PDA

View Full Version : SFAS for activated reservist

rtsoldier
10-04-2005, 20:59
I am currently an activated reservist at Fort Hood but am coming to active duty in April. Before I come to active duty I would like to attend SFAS, my department is slow right now so no time is as good as the present. I've been trying to go since I've been here,almost a year, but no answers as of now. I've asked the recruiter here on post and wasn't given much help with my current problem so i was curious if anyone on this website knew a way around this.

18C4V
10-04-2005, 21:42
I am currently an activated reservist at Fort Hood but am coming to active duty in April. Before I come to active duty I would like to attend SFAS, my department is slow right now so no time is as good as the present. I've been trying to go since I've been here,almost a year, but no answers as of now. I've asked the recruiter here on post and wasn't given much help with my current problem so i was curious if anyone on this website knew a way around this.

The problem lies in that you're in the Army Reserve and that there is no SF Groups in the Army Reserves. In order to go to SFAS prior to coming on AD you must either transfer to the National Guard or try to persuade your unit to pay for you to go to SFAS. I highly doubt the later would happen.

What is your goal? AD SF or NG SF. If AD SF, then put in a 4187 while at Hood and see the SF recruiter there. If NG SF, then you will still need to transfer to a state which has NG SF.

rtsoldier
10-05-2005, 13:26
I appreciate the help, thats exactly what I've been told since day one about there being no SF reserves groups. Thats the first I've heard about my unit paying for me to attend SFAS so I'll definatley try the 4187 and see what happens. Thanks.

18C4V
10-05-2005, 15:24
I appreciate the help, thats exactly what I've been told since day one about there being no SF reserves groups. Thats the first I've heard about my unit paying for me to attend SFAS so I'll definatley try the 4187 and see what happens. Thanks.

It won't be an easy task to get your unit to pay for it. I've only seen it done twice and that entailed a huge amount of paperwork along with a in-depth knowledge of fund allocation and re-imbursement.

As for the 4187 and the SF recruiter, be very patient you will have to be released from the Army Reserve in order to enlist for AD.

rtsoldier
10-05-2005, 18:32
Getting released from the reserves will not be a problem since I'm already activated, theres a new program of straight branch transfer if your activated. I would just like to attend SFAS and get it out of the way before I come to active duty. Hopefully I would be able to get orders straight to the Q course but we'll have to wait and see I reckon. Thanks again.

Guy
10-07-2005, 10:38
rtsoldier,

18C4V pretty much answered your question(s).

Talk to a NG recruiter.

Good luck!