PDA

View Full Version : Pointers to good Internet resources for cracked Vertebrae?

Pandora
09-19-2005, 18:33
Favourite cousin cracked his 5th and 6th thoracic vertebrae this weekend when he dove into his swimming pool. No surgery dx'ed at this time; he will wear a mobility "halo" for 6-8 weeks. 39 y/o, in trim condition.

I have done a bit of research on line since Sunday, but would appreciate any recommended Internet sites which might provide further insight in regards to treatment, follow-up physio, pain management and outcome expectations.

Many thanks,
Pandora

Cincinnatus
09-19-2005, 20:22
Pandora,

Try PMing Eagle5US. I had to get smart on a medical issue, most ricky tick to care for a family member, and he got me a dynamite link to exactly the info I needed.

Pandora
09-19-2005, 21:47
Thanks. I'm eager for info, but hesitant to PM members without a personal invite normally. Any knowledge shared without being a burden is most welcome.

swatsurgeon
09-20-2005, 06:07
Pandora,
difficult question......the 2 options are operative stabilization and non-operative therapy. Each neurosurgeon will have criteria they use to decide which way to go, including the potential for (structural) instability, cord injury, ligament damage, activity level of the patient just to name a few. In terms of structural integrity, not to get you in over your head, there are 3 columns of the spine and depending on which of them, if any, have loss of stability, may dictate the need for operation.
The human body, if not overly smashed, can and will heal. If he just has compression fractures and no retropulsion (bone pushed into the cord), non-operative treatment may be okay.....it may not in the long run if he compresses, shifts, losses structural integrity in the future....it is a dynamic answer for a dynamic situation...it changes and there is no one way to deal with it....best to get 2 opinions from 2 different neurosurgeons that specialize in spine injuries.

ss

Razor
09-23-2005, 11:21
Favourite cousin cracked his 5th and 6th thoracic vertebrae this weekend when he dove into his swimming pool. No surgery dx'ed at this time; he will wear a mobility "halo" for 6-8 weeks...would appreciate any recommended Internet sites which might provide further insight in regards to treatment...

Try www.oneincrediblyluckymotherfucker.com. He might want to consider buying a lottery ticket.

Note: No, the URL above isn't real, so don't tell me its a broken link. ;)

Team Sergeant
09-23-2005, 11:32
Pandora,
difficult question......the 2 options are operative stabilization and non-operative therapy. Each neurosurgeon will have criteria they use to decide which way to go, including the potential for (structural) instability, cord injury, ligament damage, activity level of the patient just to name a few. In terms of structural integrity, not to get you in over your head, there are 3 columns of the spine and depending on which of them, if any, have loss of stability, may dictate the need for operation.
The human body, if not overly smashed, can and will heal. If he just has compression fractures and no retropulsion (bone pushed into the cord), non-operative treatment may be okay.....it may not in the long run if he compresses, shifts, losses structural integrity in the future....it is a dynamic answer for a dynamic situation...it changes and there is no one way to deal with it....best to get 2 opinions from 2 different neurosurgeons that specialize in spine injuries.

ss

Pandora, Meet SwatSurgeon,Trauma Surgeon, Director of Trauma and personal friend of Doc T and myself. I know for a fact he's got an MD after his name anlong with a few other titles.... :)
TS

Pandora
10-03-2005, 21:30
My thanks.

Currently doing fairly well. Going for further x-rays this week to determine how healing is progressing. Surgery still seems to be a very viable option. Stablization duration in Halo was increased recently from projected 6 - 8 weeks to 12 weeks.

I appreciate the advice and pointers given.