PDA

View Full Version : Embassy bomb conspirator shown leniency due to age!

Maisy
09-08-2005, 17:00
This was from one of our national papers (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16541570%5E2702,00.html) today.

Judges show leniency to embassy bomb conspirator
Sian Powell, Jakarta correspondent
September 09, 2005

ONE of the militants behind the bombing of the Australian embassy in Jakarta a year ago today has been sentenced to seven years in prison, in a seemingly lenient verdict that took into account his youth and inexperience.

Heri Sigu, 23, also known as Anshori, helped mix the explosives packed into the white utility that exploded in the embassy driveway, killing 10 innocent people and the suicide bomber behind the wheel.

After the verdict was delivered in the South Jakarta court, Sigu raised his fist in the air and shouted "Allahu Akbar", or "God is great", three times.

Prosecutors had dropped the primary charge of terrorism planning, but Sigu was found guilty of "evil conspiracy" for surveying the embassy before the bombing, helping sift the potassium used in the explosives and buying nitrate. He was also convicted of sheltering terrorists.

"If I am sentenced with a decision based on earth-bound law, I will not accept it, because I'm nobler and higher than that decision," the militant said later.

"If the decision is based on the Koran, it will be fair and I will accept it."

Sigu said he would appeal against the ruling.

In coming to the sentence, the judges balanced his lack of remorse against his relative youth.

Prosecutor Andi Herman had accused Sigu, who had taught religion at an Islamic boarding school in Java, of "having individually or with others ... used violence or the threat of violence to give rise to terror or widespread fears or massive casualties".

OK, my question is this. The guy is 23 years old!!! Leniency due to youth and inexperience??? WTF!?! :mad:

Gypsy
09-08-2005, 17:02
He's an adult, he knew exactly what he was doing. There should be ZERO tolerance.

zeroalpha
09-08-2005, 20:49
yet get caught over there with a joint or an E and its 20 years....

sigh....

Spartan359
09-08-2005, 21:22
Seven years to rot in jail to build up more hate. What a bunch of shit. :mad:

Maisy
09-08-2005, 22:07
More like seven years to train up and learn from the more experienced Jemah Islamiyah members in a nice, quiet environment, uncontaminated by such things as law, honour, "western" ideology, etc.

He should have just enough time in there to be really experienced when he gets out. :rolleyes:

luvanwilder
09-09-2005, 00:00
I have to wonder if some sort of personal bias affected the sentencing authority. This smacks of clandestine approval for the action. This clown should have been sentenced to at least 50 years, that way when he got out at 73 his relative experience and old age would perhaps serve to prevent further TERRORISM, or execution would settle the issue permanently. The defiant and unremorseful way he acted should have caused a lengthening of his sentence, not a reduction in it.....just my take on this big ball of crazy.

Maisy
09-09-2005, 00:18
Ah, the Indonesian court system *shrug*.

The acknowledged ringleader of the Bali bombings, Abu Bakar Bashir (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=58258), has recently had his 30-month sentence reduced by 41/2 months as part of celebrations marking Indonesia's 60 yrs of independence. Says it all, really. :rolleyes:

luvanwilder
09-09-2005, 11:42
Well they must want to get him out in time to make some big fireworks for a future celebration. Maybe there will be some justice in this world and he will blow himself up while making his party favors. Disgusting