PDA

View Full Version : D-Day Museum looted?

rubberneck
09-09-2005, 17:43
I heard on the news tonight that some flithy piece of trash looted the D-Day Museum in NOLA. Who does such a thing. Jewlery, cash, electronics, clothes, etc I understand but a national Heritige Museum? Did they really think the weapons on display there still work?

As a graduate of the University of Wisconsin and a former football player there I had the honor of meeting Stephen Ambrose (played for the UW in the late 50's) several years before his death. It is hard to fathom that his lifes work might have been destroyed by a pack of idiots. I am glad his isn't alive to see it.

The Reaper
09-09-2005, 18:16
I was waiting for that to happen.

I also noticed the troops breaking in to check for storm victims, then leaving buildings open and unsecured for the looters to just stroll in behind them.

Not sure what the solution is, other than to shoot anyone found on the streets after a certain date and time.

TR

Airbornelawyer
09-09-2005, 19:40
I heard on the news tonight that some flithy piece of trash looted the D-Day Museum in NOLA. Who does such a thing. Jewlery, cash, electronics, clothes, etc I understand but a national Heritige Museum? Did they really think the weapons on display there still work?

As a graduate of the University of Wisconsin and a former football player there I had the honor of meeting Stephen Ambrose (played for the UW in the late 50's) several years before his death. It is hard to fathom that his lifes work might have been destroyed by a pack of idiots. I am glad his isn't alive to see it.
What "news" did you hear this on?

Reporters, historians and museum officials have been discussing the state of the museums in the storm's path since shortly after it passed. No credible report of looting has come out, and in fact, people have been in contact with museum officials who report no damage to the museum from the storm and no looting. The museum shop's storage room, located in an adjoining piece of property, was reportedly damaged and appeared to have been entered, but not the museum itself.

Here is an image of the street in front of the museum taken on September 1. Note the armed personnel in the vicinity.

Airbornelawyer
09-09-2005, 19:47
I slightly altered the thread title.

Here, by contrast, is a military museum that suffered heavily. This is Jackson Barracks Military Museum, located at Jackson Barracks (headquarters of the Louisiana National Guard) east of New Orleans. This area was almost completely submerged. The first image was taken on September 1. The second was taken on September 4. The waters can be seen to have receded somewhat.

Ambush Master
09-09-2005, 19:58
It was just on NBC !! The looters caused more damage than the storm !!! They showed footage taken inside the Museum.