PDA

View Full Version : Tampons For Bullet Holes??????

pbr549xxx
03-02-2004, 00:51
I was told by my PSG that tampons where great for plugging bullet wounds. I grabbed a few and threw them in my First Aid kit. Have you guys heard of such a thing? What are your thoughts? Thanks

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 12:48
Of course. They work fine. Maxi pads also make great field expedient FA dressings.

Psywar1-0
03-02-2004, 13:09
Dont listen to NDD, next he will tell you that tampons and Maxi Pads are designed to stop blood.:D

Surgicalcric
03-02-2004, 13:14
Never given it any thought until now, but a maxi-pad and an ABD/5x9 dressing do share a resemblance.

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 13:17
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
Dont listen to NDD, next he will tell you that tampons and Maxi Pads are designed to stop blood.:D

Not stop, soak up. They are bandages, but not sterile.

Nice avatar James.

Maya
03-02-2004, 13:20
The only thing to watch out for is DON'T use the scented type as they could cause an allergic reaction in some patients. Also while they do absorb and expand, they do not excert much force, unlike packing a wound with gauze.

By packing a wound you can apply a tremendous amount of pressure...just like a pressure dressing! When you pack internally, and then apply an external pressure dressing you can stop most arterial gushers.

Although, pink is the new black, and will go well with most of the greens in the field.
;)

Skipper

Surgicalcric
03-02-2004, 13:22
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Not stop, soak up. They are bandages, but not sterile.

Nice avatar James.

Thanks.

Edited:

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 13:24
Agree about the scented skipper, its best to get the unscented. However, if you are using these instead of supplies, you may not have a choice. They are field expedients. I don't carry them in my bag.

Also, the pressure depends on the medic, no?:D

pulque
03-02-2004, 13:26
Agree about the scented skipper, its best to get the unscented. However, if you are using these instead of supplies, you may not have a choice. They are field expedients. I don't carry them in my bag.

Also, the pressure depends on the medic, no?:D

I dont understand why they even manufacture the scented ones.

useless.

Surgicalcric
03-02-2004, 13:30
Originally posted by pulque

useless.

Now thats some funny stuff...

Like anyones gonna be...nevermind, not worth it.

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 13:32
Be careful with my flag.

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 13:34
Originally posted by pulque

useless.

LOL - if you say so.

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 13:36
This is a good topic. James, why don't you start a FE medical thread and let's dicuss other items?

Maya
03-02-2004, 14:06
NDD,

Your right,these are for what if emergent conditions. Not sure where you can pick up a box out in the field but...you never can tell where the field is going to be.

As to "depends" on the medic....I know I'm old but I refuse to have Depends on this medic :)

Skipper

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 14:15
LOL - "depends"

Believe it or not, in LATAM at least, you can usually find a box in the field at the nearest campesino's house with females.

In a UWOA environment, I would consider this part of the "emergency bundle can't get in, let's see what we can do scenario". You send Juanito into town. Better to buy tampons and maxi pads at the grocery store than kerlix at the drug store.

Maya
03-02-2004, 16:13
NDD,

Interesting and creative. The mother of invention so to speak.

Thanks for the info. - Skipper

DoctorDoom
03-02-2004, 18:22
x

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 18:31
Originally posted by DoctorDoom
Do you actually stick the tampon in the wound? I was taught to never probe the bullet hole itself or pack dressing into it, but this was a hoispital not a field setting.

Thanks.

Why did they teach you that?

Eagle5US
03-02-2004, 18:52
Cavitation and destruction with significant bleeders may dictate packing material into large ballistic wounds as long as there is something significant fr there to be pressure against.
That is to say, just stuffing dressings into a wound won't do much, but stuffing it between intact skin or muscle belly and bone does great things to help control massive bleeding.

Eagle

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 18:55
But it won't make things worse.

Eagle5US
03-02-2004, 18:56
But it won't make things worse.
No kidding...just keep a good count!
:D

Eagle

DoctorDoom
03-02-2004, 23:31
x

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 23:38
Originally posted by Eagle5US
No kidding...just keep a good count!

Eagle

DD,
Makes some sense. I was mostly wondering what their justification was. I like to get in there and check things out, don't I Reaper? LOL

DoctorDoom
03-03-2004, 00:34
x

Guy
03-03-2004, 07:45
Sometimes you have to probe...in order to clamp a major vessel to stop the bleeding.;)

Especially in a field environment.

Doc T
03-03-2004, 08:53
depends on the size of the track if we pack it...small wounds we just clean the edges if needed and let seal on their own...larger wounds get packed...

as for tamponading a gsw track... we often will pack wounds of all sorts, gunshot wounds included. There is no contraindication that I can think of to packing a bleeding wound.

just an fyi...if you are packing things with tampons for tamponade or other cotton devices be sure to change them if you will be in the field for any length of time...toxic shock is not just seen in women...

doc t.

lrd
03-03-2004, 09:43
Originally posted by Doc T
just an fyi...if you are packing things with tampons for tamponade or other cotton devices be sure to change them if you will be in the field for any length of time...toxic shock is not just seen in women...

doc t. I was wondering if TSS would be an issue.

Doc T
03-03-2004, 09:50
no more so than any other dressing..... its not the tampon that causes it...it can be any dressing soaked in blood where bacteria can thrive....

doc t.

NousDefionsDoc
03-03-2004, 10:00
Originally posted by Guy
Sometimes you have to probe...in order to clamp a major vessel to stop the bleeding.

Especially in a field environment.

Nice avatar Doc T.

Sacamuelas
03-03-2004, 10:03
Originally posted by Doc T
no more so than any other dressing..... its not the tampon that causes it...it can be any dressing soaked in blood where bacteria can thrive....
doc t.

That is why I pack Iodoform gauze into bony defects and not simply cotton 2x2 when packing a wound that will be left for 3-5 days at a time.... Good to see you around Doc T. Like the new avatar too. :D (although I think I may need to modify it a bit.. 15 instead of a 11 blade) LOL

Doc T
03-03-2004, 10:57

Nice avatar Doc T.
'
one of the benefits of being married to the team sergeant...people do nice things for you.

I am basically computer illiterate and not very artistic.... owe the avatar to another who was thoughtful enough to make it up for me.

doc t.

Eagle5US
03-03-2004, 11:17
I like the bloody letters!!!

Eagle

NousDefionsDoc
03-03-2004, 11:22
Originally posted by Eagle5US
I like the bloody letters!!!

Eagle

What are you a Brit now?

Eagle5US
03-03-2004, 11:25
No, but I play one on TV sometimes...:D

There was this one chick in HS from London...her name was
B. Architzel...I don't think I will EVER forget her accent.
PM inbound!

Eagle

Maya
03-03-2004, 11:25
I say...Good show... none the less.

Skipper

03-05-2004, 02:48
nothing like the look on a new med students face when you tell them what you used for packing...LOL

I've only done it once, for a through and through on a calf wound. 45 min out, on AeroMed avaliable.:rolleyes:

Pacer
12-22-2007, 15:56
New guy here, and will apologize for jumping right in.

Tis question comes up from time to time while educating /discussing field expedients. Now, as per my intro, most of my experinece is civilian, but I do train up and pre-plan for "Grid Down" no helo from Big Brother government scenarios.

So, while a GSW at the local range, or a Tactical EMS environment may not require it, if there were a prolonged or heavy fire situation, a tampon INTO the wound TRACT might seem reasonable (at least as reasonable as the proven Tourniquets)

A three week search for CLS/CMAST/91W and TRYING to get into Mil Medicine discussions, as well as a review of the latest edition of War Surgery, and I can't find the answer to the question...

Have any surgical personnel received a 'forward element' member with a tampon in the wound TRACT, and while at TASC, or salvage surgery, has it been the appreciation that the insertion of the tampon disrupted major vessels that had not previously been destroyed? (Risk Benefit analysis)

Thanks for opportunity to answer my OCD/AnalCompulsiveness by exploring this. I just set up the patients for the surgeon, and couldn't see vessles well enough to pursue the operating skills myself (though I do a fairly good job of surgical skills for resuscitation, including a mean cric...)

Pacer --awaiting INTEL

SF_BHT
12-22-2007, 16:43
Not my area but I can tell you from 1st hand experience that on 2 occasions we used them for GSW's on Opns. The Docs here will provide more Technical Medical response....

Just another Team member that likes to help the Doc when he is not there. Never seams like the Delta is there when a major trauma happens. And they get really mad when a good trauma is missed.:D

Eagle5US
12-24-2007, 17:06
I have used these extensively for GSW's in theater at my level II.

Eagle

Irish_Army01
12-24-2007, 18:03
I also think that part of the reason we were taught to refraining from probing the bullet wound is also because of the fact that we were in the hospital, with the OR, radiology and all sorts of other resources at hand. I would imagine in the field the key is to stop the bleeding, with a tampon or whatever is available, scented or otherwise!

I was gonna say that myself DD.

So the Consensus is its works ? Any one here Married or Dating long term knows their is various types of tampons..does this matter?

I have one in my SERE tin.., for kindling... should I add a few more?