PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces welcomes new commander, bids farewell to longtime leader

Dan
09-30-2005, 14:24
RELEASE NUMBER: 050930-01
DATE POSTED: SEPTEMBER 30, 2005

Special Forces welcomes new commander, bids farewell to longtime leader
By Joe Healy
U.S. Army Special Operations Command

FORT BRAGG, NC (USASOC News Service, Sept. 30, 2005) — Hundreds of Green Berets, former Special Forces commanders and command sergeants major, friends of special operations forces and family members gathered at Meadows Memorial Field here Sept. 30, honoring two veteran Special Forces officers during a U.S. Army Special Forces Command change of command ceremony.

With sunshine breaking through heavy clouds overhead, Brig. Gen. John F. Mulholland Jr., a veteran commander of 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) whom recently served at the Office of Military Cooperation in Kuwait, accepted command of USASFC from Brig. Gen. Gary M. Jones.

Jones had commanded USASFC since Sept. 15, 2003. During Jones’ tenure, the legendary Green Berets had never been busier. According to Lt. Gen. Philip R. Kensinger, Jr., commander U.S. Army Special Operations Command, 80 percent of all present-day Green Berets are either now deployed, preparing to deploy or are currently engaged in combat operations. During 2005, Green Berets have detained more than 300 terrorists in Afghanistan, and Special Forces are currently training and equipping the Iraqi Special Operations Brigade in preparation for Iraq’s Oct. 15 national referendum.

In a time-honored military tradition, the unit’s colors were passed; Jones handed them to Kensinger, then Kensinger handed them to Mulholland. The Passing of the Colors from the outgoing commander to the incoming commander symbolizes the command’s transfer of power.

“As I stand here this morning, looking at these magnificent colors, I feel a sense of pride in your accomplishments and pride in the regiment that is not easily described,” Jones said. “As I am prepared to relinquish command from the U.S. Army Special Operations Command (Airborne) I wanted all of you to know that this has been the highlight of my life.”

“I select to command no other unit,” Jones stated.

Looking across the parade field directly into the eyes of those whom he commanded for two years, Jones continued.

“Never in our history has one organization done more for your country to secure the populace from the horrors that exist in this world than you have done.”

Kensinger reminded the audience that inside the base of Special Forces Memorial Statue lays a time capsule. Inside the capsule is a copy of speech that President John F. Kennedy gave when he declared the Green Beret as a symbol of courage.

“Mike has been a great friend and confidante and will be missed,” Kensinger said of Jones.

In Jones’ final remarks he thanked his wife and children and said, “No man can make it without his family.”

“It is an honor and privilege to command the finest men in the world,” Mulholland said upon taking command. “I am humbled and you deserve nothing but the best. Nobody does it better than you.”

Mulhollands’ military awards and decorations include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, the Joint Service Achievement Medal, the Army Achievement Medal, the Joint Meritorious Unit Award, the Valorous Unit Award, the Special Forces and Ranger tabs, the Pathfinder Badge, the Master Parachutist Badge, the Military Freefall Badge and the Expert Infantryman Badge.

Jones has not disclosed his plans for the future.

The mission of USASFC is to train, validate and prepare Special Forces units to deploy and execute mission requirements of U.S. combatant commanders in each operational theater.
-usasoc-

Dan
Brig. Gen. Gary M. Jones (far right) relinquishes command of the U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne) to Brig. Gen John F. Mulholland (far left) during the change of command ceremony held at Meadows Memorial Field, Ft. Bragg, N.C. Sept. 30. (Photo by Gillian M. Albro, USASOC PAO)

Dan
Brig. Gen. Gary M. Jones, outgoing commander of the U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne) reviews the troops with Col. Eric Wendt, Chief of Staff, before relinquishing command to Brig. Gen John F. Mulholland during the change of command ceremony held at Meadows Memorial Field, Ft. Bragg, N.C. on Sep. 30. (Photo by Gillian M. Albro, USASOC PAO)

Dan
09-30-2005, 14:25
Brig. Gen John F. Mulholland, incomming commander of the U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne), Lt. Gen Philip R. Kensinger, Jr., commander, U.S. Army Special Operations Command (Airborne), and Brig. Gen. Gary M. Jones, outgoing commander of the USASFC (A), prepare for start of the change of command ceremony held at Meadows Memorial Field, Ft. Bragg, N.C. Sept. 30. (Photo by Gillian M. Albro, USASOC PAO)

Radar Rider
09-30-2005, 17:59
Time flies, doesn't it? When I got to USASFC(A), MG Boykin was the commander. I sat through CoCs that saw BG Toney assume command, to be superceded by MG Lambert. I carried the SF Guidon during the change-over from BG Toney to MG Lambert:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/JMKSFG2/SFCCoC.jpg

I'm the guy in the maroon beret. Weird.

I wish BG Mulholland the best, and that he be promoted to MG.