PDA

View Full Version : Coming from another branch

Militaryguy
08-30-2005, 11:14
I am currently in the U.S. Air forces as Security Forces, and I am an E-3 about to be an E-4. My unit isn’t like PJ’s or CCT but we are the most high speed out of the Security Forces in the AF and because of what we do we get to go to all different schools. I have gone to Airborne and I stay up to date on qualifications jumps in between deploying, in march next year I am going to push for Ranger school and sniper school, I should be able to go to them and make it through ok, we have a few Air force Rangers in our unit who train us up really well. I want to be able to try out of Special Forces with in the next few years and I have done some searching around to see how the Air Force can try out for it but I haven’t found much, actually nothing. When I was at Ft. Benning at jump school I saw a flyer that said all branches can try out for Special Forces, and other people told me you have to be invited to try out, I just want to figure this out. I want to know if for the Air Force I can try out and if I make it through what happens from there? And I want to go to Ranger for further military knowledge on ground and combat skills, but does any one know if that can help me to get selected for try outs. Thank you.
-Nat

gtcrispy
08-30-2005, 17:56
I have a guy with me in Phase 3 right now who did go through SFAS while he was in the Air Force. He said he had an agreement with those who ran SFAS. He was originally a TAC-P at Pope AFB. I would say talk to your chain of command and then get in contact with the necessary people who run SFAS. I'm sure others will have more detailed information.

The Reaper
08-30-2005, 19:06
Maybe, if you agree to branch transfer and are selected to attend.

Do you want to be an SF soldier, or just get another cool school?

SFAS without the SFQC means little.

TR

Ammodawg
09-08-2005, 01:48
I am AD Air Force myself and the only options my career advisor has told me is to submit for "Blue to Green" (which is not guarenteed to be approved) or to finish my enlistment and then enlist Army.

I will most likely do the second option as that would allow me to enlist with an 18X contract, and it gives me about a year and a half to train/prepare. (coming from a non-combat oriented AFSC I need it ;) )

As stated earlier, I would talk to a career counselor at your MPF to see what options are available to you.

Militaryguy
01-06-2006, 03:00
To The Reaper, I am looking to cross over to the Army once I complete training, not just to go to a cool school. I still am having trouble finding info, on getting over there, but if it comes down to it once I complete Ranger training I will do a Blue to Green.

Eagle5US
01-06-2006, 09:02
To The Reaper, I am looking to cross over to the Army once I complete training, not just to go to a cool school. I still am having trouble finding info, on getting over there, but if it comes down to it once I complete Ranger training I will do a Blue to Green.
Looks like you answered your own question.

PA

The Reaper
01-06-2006, 09:55

I think that you should talk to an SF recruiter for career advice, not some anonymous people on the internet.

Having said that, I have seen a lot of Marines and a few Navy come through SFAS, but cannot recall any AF personnel offhand. Probably not too many people in the AF who really want to be soldiers, and those who do are already PJs or CCT.

I don't think a diploma from Ranger School will get you too much further with SF, but you will learn a lot about being a soldier, and about yourself.

Good luck.

TR

Neo
01-07-2006, 14:43
I have a guy with me in Phase 3 right now who did go through SFAS while he was in the Air Force. He said he had an agreement with those who ran SFAS. He was originally a TAC-P at Pope AFB. I would say talk to your chain of command and then get in contact with the necessary people who run SFAS. I'm sure others will have more detailed information.

Was he in the process of going from blue to green? TACP's get a shot at Ranger school, but never heard of one going to SFAS and than the SFQC. Must be a squared away dude.

The Reaper
01-07-2006, 14:55

I would not bet on the odds of making a drug deal with the SFAS cadre to get into a class these days.

Best bet is to apply for the appropriate program and get orders to go the old fashioned way.

The agreeement is usually that the individual must get a release from his service to attend, and if he is selected he must complete an inter-service transfer to the Army to get a shot at the SFQC. Most services do not like people leaving for another service, so you should probably have a Plan B if you are not selected.

TR

Ammodawg
01-09-2006, 04:40
I have been in e-mail contact with an Army recruiter and was told in order to get an 18X contract, I would need to enlist in the Army after my Air Force enlistment was finished. I could attempt the Blue to Green program, but it is not guarenteed to be approved and it also would mean applying to SFAS from a regular Army unit, which could take however long.

If you want to join Special Forces with the least amount of waiting and strings attached, enlist in the Army with an 18X contract after your service is up with the Air Force according to this recruiter.

Best of luck to you, I have until July to make up my mind what I am going to do. I have to extend my enlistment to get an assignment from my current station, but if I extend my enlistment but choose not to re-enlist, I will be past the "30yrs of age prior to ship date" clause for SF. So the rest of my military career is coming down to the next 7months. :munchin

gtcrispy
01-20-2006, 10:57

Was he in the process of going from blue to green? TACP's get a shot at Ranger school, but never heard of one going to SFAS and than the SFQC. Must be a squared away dude.

I don't think he was doing Blue to Green. He had been to Ranger School and had one deployment to Afghanistan before he went to SFAS. This took place a year ago so like The Reaper said it may take more these days to do so.