PDA

View Full Version : Germanys Elections

BMT (RIP)
09-18-2005, 11:08
Exit Poll: Germans Oust Schroeder's Party

By DAVID RISING
Associated Press Writer

BERLIN (AP) -- German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's government was voted out of office Sunday as conservative challenger Angela Merkel's party led in parliamentary elections, according to an exit poll.

The exit poll from ZDF public television showed Merkel's Christian Democrats with 37 percent of the vote and Schroeder's Social Democrats with 33 percent. However, the Christian Democrats' showing was worse than expected and made it uncertain they would win a majority with their preferred coalition partners, the pro-business Free Democrats, and make Merkel the nation's first female chancellor.

The vote centered on different visions of Germany's role in the world and how to fix its sputtering economy. Schroeder touted the country's role as a European leader and counterbalance to America, while Merkel pledged to reform the moribund economy and repair ties with Washington.

Pete
09-18-2005, 12:49
I think I like our system of government better. I like our regular cycle not the "call for new elections then form coalitions in order to govern" style.

The way the MSM works here we would be having a crisis every 6 months that called for new elections.

Airbornelawyer
09-18-2005, 13:17
Schroeder is not conceding. I suspect he is trying to figure out how he can renege on a campaign promise and form a coalition with the extreme leftists, assuming they are willing to join with him.

The CDU/CSU and FDP coalition having failed to get a majority, no scenario is particularly good news for the US, or for Germans for that matter. Either Schroeder manages to form a left-wing coalition of the Social Democrats, Greens and this new far-left alliance, or the Social Democrats join the CDU/CSU in a "grand coalition" which will manage to accomplish little or nothing and just meander through until the next election.

Galadriel
09-18-2005, 13:43
From a German's prospective (not all mine, but my best friend), or I should say West German....
The fall of the Berlin wall crippled Deutchland's economy, sending a prosperous West Germany into economic turmoil. Currently experiencing a 5% unemployment rate amongst its citizens (not googled, so this is appox); unemployment for the very employable. These aren't disabled people losing jobs. The country is constantly flooded with American media but few step far outside the borders. Places such as Obersdorff have gone so far as to refuse citizenship to those that can't prove authentic German bloodlines, even if you were born there. There is some animosity towards the Turks that reside there because they absorb government funds (medical, retirement, disability, etc...). The Deutchmark kept thier economy afloat to a certain degree, but when they changed over to the Euro many things became unaffordable. On the east German perspective, the fall of the wall opened up so many doors of potential. Gone are the days when you have to order a car months in advance and have only the choice of driving a trapee (sp?). To know Germany and its people, its easy to see that they are steadfast, proud, and solid people. WWI and WWII crippled them. Constant diligence in overwhelming obstacles is what makes a great nation. Although many foriegners view Americans as lazy, we didn't get to be the best by chance. We changed to fit the mold time and again.

luvanwilder
09-18-2005, 23:19
My girlfriend is German and was extremely upset with the outcome of this election. I don't really understand the result either. It seemed like almost every German around has been fed up with Schroeder and had nothing but bad things to say about him. I have heard many times from many Germans about how they look forward to the day that his party is ousted, and not just in BW but in all parts of Germany. So the day for this election finally arrives and nobody votes the way they had been talking, and to make matters worse a larger number than ever votes for the leftist party that everyone seems to believe are just communists in hiding. A lot of people over here are just flabbergasted with this whole mess. It now looks as though just what AL stated will occur, the gridlock that caused this election will more or less remain intact. I just don’t get it.

Schutze74
09-20-2005, 16:22
My German Professor from college keeps up w/ what's going on in Europe, Germany especially, and he has had very few nice things to say about Herr Schroeder. He is one of the main bodies to blame for the Euro and the unification of Europe. I am utterly against dropping borders in Europe! Once you let everyone start crossing the lines you compromise the security of the country and its people.

My mother is from Germany and my grandfather was a German officer in the Gebirgsjager. I tried to get a dual citizenship but because of the new laws recently passed I am not allowd my citizenship. The East did damage the West's economy, however those trapped in the East by the Commi Motherf$&#ers are true germans and deserve to be w/ their counterparts. And the Turks have been in Germany since before WWII, those that have lived in Germany for several generations do deserve what they've earned, but I am against the country allowing all the trash from the old Soviet Countries to move into Germany or Europe for that matter.

The Euro has done nothing more than cause inflation and no one can afford to survive on it anywhere. The Italians hate the Euro, so do the Germans. Germany had to lower the Marks value just to bring up the Franc, they had to lower their value for the French, what could be worse?! Schroeder will loose his next election and the Euro will crasch w/ in 10 years.