PDA

View Full Version : New ACUs

haztacmedic
10-06-2005, 11:06
Ive got my first set. What do you all think about them? I like them better. I dont understand why they are making us use pin-on qualification badges. I also like not having to polish black boots any more on a regular basis!

Im interested in whay yall have to say.
HTM

The Reaper
10-06-2005, 11:07
Ive got my first set. What do you all think about them? I like them better. I dont understand why they are making us use pin-on qualification badges. I also like not having to polish black boots any more on a regular basis!

Im interested in whay yall have to say.
HTM

They suck.

TR

haztacmedic
10-06-2005, 12:58
TR: What has been your problems with them? Ive been doing a search to find why the pin-on badges are being forced on troops. With everything else being velcroed on, it makes no sense to me why this is. I like the ACUs because they are something new. The real test on them is yet to come.

TR: Also do you really think that the new camo digital pattern is really a universal pattern? I can see where the pattern "sticks out" like a sore thumb around my part of the country!

HTM

The Reaper
10-06-2005, 13:10
TR: What has been your problems with them? Ive been doing a search to find why the pin-on badges are being forced on troops. With everything else being velcroed on, it makes no sense to me why this is. I like the ACUs because they are something new. The real test on them is yet to come.

TR: Also do you really think that the new camo digital pattern is really a universal pattern? I can see where the pattern "sticks out" like a sore thumb around my part of the country!

HTM

Too hot, too thin, bad camo pattern in most locations, too much velcro, too expensive, too much time to put together, too many new uniforms.

If you had been through fatigue uniforms from the old cotton starchies, to the polyesters, to the jungles, to the cammies, to the original BDUs, to the improved BDUs, to the lightweight cotton BDUs, to the polyester BDUs, to the ACUs, you might find that the novelty of paying a couple of hundred dollars each time to make a fashion statement (and a progressively less functional uniform) is a bit much to ask of the troops.

Take the old ripstop OG-107 jungles and make them in the BDU and the DCU patterns. Move the lower jacket pockets to the sleeves. Make them for crewmen in Nomex. Voila! My favorite of the above!

TR

Surgicalcric
10-06-2005, 14:50
... Ive been doing a search to find why the pin-on badges are being forced on troops. With everything else being velcroed on, it makes no sense to me why this is.

Its a uniform issue like everything else I imagine.

A few of the sew shops on Yadkin Rd were making ACU panels with unit patches and flags sewn onto them to cover the sleeve velcro. They were also embroidering ABN wings, scuba bubbles, CIB's, etc onto a swath of ACU cloth and sewing loop velcro onto the ACU top to negate the pin on scare badges. Apparently someone got a case of the a$$ over at Division, atleast thats what I was told at Kim's, and put a stop to it fast and in a hurry.

Made sense to me, but what do I know...

I remember my father offering his opinion about the BDU's replacing the OG-107's; it was similar to TR's. Once you got them, OG-107's, dirty they change color to match their environment.

Crip

haztacmedic
10-06-2005, 16:18
TR, Surgical Cric: Good input. Are the OG-107s the same thing the Ranger Bns wore up to they went camo? TR: Your suggestion sounds good to me but the problem here is that it makes sense!!!

Surgical Cric: What you said about the shops outside of Bragg is interesting. Have you seen anyone wearing velcro jump wings etc?

Surgicalcric
10-06-2005, 16:44
OG-107's, see below for a visual. They were worn by Ranger Regt until sometime in the mid '80's as memory serves me.

As for the velcro jump wings, I did see a 1SG in one of the shops having the velcro panels added to his tops and the embroidery panel containing ABN, Pathfinder, and a CIB being made. A couple weeks later there was an editorial in the Paraglide where it was stated neither the patch panels or the scare badge panels were to be worn as they are not authorized for wear in AR670-1.

Crip

stakk4
10-06-2005, 17:47
My problem with the ACU's is they are designed to be usable on any terrain, and not specialized to any type of environment. This way, Soldiers are not supposed to need to draw different uniforms for desert or forest environments, its a universal pattern. (Kind of the same "one weapon for all contigencies" brilliance that brought about the XM8, and let's not get started on that one.)

I personally would rather have DCU's if I was going to the sandbox, and BDU's if I was going to the forest. I'm a firm believer that the military's specialized equipment makes a big contribution to success, not just in weapons and equipment, but in uniforms.

S

Detcord
10-06-2005, 22:41
Nothing beats OG-107's and issue jungle boots. I wore them almost everyday on active duty and in the reserves. Had a few pair of the ripstop cammies too. I wore them when I wasn't wearing the OG's.

When I first got to Bragg, I went straight to clothing sales and picked up several pair of OG's. I think they were something like $8 for the top or pants in 1984.

Pin on anything on a combat uniform is bad form. Sew on rank/badges is the way to go, and if you need a sterile uniform for a mission, you just wear a sterile uniform. The sterile uniforms are the easiest to prepare: You just buy them and hang them up. Simple and cheap.

Kind of like LRRP rations versus MRE's. The LRRP's were awesome, especially the chilli con carne...I never said that about MRE's. Nobody ever went from OG's to BDU's and said BDU's were awesome. Good luck with those ACU's...

Fod
10-07-2005, 07:05
I found that the ACU's are good looking, but they don't blend in well with most enviroments (even in a grassy enviroment that should of matched it very well) untill they are completely dirty. I don't really don't think they are worth the money. The velcro is also a mess if you through any kind of weeds.

Weazle23
10-07-2005, 08:19
I just got fitted for ACU's yesterday. They seemed comfortable for the 30 seconds I had them on. We'll see how they are after a few days in the field though.

Schutze74
10-07-2005, 08:35
I like the way the Digitals fit, much better than the Cammis, but I would much rather see the army go back to the OG-107. The OG's are comfortable, slanted pockets, blends in anywhere and are way less expensive then the ACUs or Cammis.

miller0331
10-07-2005, 09:32
They've been issued the ACUs here in AK and after talking to the troops they seem to like the fit and comfortability... After observing these guys on the range and getting ready for the field I'm not so sure how they really blend into the Alaskan terrain. Because of the varied colors and materials, the greyish green blend of the ACUs, a man really does stand out. I could see how it would work in an european city but in the boondocks they don't blend as well.

Call me prejudice, but I really like the Marine Corps new digital camo. I have a couple of sets of both and have fielded them several times and really like them. There was some actual thought put into the design and fit. Pockets on the sleeve where there's more access, removed the lower pockets on the blouse, put elastic around the leg pockets to lessen the possibility of loss of items inside, slant pockets on the chest, and internal pockets on the knees and elbows so pads can be slipped inside.

But you know, the military is like a big wheel, it'll rotate back to the spit and polish of yesterday after this conflict in Iraq is over. Some REMF officer will decide there is a way to starch and iron them and with enough elbow grease the average Snuffy can polish those rough side out boots. Hmmm... Maybe the Army go back to the old patrol cap and dump Shinseki's black beret... But that would be expecting too much practicality on the brass' part.

Guy
10-07-2005, 10:45
While Soldiers await the new ACU, AAFES and the Army G-1 Uniform Policy Section are receiving complaints regarding commercial retailers offering look-alike uniforms that don’t meet Army specifications. Official MCSS stores are operated only on military installations.

Take care.

Radar Rider
10-07-2005, 19:51
My comment on the whole deal: In too many places I've seen the comment that Soldiers are excited to get the new uniform. Bullcrap. I don't want it, but I'll wear it because I have to. They look like pajamas to me. Once again, I'll have to pay out of pocket to be in uniform.

I have many perfectly good uniforms. Most of them I paid for. I don't want to pay for more uniforms. :mad:

NousDefionsDoc
10-07-2005, 20:32
OG 107s - and a khaki one for the desert. I'm with TR.

Doc
10-07-2005, 21:45
I love OG-107's.

Ambush Master
10-07-2005, 22:01
No matter what the fabric, camo, ..... After about a half hour or less, what you are wearing is going to look JUST LIKE where you are at !!!!

Our "spray painted" jungles only got us off of the LZs. After that they were sweat soaked and the camo was lost.

WTFO !!

Later
Martin

Monsoon65
10-08-2005, 16:53
Remember the OG507 uniforms? The utilities? We got them when I first enlisted in the Air Force.

I think a complete set would set you back about $14. That's shirt and pants. Maybe another $10 to get your patches sewn on. $25 and you were good to go.

Now, the AF jumped on the same bandwagon as the USMC, etc, and we need our own set of BDUs.

Did you see that new blue tiger stripe they were trying to pawn off on us??? Gross! The pattern (cut and style) was OK, not too much of a change, but that camo had to go.

Well, we went to something similiar in color to the ACU, but will a vague tiger stripe pattern.

You know, I always thought we wanted to have the same uniform (i.e BDUs) to help with supply??

TitratetoEffect
10-09-2005, 09:57
Just got my ACU's last week. Haven't even worn them yet so I can't give anyone my .02 cents either way. What I do know is that I just put about $500 of BDU's and sewing costs into a box in the garage! WTF. I've only been in the Army 4 yrs. I got issued 2 pairs of winter and 2 pairs of summers at basic and that was suppose to last me the whole Q course and beyond? So, I got stuck with the bill. "You better have starches in garrison!" (cha ching) ... 'Ok now bring your field uniform" (cha ching) .... "What the hell! Where are your mods!" (cha ching) Man, for a while there I was YMC's customer of the year.

So, now everyone can walk around post with 'cool guy mods' on and not get yelled at by some SGM (the minimall is the best for this) Of course, that was one of those "know your operational environment" things. And also one of those 'big boy rules' things that a few people choose to ignore to their chagrin. (anyway, I digress)

I guess the most important point is do these uniforms work. My initial impression is a big, no. In the middile of the desert is this uniform going to decrease my visibility to the enemy? NATICK seems to think so...I mean really....it works in ALL environments. (now stop thinking and put the damn uniform on)

Maybe its just me but the desert is a brownish color, and the desert AO is where we seem to be conducting the majority of our operations.... then by all means a greenish color uniform is what we need, right?

My rant is over. I guess time will tell. :munchin

Back to lurking.

Phil

stakk4
10-09-2005, 10:57
Bear in mind that they also created the ACU design in the belief that future battles will mostly be fought in urban areas. But like I said, how about 1 uniform for forest, 1 for desert, 1 for arctic, and 1 for urban. Like I said, I'm a firm believer in specialized equipment. What's the mission.....what's the best equipment for the mission.....move out.

S

Oh yeah, and what are uniforms going to run us if they do get that Future Force Warrior system worked out in 5 years, like they are promising? (shudder)

Martin
10-09-2005, 11:24
Slight hijack based on stak's last comment:
One thing (among a billion others) that I don't understand about FCS is why they are so determined to have everything digitalized.

Despite the obvious encryption breaking possibility that could compromise everything sent and received, the system is said to be built sort of like a Peer to Peer network. Everyone in the FCS system would be a node which could relay the data until it reaches the appropriate destination or a stronger radio. Alas, at any time there are many ways the enemy can go about figuring out your positions, encrypted transmissions or not. Or use them as triggers.

Just doesn't appear to make sense...

Hijack over.

Martin

stakk4
10-10-2005, 07:28
If it involves computers, I guarentee someone can find a way to hack it. Maybe they could arrange a few blue-on-blues, or just keep track of all our locations and comms. Either way.

Sorry, I kinda encouraged some off-topic stuff.

S

longtab
10-10-2005, 08:42
Most guys that wore their newly issued ACU's on our last handful of jumps blew out the bottoms of their cargo pockets. In each case those guys had the usual in the pockets... flight gloves, balaclava, and/or neck gaitor. Now we all know some guys just have uniforms fall apart on them somehow. I went all of Ranger school and the Q-Course w/o uniform damage... maybe I had the easy lane.

I like ACU's since they are pretty close to my modified BDU's/DCU's 10th Gp has made for us. They are comfortable, but the pockets on the top are too small on the chest and sleeves though. But for a garrison uniform they're ok. Plus they won't cost me $30 to have all my crap sewn on them... cuz yes I have all my stuff sewn on garrison uniforms. And there IS a difference between garrison and actual combat uniforms.

On hits I wear extra modified DCU's that have slanted pockets on the sleeves with alot of velcro for stuff (FFI, ID placards, & flags), a modified collar, are cut-off 6 inches on the waist, have reinforced pad pockets, and are spray painted heavily to actually be used as camouflage.

The ACU's IMHO aren't that bad, heck the instructions tell you to NOT iron and press them. They have functional pen pockets. Yeah that may be gay, but how many CSM's and 1SG's lurk in the shadows to conduct spot checks on that unsuspecting Joe at the PX who doesn't have a pen and paper on his person. It has built in FFI, and the velcro which lends oneself with being able to remove unit insignia prior to a hit (Yeah, I doubt the Army will use it for that, but...). This last trip to Iraq I actually saw Big-Brother-Army units (4ID, 3 ACR, 1 Cav, 2 ID) modifying their DCU's with pockets on the sleeves and velcro unit patches for these very reasons. I think it’s a good step in the right direction for the mainstream Army as far as a functional uniform is concerned. Now if they would have only made a desert pattern they would be taking yet another step in the right direction.

My 2¢.

Yoshi
10-13-2005, 18:27
I have read that ACU's were to be issued in BCT starting early this month. Does anyone know if that's true? I'm going to OSUT at the end of the month and though I realize it doesn't really matter, I am rather curious to know if I will be wearing the ACU's or BDU's. Sadly I haven't been able to find a definite answer online.

Yosh

Surgicalcric
10-13-2005, 18:53
I have read that ACU's were to be issued in BCT starting early this month. Does anyone know if that's true? I'm going to OSUT at the end of the month and though I realize it doesn't really matter, I am rather curious to know if I will be wearing the ACU's or BDU's. Sadly I haven't been able to find a definite answer online.

Yosh

The word at SOPC was they will begin seeing 18X's in ACU's starting in March...

Crip

The Reaper
10-13-2005, 19:19
The word at SOPC was they will begin seeing 18X's in ACU's starting in March...

Crip

Good, they will be much easier to find.

Anyone see the lead story in the Army Times this week?

TR

Warrior-Mentor
10-13-2005, 22:37
My problem with the ACU's is they are designed to be usable on any terrain, and not specialized to any type of environment. This way, Soldiers are not supposed to need to draw different uniforms for desert or forest environments, its a universal pattern.

NATICK THINK:
"LET's ADD WHITE TO THE ACU PATTERN SO WE CAN USE THEM IN AN ARCTIC ENVIRONMENT AS WELL.
THEN WE'LL NEVER NEED ANOTHER UNIFORM..."

I personally would rather have DCU's if I was going to the sandbox, and BDU's if I was going to the forest. I'm a firm believer that the military's specialized equipment makes a big contribution to success, not just in weapons and equipment, but in uniforms.

S

Agree. I belive the Army was attempting to adopt the modified DCUs that you've seen many of the SF Troops wearing...unfortunately, someone couldn't take a good idea alone and had to mess with it...and try to make it universal...

JM

Shark Bait
10-19-2005, 12:58
It seems like they almost glow in the dark, especially if the moon is out. It appears that in attempting to come up with a universal camouflage, the Army has come up with something that works almost nowhere. If you are among sage brush in NM, you're OK, but that's about it.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
10-19-2005, 18:14
OG 107s - and a khaki one for the desert. I'm with TR.

I agree 100% The sleeve pockets would be a good add on too. I always liked there look when worn with a bare pistol belt in garrison duties.
:lifter

Para
10-20-2005, 04:55
Anyone see the lead story in the Army Times this week?

TR

The one about the ACU's falling apart and now the Army is having to go back and fix the problem?

Yeah, not only do we have a new uniform, but it won't hold up in the field/combat. I have had mine 3 months over here and split the time between ACU's, DCU's and civvies and they are already starting to come apart at the seems.

REMFlt
10-20-2005, 20:42
Haven't bought a set yet (already spent my money on uniforms and boots for a place I won't be going anyway), but they were, to use the parlance of the site, the "heat" at APG, where every body and their brother/sister was trying to buy them. I'm surprised nobody tried to starch them. From what I hear, they're very comfortable, but too thin.

longtab
10-22-2005, 12:59
:eek: b-b-but they work fine in garrison! I mean they have a pen pocket on the sleeve!

Leozinho
10-22-2005, 14:05
Anyone else think the Marines got it right with two separate versions of digicams: desert and woodland?

I haven't worn the ACU, but it seems that making them tougher and offering both woodland and desert versions would fix many of the faults mentioned here.

Radar Rider
10-22-2005, 15:52
Haven't bought a set yet (already spent my money on uniforms and boots for a place I won't be going anyway), but they were, to use the parlance of the site, the "heat" at APG, where every body and their brother/sister was trying to buy them.
Of course. I work in REMF central (Fort Meade). A month ago, I went to Fort Bragg on business; I thought that I would pick up some ACUs, but then I thought "Why?" I'm not paying for a set of pajamas that should be eventually issued to me anyway. I'm not here to impress anybody anyway.

Upon my return to work, I saw the funny of funnies: the Major that I work for walked into the office wearing ACUs. Yeah, I'm impressed. :rolleyes: Even funnier, she bought the fake ones.

Surgicalcric
10-22-2005, 16:13
...Even funnier, she bought the fake ones.

There is alot of that going around Bragg. All the General Jackson type stores have the non-issue ACU's. Lots of people wasting money on them...

Crip

oorah4jc
10-25-2005, 11:31
Fake ACUs? Wow. What's the difference? Anybody know about the ACUs advertised at www.USCav.com and whether or not they're the real deal?

david_reeves
10-25-2005, 18:05
The best thing to do is to wait until you're issued them, or your MCSS gets them in stock for retail sale.

A lot of the ones on the retail market (not MCSS) right now are seconds/rejects or made by Propper.

You'll be wasting your money.

Dave

oorah4jc
10-29-2005, 23:56
Roger that, they're expensive!

ccrn
10-31-2005, 04:52
We had these issued during MOB and have had them now for three months in the IZ.

For us they seem to be holding up well.

What I like about them is no ironing, the lower pockets on the legs, the zipper on the top, and no black.

What I dont like about them is the velcro period, no sewing on patches, and the collar.

They could be improved by replacing the velcro on the pockets with zippers, use three buttons on the front of the top instead of the little velcro patches, and change the shape and size of the shoulder pockets.

They seem to wear cooler after washing them at least five times.

The first time I was in everything was OD. Id go with a new and slightly improved OG-107 if I had a choice-

ccrn