View Full Version : Twin Towers steel used to construct the USS New York

Gypsy
08-17-2005, 19:18
http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,SS_081705_Steel,00.html

Twin Towers Steel Used in Construction of USS New York

August 17, 2005

By Jeff Schogol
Stars and Stripes Mideast edition

ARLINGTON, Va. — From rubble to avenging angel: The U.S. Navy is using steel from the World Trade Center in a new ship, according to the Navy.

Ten tons of steel from the World Trade Center's twin towers will be used in the construction of the USS New York, according to a Navy official.

The San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock is slated to be commissioned in 2008.

“USS New York will ensure that all New Yorkers and the world will never forget the evil attacks of September 11, and the courage and compassion New Yorkers showed in response to terror,” said New York Gov. George Pataki at the ship's 2002 naming.

For Patrick Cartier Sr., the ship is an honorable way to remember his son, James Marcel Cartier, who was killed when the South Tower collapsed.

“You've got the very soul of the event in that mangled steel, and all of that steel which housed all the people fell along with them and they were all consumed in that terrible fireball and that collapse,” the New York City man said.

Using the steel for the new ship would capture the spiritual essence of those who died in the World Trade Center, Cartier said.

“If you would you use that steel, it would almost be a resurrection,” he said.

New York City firefighter Bill Butler also praised turning the steel from the World Trade Center into a fighting vessel.

“It's a great testament to the strong will of the people who died that day,” said Butler, who was in the North Tower when it collapsed.

Butler was in a stairwell on the fourth floor when he heard what he said sounded like two freight trains roaring by in opposite directions.

It took him five hours to get out of the collapsed tower, he said.

Butler said the New York Fire Department supports U.S. troops. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them every single day and we appreciate them defending our freedom, and we're doing our best on the homefront,” he said.

The USS New York will be the fifth ship of its class, Navy spokeswoman Linda Roberts wrote in an e-mail Monday.

At the 2002 naming, then-Navy Secretary Gordon England said the New York and other amphibious transport docks will support freedom all over the globe, Roberts wrote.

“From the war for independence through the war on terrorism, which we wage today, the courage and heroism of the people of New York has been an inspiration. USS New York will play an important role in our Navy's future and will be a fitting tribute to the people of the Empire State,” England said.

rubberneck
08-17-2005, 20:19
I can't think of a more fitting use for that steel. I lost several good friends on 9/11 and the idea that the steel from the towers could rise from the ashes and strike back for them makes me smile.

Gypsy
08-17-2005, 21:43
I'm so sorry rubberneck.

Not to get all gurly or anything...but it sort of reminds me of this poem. Unfortunately I can't give credit to the author...unknown.

Out of my ashes
will rise a new phoenix.

A soaring being
returning from death
proving once again
that life is eternal.

I live forever
because the spirit
never dies.

I will return
in another body
in another time,
but it is me.

The me who is me now
will always be.

As long as I live,
I learn.
And I live
forever.

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2005, 23:05
Shoulda built a battleship...

CoLawman
08-17-2005, 23:07
I'm so sorry rubberneck.

Not to get all gurly or anything...but it sort of reminds me of this poem. Unfortunately I can't give credit to the author...unknown.

Out of my ashes
will rise a new phoenix.

A soaring being
returning from death
proving once again
that life is eternal.

I live forever
because the spirit
never dies.

I will return
in another body
in another time,
but it is me.

The me who is me now
will always be.

As long as I live,
I learn.
And I live
forever.

Poem was written by Carmen Colombo.

I too can think of no finer use of the steel!

Bendo
08-18-2005, 07:55
Living in north central NJ about 23 miles from NYC I lost two friends, Alvin Kappelman and Kermit Anderson. I drove to the GWB on 9/11 to pick up two friends that were on the 51st floor of tower 2, they walked over the bridge to the Jersey side and I wound up taking 12 survivors home. I spent 5 days sifting ash in the fresh kill landfill sight, looking for remains.
While I think it is great using the steel for a boat I would have like to see them use some of the steel for a squadron of AC-130 Spectre gun ships.
I would like to see them send Mr. Harsey some WTC steel so he could supply every QP in Afgan, Iraq and Phillipines with one of his works of art . Nothing like getting up close and personal with an edged weapon for real payback.

Spartan359
08-18-2005, 08:30
Shoulda built a battleship...

Heh, only if she's twice the size of the Yamato. 36 inch guns........ :munchin

Edited because I can't count today.

The Reaper
08-18-2005, 08:42
A large piece was donated to the SF Museum at Ft. Bragg and is now in a place of honor there.

Here are Mssrs. Reeves and Harsey inspecting it during a visit last year.

TR

The Reaper
08-18-2005, 08:51
Heh, only if she's twice the size of the Yamato. 32 inch guns........ :munchin

Not exactly.

Yamato mounted 46cm main guns (18.1") and displaced 65,027 tons empty.

TR

Spartan359
08-18-2005, 11:33
Not exactly.

Yamato mounted 46cm main guns (18.1") and displaced 65,027 tons empty.

TR

Well I'm a dumbass. I meant 36 inch guns. Not 32. I came up with 36 because I said she should be twice the size of the Yamato. 18x2=36 inch guns.

Peregrino
08-18-2005, 11:56
Well I'm a dumbass. I meant 36 inch guns. Not 32. I came up with 36 because I said she should be twice the size of the Yamato. 18x2=36 inch guns.

Actually you only need 25.5" to effectively double the projectile. Not that anybody's counting. :D Peregrino

Spartan359
08-18-2005, 12:03
Actually you only need 25.5" to effectively double the projectile. Not that anybody's counting. :D Peregrino

How did you come to that?

Peregrino
08-18-2005, 12:12
How did you come to that?
Think of it as a plumbing problem. We're looking for throughput here. 25.5" is approximately 100% greater throughput than 18". Of course that doesn't take into account the volume change that would be required for ballistics and engineering/design efficiencies. The bore diameter could actually be smaller and still give more than twice the throw weight. Yes, I'm jerking your chain but it is more complicated than just doubling the diameter. That's part of why the 14" guns of the WWI era battleships were so much inferior to the 16" guns introduced prior to and during WWII. Peregrino

Spartan359
08-18-2005, 12:25
Think of it as a plumbing problem. We're looking for throughput here. 25.5" is approximately 100% greater throughput than 18". Of course that doesn't take into account the volume change that would be required for ballistics and engineering/design efficiencies. The bore diameter could actually be smaller and still give more than twice the throw weight. Yes, I'm jerking your chain but it is more complicated than just doubling the diameter. That's part of why the 14" guns of the WWI era battleships were so much inferior to the 16" guns introduced prior to and during WWII. Peregrino

Hell, I just said twice the size for shits and giggles. I didn't think anyone would really calculate the damn math! Very good Peregrino. :lifter I forgot what site I was on. :D

Peregrino
08-18-2005, 12:42
Hell, I just said twice the size for shits and giggles. I didn't think anyone would really calculate the damn math! Very good Peregrino. :lifter I forgot what sight I was on. :D

You just have to reduce it to something a little more familiar. Compare 9mm (.355) 115 gr. and .45 cal 230 gr. pistol ammo. Twice the throw weight, 1.23 times the diameter. Don't feel bad - somebody will come along shortly and "tweak" me as well. I'm sure I've overlooked something equally basic. Peregrino

The Reaper
08-18-2005, 13:04
I sense an Airborne Lawyer approaching.

Glad I stuck with the historical facts and skipped the math lesson.

TR

Spartan359
08-18-2005, 13:08
You just have to reduce it to something a little more familiar. Compare 9mm (.355) 115 gr. and .45 cal 230 gr. pistol ammo. Twice the throw weight, 1.23 times the diameter. Don't feel bad - somebody will come along shortly and "tweak" me as well. I'm sure I've overlooked something equally basic. Peregrino

I learn something new everytime I log on to this site.

Kyobanim
08-18-2005, 13:26
I think tonight on the History channel is a story on the building of this ship. 8:00pm EST

Gypsy
08-18-2005, 18:15
You are correct Kyo, and it will be rerun later tonight for those that missed it. The title is "Boneyard, Where Machines End".

Matchanu
08-19-2005, 10:45

I perfer 44DD guns. :D