PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational Music

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-22-2005, 14:32
My daughter is a flute teacher and professional performer and has been asked to put together a 15 minute performance for the folks in Hasbrook Heights for a 9/11 rememberance. The town of Hasbrook Heights lost a bunch of folks that day. As she will be doing this it has to be appropriate for the flute. I gave her two recommendations that I thought might work: Non Nobis, Domine (as performed in Henry V) and the Navy Hymn. I picked the Navy Hymn (For those in Peril Lost at Sea) not so much for the military connection but because I feel that many folks are losing focus and those lost on that day, and the folks that have been subsequently lost and are dying daily, are beginning to become forgotten souls awash in a sea of indifference. Anyone have any suggestions that I might share with her?

lrd
08-22-2005, 14:42
...and the Navy Hymn. I picked the Navy Hymn (For those in Peril Lost at Sea) not so much for the military connection but because I feel that many folks are losing focus and those lost on that day, and the folks that have been subsequently lost and are dying daily, are beginning to become forgotten souls awash in a sea of indifference.
That is one of the best descriptions of what the Navy Hymn means to those of us who have heard it over and over and over at memorials. When I hear it, I think of those gone, those still here, and those yet to come.

Thank you for those words, Jack.

Stargazer
08-22-2005, 16:47
Mr. Moroney, I have a teenage daughter who is a flutist. She played a solo of "The Minstrel Boy." It was very beautiful and quite moving. Another moving arrangement from the Civil War soundtrack is "Ashokan Farewell."

Not sure if either of these arrangements would be appropriate for your daughter's performance, but thought I'd throw them into the hat.

How proud you must be of her. It brings me great joy listening to my daughter play.

Spartan359
08-22-2005, 21:50
"Ave Maria" composed by Mozart. "Amazing Grace" is another. The Gladiator soundtrack has a few good songs on it as well. "Moonlight Sanada" by Beethoven. The ones listed above I know that they have sheet music for. The one I'm not so sure about is Samuel Barbers "Adagio For Strings." If you wish I'll see if I can't find the sheet music for them all. I'm sure your daughter will play well no matter what she chooses to play. My .02

Razor
08-22-2005, 23:23
The traditional Celtic "Mo Ghile Mear" may play well on a flute, and "The Foggy Dew" (the version describing the Easter Uprising) would be a good, defiant piece (yes, I've about worn my copy of "The Long, Black Veil" out, for those in the know).

Cincinnatus
08-23-2005, 07:27
How would "Taps" sound, played on a flute?

I have a little ritual that I go through when we lose someone I knew, or knew of, or who dies so heroically that it really hits home. I get a glass of Bushmill's and sit in a darkened room and hum taps til the whiskey is gone. Taps is so sad and haunting and conveys such a sense of loss.

It may lose something on the flute (or not), I don't have an adequate knowledge of music or the vocabulary to express it properly, but some instruments by their tone or pitch take away from some music. I've heard Taps played on a harmonica that was absolutely wrenching.

brewmonkey
08-23-2005, 12:56
"Ave Maria" composed by Mozart. "Amazing Grace" is another. The Gladiator soundtrack has a few good songs on it as well. "Moonlight Sanada" by Beethoven. The ones listed above I know that they have sheet music for. The one I'm not so sure about is Samuel Barbers "Adagio For Strings." If you wish I'll see if I can't find the sheet music for them all. I'm sure your daughter will play well no matter what she chooses to play. My .02

I too thought about the "Ave Maria."

aricbcool
08-23-2005, 22:35
Sir,

My recommendations:

May Morning Dew
It's a traditional Irish tune that is quite melancholy. I plan to have them play it at my funeral at least. (I've got a great rendition by The Chieftans I can send you if you'd like to hear it.)

Star Spangled Banner played slow and haunting...
No explanation needed, I think. :)

Nearer my God to Thee
Another traditional hymn along the lines of the Navy Hymn.

I'll second Stargazer's recommendation of "The Minstrel Boy" as well.

Regards,
Aric

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-24-2005, 04:41
Thanks all.

Go For Broke
08-25-2005, 11:29
Sir,
I'd also like to suggest Gortoz a Ran, J'Attend by Denez Prigent & Lisa Gerrard from the movie Black Hawk Down as well as the song Danny Boy (which segues well into Amazing Grace based off the copy that I have)

Both sound hauting with the sun rising or setting over the Green Mountains.

V/R,