PDA

View Full Version : Flyers #1 Pick Attacks Teammate

Roguish Lawyer
09-29-2005, 16:05
Magician: This is the guy I was telling you about. He's being compared to Tocchet, but I don't think Tocchet ever did this! LOL

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=138118

OHL: Flyers pick attacks teammate

TSN.ca Staff

9/29/2005 2:22:24 PM

Philadelphia Flyers first round pick in the 2005 entry draft Steve Downie cross-checked a junior teammate in the mouth during practice.

According to a report in the Windsor Star, Downie came off the bench and cross-checked 16-year old Akim Aliu in the mouth, causing the Spitfires' 2005 top draft pick to lose three teeth.

Aliu and Downie reportedly fought twice in practice and Aliu, is unsure if he'll play in tonight's game against the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Aliu is 6'3", 209 pounds while Downie is 5'10 and 191-pounds.

The incident occurred on Wednesday after a drill that Aliu did not complete properly. The 18-year old Downie reportedly told Aliu to pick it up. Aliu then said something to Downie to cause him to come off the bench.

Aliu said Downie tapped him and when he turned around he was cross-checked.

Aliu's father is threatening to pull his son off the team.

"He (Downie) wants to kill my son," Aliu's father Tai Aliu told the Star Wednesday night. "If his life is not safe (in Windsor), I will take him home."

Spitfires head coach and general manager Moe Mantha said he was still looking into the matter.

"It's not the way I like a team to run," Mantha said. "It's not the way a team behaves."

Mantha told the Star that the two players had issues in recent weeks with Aliu saying he didn't like the way Downie treats rookies.

Neither player would comment to the paper about the details of Aliu's allegations.

Downie participated at Canadian junior team's training camp and is considered a strong candidate to make the team in December.

Goggles Pizano
09-29-2005, 19:44
Sounds like Flyer materiel to me. :D

DunbarFC
10-11-2005, 09:43
Sounds a lot like Kenny Linesman