PDA

View Full Version : Air Expo 2005

lrd
08-27-2005, 11:54
If any of you are going to be in this area next weekend, you might want to come on up/down to PAX for the airshow. I'm looking forward to seeing the Golden Knights live for the first time.

9 a.m. Gates Open

11:30 a.m. Air Expo '05 kicks off with the Army's Parachute Team, the Golden Knights

Scheduled to perform:
Dan Buchanan in his Airwave Glider
Nancy Lynn in her EXTRA 300L
Larry Kelley in his B-25
Art Nalls is his L-39 Albatross
Speed For Hire
Patty Wagstaff in her EXTRA 300S
Eric Beard in Russian Thunder
A-10 East Coast Demonstration Team
Dale Snodgrass in his F-86 Sabre
Sean Carroll in his Yak-9
Red Eagle Air Sports
Sktypers

2:45 p.m. Fat Albert

3 p.m. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels
Naval Air Station Patuxent River, which reports to Naval District Washington, is located in St. Mary's County approximately 65 miles south of Washington, DC.
http://www.navair.navy.mil/airexpo05/index.cfm

Gypsy
08-27-2005, 13:36
Have fun L. Last weekend I went to our Air and Water show, disappointingly there was an incident about 15 minutes into the finale with the Thunderbirds. :( The right wing and slot planes touched wings while flying in a four-plane diamond formation at 350 mph. The collision caused a four-foot section of missile rail to fall into Lake Michigan. Everyone was okay, but they immediately grounded the jets and cancelled the show for Sunday also.

Team Sergeant
08-27-2005, 14:50
If any of you are going to be in this area next weekend, you might want to come on up/down to PAX for the airshow. I'm looking forward to seeing the Golden Knights live for the first time.

Yeah yeah the Golden Knights. I've jumped with them once or twice. Taught them a few things like turning points, RW, Formation Skydiving, Canopy Formation, Freestyle Skydiving, Skysurfing, Freeflying, Freefall Style & Accuracy Landing, Sport Accuracy and Canopy Piloting etc.

They were amateurs compared to my freestyle form of jumping. Why I showed them I could do eight flips, three rolls, an inverted flat spin all in about 4 seconds after leaving the tailgate of a C-141 and while wearing full combat equipment! Accuracy, hell, I got on the right plane almost every time! Amateurs I tell ya….. ;)

TS

lrd
08-27-2005, 15:52
They were amateurs compared to my freestyle form of jumping. Why I showed them I could do eight flips, three rolls, an inverted flat spin all in about 4 seconds after leaving the tailgate of a C-141 and while wearing full combat equipment! Accuracy, hell, I got on the right plane almost every time! Amateurs I tell ya….. ;)

TS
I'd buy a ticket to see you do that...another ps.com fundraiser, perhaps? :D

Sweetbriar
08-27-2005, 17:11
I love airshows! I LOOOOOVE the Blue Angels! We had the Golden Knights here a few years ago and they were great. We are having our first airshow again this October, and the Blue Angels are coming, and I hope we get a military parachuting demonstration team, too. I am so jealous of folks who live near the big installations and get to see large shows more often. I had heard that Jacksonville has a fantastic show - something about Marines assaulting the beach, too? My goodness, I've turned into a chatterbox at just the thought of it! Enjoy, lrd!

aricbcool
08-29-2005, 17:06
I'd buy a ticket to see you do that...another ps.com fundraiser, perhaps? :D

$100!

Jatx you want some of this?

:D

--Aric

Bill Harsey
08-29-2005, 17:50
lrd,
If you see Patty Wagstaff tell her howdy for me.
We had a dinner together with my friend (air show performer, aircraft builder) Steve Wolf in Portland some years ago. Oh yeah, the Blue Angels were there too.

lrd
08-29-2005, 18:03
lrd,
We had a dinner together with my friend (air show performer, aircraft builder) Steve Wolf in Portland some years ago. Oh yeah, the Blue Angels were there too.
Will do, Mr. H. We're supposed to have tickets to a pre-show meet-the-performers shindig.

Bill Harsey
08-29-2005, 18:58
Will do, Mr. H. We're supposed to have tickets to a pre-show meet-the-performers shindig.
I thought you might have the inside track. :D

lrd
09-02-2005, 21:27
lrd,
Bill: I had the distinct pleasure of standing with "Tex" Hill (http://b-29s-over-korea.com/texhill/hill.html)** as I watched Patty fly over the Chesapeake. She was terrific, and said to tell you hi.

Ladies: I have a signed poster for you from the Golden Knights. :)

** John Wayne's wingman represented him in THE FLYING TIGERS.

Gypsy
09-02-2005, 21:31
L...are you serious?!

lrd
09-02-2005, 21:43
L...are you serious?!
I'm always serious.

Gypsy
09-02-2005, 21:47
I'm always serious.

You rock, Woman.

lrd
09-02-2005, 22:06
You rock, Woman.
Now to find a functioning scanner...

If anyone is interested, this is a good article on the Flying Tigers: http://history1900s.about.com/library/prm/blflyingwiththetigers1.htm

Bill Harsey
09-03-2005, 09:07
Thanks!
What an honor to meet Tex Hill.

lrd
09-03-2005, 15:28
Thanks!
What an honor to meet Tex Hill.
An honor, indeed. I got to visit with him a little more today and hope to do so again. I bought his book and he wrote a very nice note in the front. At 90, his handwriting is better than mine. lol There is a great picture of him with John Wayne that I'll try and post if I can get it scanned.

What a perfect day for an air show. Clear blue skies and just enough breeze to keep us cool. The Golden Knights jumped in with the flags at 11:15, and the show kept moving until the Blue Angels finished around 4:00.

Patty was even better today. She had all the guys around me going, "Holy Sh*t!" again and again. We are a jaded audience -- between the FOGs and the young test pilots stationed here. She impressed them.

I like watching the Blues, because what they do in an air show is what our guys and gals are doing 24/7/365 out in the fleet. The BAs just do it a little lower and tighter. One of our former troops is in their crew -- that makes it a little more personal.

Great day.