs. Just figure out your needs...

My 2¢.