PDA

View Full Version : Green Tomatoes

lrd
10-11-2005, 15:11
It's turned cold, and I have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine. I grew up on fried green tomatoes, and have occasionally substituted them for tomatillos.

Any other suggestions or recipes?

Dan
10-11-2005, 15:49
I used to mix up some flour, salt, pepper. Slice / coat them and fry them in some grape jelly on a medium heat (don't want to burn the jelly). Flip and remove when browned up.

SP5IC
10-11-2005, 16:41
It's turned cold, and I have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine. I grew up on fried green tomatoes, and have occasionally substituted them for tomatillos.

Brown paper bag in the basement. I had two awesome BLTs for lunch today.
They were the real Hanover tomatoes, or is it tomatos, or is it tomatii?

lrd
10-12-2005, 05:12
I used to mix up some flour, salt, pepper. Slice / coat them and fry them in some grape jelly on a medium heat (don't want to burn the jelly). Flip and remove when browned up.
This sounds great, Dan. Thanks.

I wonder if this would work with poblanos?

lrd
10-12-2005, 05:17
Brown paper bag in the basement. I had two awesome BLTs for lunch today.
They were the real Hanover tomatoes, or is it tomatos, or is it tomatii?
I love BLTs. And toasted rosemary bread with sharp cheddar and tomatoes.

Do they need to be cool, dry, and in a dark place? Most of our basement is finished, and is usually just a bit cooler than the rest of the house. The utility room is unfinished, but still not that cool.

brewmonkey
10-13-2005, 12:41
Some Interesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden) reading on the fruit/vegetable argument of the tomato.

I love a good BLT but of course a fresh cool tomato with a sprinkle of salt is always a good thing too.

longtab
10-13-2005, 14:11

Do you use this Fried Green Tomato recipe?

Ingredients:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Parmesan cheese, shredded
Vegetable cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper; set aside. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Dip each of the tomato slices in water and then in the cornmeal mixture. Lay on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, turn and sprinkle the second side with Parmesan cheese and bake 5 more minutes.

lrd
10-13-2005, 17:45
Do you use this Fried Green Tomato recipe?

Ingredients:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Parmesan cheese, shredded
Vegetable cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper; set aside. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Dip each of the tomato slices in water and then in the cornmeal mixture. Lay on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, turn and sprinkle the second side with Parmesan cheese and bake 5 more minutes.

I dip them in the cornmeal/flour/salt/pepper breading and fry, fry, fry. Just like I do okra. I've never tried baking them, and the cheese sounds good. I'll have to try this.