PDA

View Full Version : IDF generals risk int'l prosecution

ghuinness
09-12-2005, 17:27
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1126491574811

On Sunday, Maj.-Gen. (res.) Doron Almog - former OC Southern Command - skipped arrest at Heathrow Airport in London after he was warned not to disembark from an El Al flight since British detectives were waiting to arrest him. The arrest warrant had been issued on Saturday by the Bow Street Magistrate's Court per the request of a pro-Palestinian Muslim group. The warrant, reportedly the first of its kind issued in Britain on charges of war crimes, alleged that Almog in 2002 had ordered the demolition of 59 Palestinian homes in Rafiah.

hoepoe
09-13-2005, 01:46
Yup, just read it.

An immature response from me would be 'fuck 'em", actually, that's my response.

The Pals also expect PM Sharon to stand trial in the hague once out of office...

What more can i say, it's not good.

Hoepoe

CoLawman
09-13-2005, 07:58
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1126491574811

On Sunday, Maj.-Gen. (res.) Doron Almog - former OC Southern Command - skipped arrest at Heathrow Airport in London after he was warned not to disembark from an El Al flight since British detectives were waiting to arrest him. The arrest warrant had been issued on Saturday by the Bow Street Magistrate's Court per the request of a pro-Palestinian Muslim group. The warrant, reportedly the first of its kind issued in Britain on charges of war crimes, alleged that Almog in 2002 had ordered the demolition of 59 Palestinian homes in Rafiah.

1. Almog was one of the heroes of Entebbe.
2. His arrest was also being sought/supported by a Leftist wing of Israelis.
3. Another coup for Israeli Intelligence? General Almog was flying to England unsuspecting of what was awaiting him. The planned arrest was discovered and information transmitted to El Al foiling the plan.
4. The destruction of the 59 Palestinian homes was carried out to create a buffer zone to increase security and stop infiltrations. Seems logical to me.

jbour13
09-13-2005, 08:30
There you go being logical again and talking sense!!! :D

Logic holds no place in political attacking and I'm sure that there's more here than we're looking at. Hero or not, my crystal ball says patsy and he'll surely take the strike (not willingly) for the upper echelon.

Sad to see a warrior get his lifes work waxed for someone elses F***-up.

hoepoe
09-13-2005, 10:26
Next thing the UK lawyers will be hired to sue UK Armed Forces personell for the GWOT...

Hoepoe

CoLawman
09-13-2005, 11:49
Next thing the UK lawyers will be hired to sue UK Armed Forces personell for the GWOT...

Hoepoe

Not necessarily. Seems to be that there was a cry for War Crimes tribunal against a top level General of the Brit Army. Recall was that it was due to his actions in Ireland. I believe he was appointed to head the British Forces in Iraq.

Looks like UK lawyers were reluctant to pursue one of their own. (Not commenting on the merits of the allegations, just an observation)

Will have to do a google search to dig up the reported facts on the case.

Hmmmmm Google.....Sir... Iraq.... Hague ...........could be tough :confused:

hoepoe
09-13-2005, 13:08
Not necessarily. Seems to be that there was a cry for War Crimes tribunal against a top level General of the Brit Army. Recall was that it was due to his actions in Ireland. I believe he was appointed to head the British Forces in Iraq.

Looks like UK lawyers were reluctant to pursue one of their own. (Not commenting on the merits of the allegations, just an observation)

Will have to do a google search to dig up the reported facts on the case.

Hmmmmm Google.....Sir... Iraq.... Hague ...........could be tough :confused:

I didn't mean that iliterally, but it could happen.

Hoepoe

longrange1947
09-13-2005, 14:32
And they wondered why we faught that BS treaty on war crimes. :D

ghuinness
09-13-2005, 19:01
And they wondered why we faught that BS treaty on war crimes. :D

Now I'm curious....It looks like Israel didn't sign it.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/27a/104.html
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=\\ForeignBureaus\\arch ive\\200206\\FOR20020613g.html

So, how can they do this?

Edited to add:

Found the reason (I think). Maybe a lawyer can confirm. Doesn't this mean the US is not exempt?

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/624060.html

"Israelis are, indeed, exempt from being brought up on charges before the International Criminal Court in The Hague because Israel has not ratified the Rome Treaty that established the court. But countries such as Belgium, Spain, Germany and Britain have passed legislation giving their courts universal judicial authority with regard to crimes against humanity, war crimes and acts of genocide.

Under these laws, a country has the power to bring charges relating to such crimes against a foreign subject if the legal system in the subject's country of origin is unable or unwilling to handle such complaints."

longrange1947
09-13-2005, 19:57
Of course we could start laying for all Palistinian and Hamas personnel and charge them under the same guises. :D

aricbcool
09-13-2005, 20:06
"Under these laws, a country has the power to bring charges relating to such crimes against a foreign subject if the legal system in the subject's country of origin is unable or unwilling to handle such complaints."
How convenient. :rolleyes:

Team Sergeant
09-13-2005, 20:13
Maj.-Gen. (res.) Doron Almog - former OC Southern Command

Someone please tell the General he is welcome to stay at my house. If someone wants him they can go through me.

Team Sergeant

Ambush Master
09-13-2005, 20:38
When the "Tailwind" thing went down a few years back, (Time Warner/CNN) those of us that were in contact were warned to not travel international without first checking with the DOS !!! They informed us that we COULD be held on War Crime charges until this "discovery" was cleared up !!!

Not a laughing matter !!!

That, more than the fact that it smeared us, was why the "Heavy Guns" were trained on target.

Later
Martin