PDA

View Full Version : Living the Martial Way

Tubbs
08-22-2005, 23:20
I just finished reading "Living the Martial Way", by Forrest E. Morgan and I found it to a be a well thought out and insightful look at what it means to be a true warrior.
For those that are warriors it articulates and provides good insight on some of the intangibles and foundations of character that make a person a true warrior. It provides a wonderfull stepping stone for introspection and personal growth bringing to the forefront characteristics that all warriors have but they don't always recognize, allowing the individaul to polish those traits.
For those that are not warriors it provides an excellent insight into why these individuals think and act the way that they do. It also has the potential to lay the ground work for those who wish to assume the mantal of warriorship.
I especially liked the authors thoughts on training and honor ( a grossly misunderstood concept these days).
I would reccomend this book to anyone who has not read it especially those involved in the martial lifestyle.

Kyobanim
08-23-2005, 03:50
I thought the book was okay. Morgan should have had it written by someone who could write. Too much like a text book.

NousDefionsDoc
08-23-2005, 07:07
Tough crowd Kyo - LOL

I have it. It's ok, but I think it would benefit a young person just starting out more than a more experienced person. If you want to get a little more fanatical about it, try The Way and The Power by Lovret (sp).

Tubbs
08-23-2005, 16:02
Too much like a text book.

I agree, but I expected it to be like that from the begining so that didn't really put me off.
I appreciated the martial arts aspect of the book being that I spent several years of my pre-Marine Corps life devoted to the study of Karate.
NDD, you did spell his name right. Its Frederick J. Lovret. I looks like an interesting book and I will have to get ahold of it.
However, I tend to disagree with the philosophy that he uses as the cornerstone of his work. I have encountered it several times in my studies of eastern philosophy (these were associated with my Karate instruction) and I find it to be largely based on circular reasoning. I also feel that it is an agrandizement of a few simple truths that are self evident throughout life.
I thought that along those lines "Bushido, the Warriors Code" by Inazo Nitobe was one of the best philosophy books that I have read.