PDA

View Full Version : language training for 19th Group

chewbacca
09-24-2005, 15:38
Hello all,

I have a question about language training for the 19th group. I understand the regional focus is south east asia/pacific. I've read of training opportunities by the 19th done in Korea, Philippines and Malaysia.

My question is what language are you trained with if assigned to the 19th group, specifically A Co. 1/19 out in Buckley WA.

v/r
Chewbacca

jwells78
09-24-2005, 15:53
chewy...I'm down at the Q now, and I'm with A co. 1/19th...our choices were: Korean, Tagolog, and Thai...a couple of the guys here got a waiver to go to Ft. Lewis and take Chinese...that's all I have to say about that...Later, J

QRQ 30
09-24-2005, 16:07
..that's all I have to say about that.

IMO that's too much. What happens happens and ain't nobody else's business. The "need to know" is always the final determining factor.

I believe this is an open forum. Like loose lips, loose keyboards shoot down planes. :boohoo

chewbacca
09-24-2005, 22:14
jwells,

Thanks for the info, congrats on making it thus far in the q course. I'm a little confused about qrq 30's comment. I'm new here, was my question a violation of opsec?

QRQ 30
09-25-2005, 05:37
specifically A Co. 1/19 out in Buckley WA.

I'm old fashioned about security. I still feel strange talking about things I did, even though they have been officially declassified. Our SPECIFIC area studies were conducted in security vaults, behind bars.

Of course I have studied German, Czech, Latino and Thai. That's pretty general. :D
While in Germany, the very fact that our team was oriented towards Czechoslovakia was restricted info which never left the Team room.

chewbacca
09-25-2005, 17:55
Roger that. Thank you for your service.

jwells78
09-26-2005, 13:50
Agreed QRQ. In the future, I will be a little more discreet... thanx :D

hoot72
11-16-2006, 07:11
chewy...I'm down at the Q now, and I'm with A co. 1/19th...our choices were: Korean, Tagolog, and Thai...a couple of the guys here got a waiver to go to Ft. Lewis and take Chinese...that's all I have to say about that...Later, J

I really think tagalog isnt so significantly needed now as it maybe was in the past. Most filipinos speak english or some basic english.

Thai is useful but again, its not really a theatre of combat, or rather I cant see it being a region fraut with possible combat or hostilities.

I think some understanding of indonesian and malaysian should be considered...both easy languages to learn and easy to spell/pronounce.

I can see Malaysia with its porous borders for insurgents from Mindanao crossing back and forth across its borders as a problem and Indonesia, well, I think we are all aware of the problems in indonesia.

Took me 2 years to re-learn indonesian and malaysian when I moved back to Sabah but I am sure you guys could pick it up fluently in half that time.