PDA

View Full Version : Triple antibiotic...

MAB32
08-15-2005, 19:49
Docs,

I hope you can answer this one.

Say you use antibiotic ointment on a burn (The regional "Burn Center" just happens to be at Akron Children's Hospital and they are ranked one of the top 5 in the country for burns. They have switched to using Bacitracin rather than Silvadane (?) altogether.) If you use it for say a three day period on a first and second degree burn when you are suppose to be using it until completely healed, would the Bacitracin, hypothetically speaking that is, cause resistant bacteria to develope. Meaning, that when you start it up again it will not be as effective as before in preventing infection?

Trust me when I say that I do not come up with these questions daydreaming at work. :)

I might be comparing apples to oranges here but I'm thinking it is possible just like the intermittent use of oral and injectable antibiotics instead of taking them the full course.

Doc
08-15-2005, 20:18
MAB32,

Just a former Medic. When in doubt about medical matters, see a Doctor.

Let me preface my comments by saying a lot of things are possible but not probable. I also want to add that I don't like to suggest medical matters over the internet. I like to see first hand what someone has before I offer up an opinion. Different areas of the body are more susceptible to infection than others. It all depends on vascularity, location, etc.

With that said....

I'm sure that the Physicians are using the latest approved clinical practice guidelines based on medical studies and patient outcomes. They don't want to make any mistakes in our current defensive medical environment.

Would it surprise you that people in other countries use good old fashion honey with the same success ratios on burns that we here in the west enjoy with our high speed medicines? Honey does not need refrigeration and has an anti-bacterial property to it. Mind you to watch out for bugs if you use it, but in a pinch, it works.

Do what the Doctor(s) ordered and watch for signs of infection.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor and folks should always consult with them about medical matters if there is a question.

Doc whose a former Medic and not licensed to practice medicine.

MAB32
08-16-2005, 05:15
Doc,

This isn't me, just a hypothetical situation.

Eagle5US
08-16-2005, 08:22
At Madigan we are also utilizing Bacitracin instead of Silvadene for most 1st and second degree burns. The literature supports it's utilization with no difference in healing time/scarring seems to be reduced and the cost is significantly less.

Eagle