Wow, some incredible pictures there.

Smokin Joe
09-01-2005, 00:59
Read it last week.

Good stuff.
Great LTC and CSM.

CoLawman
09-01-2005, 07:44
WTF? Has Michael Yon not been informed to do his reporting from the Green Zone like all of the more experienced and credentialed reporters from CNN, Reuters,Time, Newsweek, etc? What a showboat. He actually embeds himself with a combat unit just to report accurately about those damn brave soldiers. What is the blogosphere coming to. Before you know it people will start using blogs to obtain their information on what is going on in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Three heroes that Day.......And Mr. Yon was one of them.

Roycroft201
09-01-2005, 13:04
It's difficult to find the right adjectives to describe Michael Yon's reporting and his writing on his blog. Thank god we have him.

But if he does not win a Pulitzer Prize for some of his photography, then a grave misjustice will have been done.

The rules of the Pulitzer state that one must be part of an 'organization'.

Only published reports and photographs by United States-based newspapers or daily news organizations are eligible for the journalism prize.

Michael is an independent journalist, and the man deserves to be properly recognized for doing what most other journalists are failing at so miserably.

Bill Harsey
09-01-2005, 13:15
Put him in the running for the first ProfessionalSoldiers.com award for best Journalism.
It could be called the CPB (Camera, Pen and Boots)

Gypsy
09-01-2005, 17:46
I've been reading his blog for months now...the man is incredible. Be sure to read his archives, from the beginning. His dispatches are some of the finest writing I've read.

He's former Military as well.

I've communicated with him a few times, he is a very gracious and dedicated yet humble individual. The next time he is being interviewed on air (there is an east coast station that occasionally schedules him) I'll post up the information.

Ambush Master
09-01-2005, 18:45
He's former Military as well.

I've communicated with him a few times, he is a very gracious and dedicated yet humble individual.

OK, you're DRAFTED to invite him in !!!

Gypsy
09-01-2005, 18:49
Roger that!

I'll also PM you some info you can share in private with the other QPs.

Gypsy
09-01-2005, 20:05
This is the transcript of an interview a day or so after Michael posted Gates of Fire. You'll need to scroll down the page (less than half way) to the post titled "Mosul update from Michael Yon."

http://www.radioblogger.com/archives/august.html

alphamale
09-02-2005, 07:28
Put him in the running for the first ProfessionalSoldiers.com award for best Journalism. Mr. Harsey, killer idea!

I sent him a small donation for a new camera.

FrontSight

mumbleypeg
09-02-2005, 09:41
NDD,
Thanks for the link! That is good stuff!

one-zero
09-02-2005, 12:02
great grassroot type reporting...I'm sending this link to a congressman friend in the beltway. I'm sure some of you wouldn't be too suprised to learn they get most of their info interpreted from regular media - not enough time to listen to American soldiers telling them what's really going on or too busy to read AARs. As Yon states; the enemy reads to, so he can't post all the stories worth telling - someday...

Gypsy
09-02-2005, 12:23
He's planning on writing another book...although I'm sure some of the "best stories" still might not be published.

He generally posts weekly, you can sign up for an email notice of updates. Gates of Fire was actually published a few days earlier, pulled and subsequently reposted on the 31st.

HOLLiS
09-02-2005, 12:46
I would like to add my voice to the all of those who have already thanked NDD for posting Michael Yon's site. I added it to my favorite sites to read. No wonder CNN, CBS etc are lossing the ratings.

FullGallop
09-03-2005, 13:50
I've been reading him for some time now. Every time I get an email notice of his postings it makes my day.

all the best
FG

brewmonkey
09-03-2005, 14:05
Mr. Harsey, killer idea!

I sent him a small donation for a new camera.

FrontSight

Very cool. Since he is an indy embedded journalist he is footing the bill for this whole thing. Every dime we donate means he can stay that much longer and complete his mission.

magician
09-03-2005, 17:03
I also think that Mike is an obvious candidate for a Pulitzer. The guy is writing some amazing stories, and his work routinely brings tears to my eyes.

I imagined that the guy would be overwhelmed with emails, and so I resisted writing to him....but one day....I just had to reach out and tell him that I thought that he was doing some incredible work. He wrote back to me, and was very gracious.

He is blazing a new trail in so many ways.

And there is no doubt that he is telling the story of that unit...in ways that are absolutely unique.

I cannot say enough about him.

Gypsy
09-19-2005, 22:41
OK, you're DRAFTED to invite him in !!!

Reporting in AM...you have incoming.

aricbcool
10-13-2005, 19:33
Update,

Michael Yon is back in Iraq. He hasn't said who he's embedded with yet, but he's got a new dispatch describing the trip.

FYI,
Aric

FullGallop
10-13-2005, 20:01
I'm looking forward to how he covers the constitutional referendum coming up. It's always good to read his stuff and compare it with the MSM take on things.