PDA

View Full Version : Flight 93 Memorial

Sweetbriar
09-09-2005, 18:11
I'm not liking it so much. What do you think?

http://www.zombietime.com/flight_93_memorial_project/

The Reaper
09-09-2005, 18:18
The crescent is a Moslem symbol.

I do not like it.

TR

CPTAUSRET
09-09-2005, 18:29
As a memorial to those brave souls on Flt 93, it sucks!

Terry

Gypsy
09-09-2005, 18:55
The crescent is a Moslem symbol.

I do not like it.

TR

Ditto.

It's disgusting if you ask me.

casey
09-09-2005, 19:54
Of all the millions of concepts that could have been utilized to show respect for those lost on Flight 93 why a red crescent? And why name it the "Crescent of Embrace"?

Four years after 911 are we still not goddamn sure who we're at war with???? Has none of the "educated" individuals involved taken even a few hours to learn about the killers of these fine Americans and what their motivation was? Could you imagine after WWll, a memorial to our fallen, designed as a rising sun peach orchard or a swastika shaped lily pond?

It is my humble opinion that some Americans still believe that political correctness and turning a blind eye will help us somehow against these ISLAMIC JIHADIST who are targeting us. You'll know these Americans right away... for they will be the ones crying on the news blaming the President, and shreiking thru tears "how could this happen"?!, when a bus loaded with Christmas shoppers, is blown to pieces by the "nice, quiet" college student, as he fullfills his duty to the religion of peace.

The Reaper
09-10-2005, 10:17
I would have thought an upraised granite fist sticking out of the ground would be more representative.

Actually, I would prefer a group of statues of brave Americans rushing a cockpit full of terrified Moslem hijackers, or the upraised hand around the throat of a Moslem hijacker, but I think the committee might draw the line there.

As Stalin said, the capitalists will sell us the rope that we hang them with.

TR

Bill Harsey
09-10-2005, 10:30
You all are getting this one right.
Symbols mean things so if you don't want what your doing mistaken for what your trying to avoid....

- and speaking in design terms only-

...Get the hell away from it!

HOLLiS
09-10-2005, 10:47
I agree, what is this idiot doing, making a memorial for the terrorists?

Team Sergeant
09-10-2005, 10:48
GRIT LEIPERT

Grit Leipert has joined the office of Paul Murdoch Architects in August 2003 as a project designer. Her experiences with the firm include the Pierce College Library Renovation, Bruggemeyer Memorial Library Renovation and Expansion, Council District 9 City Hall, Oxnard Library Extension/Renovation, Flight 93 National Memorial Competition and the University of Judaism Library Renovation.

Grit graduated from GH Kassel, Germany in 1998 with a Bachelor in Architecture and in 2000 with a Master of Architecture and Urban Design before receiving her Master of Architecture degree from Sci Arc. She was awarded international scholarships for excellence in Architecture by the German National Merit Foundation and by the DAAD. Her experience includes study at the University of Manchester, UK under a grant by the Erasmus Program of the European Union and work experience in Los Angeles and Germany. She previously worked for Eric Owen Moss Architects, Amphibian Arc and Arquitectonica.

http://www.paulmurdocharchitects.com/people-grit.htm

Bill Harsey
09-10-2005, 15:11
Looks like this individual is located in RL's neighborhood.

This "red crescent" design is an insult to those who died on that flight and the rest of the United States of America.

Anyone want to guess why I got out of doing architectural and public projects?
It's bullshit like this.

HOLLiS
09-10-2005, 18:21
This "red crescent" design is an insult to those who died on that flight and the rest of the United States of America.

That is MOST DEFFINATELY.... A AFFIRMATIVE..... SIR!

Gypsy
09-14-2005, 18:03
An update...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050914/ap_on_re_us/sept11_memorial

Architect Offers Changes to 9/11 Memorial By KIMBERLY HEFLING, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 9 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The architect of the memorial to a plane downed in Pennsylvania on Sept. 11, 2001, said Wednesday he would work to satisfy critics who complained that it honors terrorists with its crescent-shaped design.

Designer Paul Murdoch said he is "somewhat optimistic" that the spirit of the design could be maintained.

"It's a disappointment there is a misinterpretation and a simplistic distortion of this, but if that is a public concern, than that is something we will look to resolve in a way that keeps the essential qualities," Murdoch, 48, of Los Angeles, said in a telephone interview.

Murdoch's design, "Crescent of Embrace," was selected last week during a meeting of the Flight 93 Advisory Commission from five narrowed down from 1,011.

The recommendation of the 15-member jury consisting of design professionals and family and community members still needs to be approved by the Interior Department.

Its shape is a circle broken by the flight pattern of the plane, which supporters have said follows the topography of the crash site.

Chris Martin, spokesman for Flight 93 National Memorial, said Wednesday family members and federal advisory commission members turned to Murdoch for assistance.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., sent a letter Tuesday to National Park Service Director Fran Mainella saying many have questioned the shape "because of the crescent's prominent use as a symbol in Islam — and the fact that the hijackers were radical Islamists."

Will Adams, spokesman for Tancredo, said Wednesday Tancredo would be happy with the changes only if the crescent shape is removed.

Murdoch said he's not sure exactly what changes he would make.

The memorial also consists of a chapel with 40 metallic wind chimes — one for each victim. It would include pedestrian trails and a roadway to a visitor center and the actual crash site. At the site would be a crescent-shaped cluster of maple trees and a white marble wall inscribed with the victims' names.

"We called it a crescent because it was a curving land form. We called it 'Crescent of Embrace' because of the symbolic gesturing of embracing this place," Murdoch said. "There's no desire to make this a divisive memorial."

Gordon Felt, of Remsen, N.Y., whose brother Edward Felt was killed on Flight 93, said he called Tancredo's office and said Tancredo should have held off on his criticism.

"I wish he would come out to Somerset and see topography of the land," Felt said.

Felt said it is natural for the design to evolve.

"I think the topography of the land would really dictate there would be some kind of arc," Felt said.

Flight 93 was flying to San Francisco from Newark, N.J., when it was hijacked and crashed 65 miles outside Pittsburgh. The official 9/11 Commission report said the hijackers crashed it as passengers tried to take control of the cockpit.

___

On the Net:

Flight 93 Memorial Project: http://www.flight93memorialproject.org

The Reaper
09-14-2005, 22:54
Did anyone tell the designer that it was to be a memorial to the passengers, not the terrorists?

TR

Sweetbriar
09-15-2005, 09:47
What about breaking the crescent arc wide open on the far side? Breach the curve and scatter some of those red maples about. Islam may have tried to embrace the passengers, but they broke through. Simplicity of design and a more accurate remembrance of how it went down.

Gypsy
09-15-2005, 11:49
I'm not fond of the crescent in general but that's not too bad of an idea Sweetbriar. TR's design ideas struck a chord.

I can almost see the use of red maple...if only to signify the blood of our fellow citizens, but interspersed throughout the grass on the sides of simple path with a monument or wall at the end, perhaps inscribed with the date, "Let's Roll" and the names of all who were killed.