PDA

View Full Version : Hello

tsweeney
08-09-2005, 06:10
Hello. Tr, I finally read the stickies. I'm sorry I didn't see that sooner. I really didn't mean to barge in and start asking questions. It's just that I have a lot to learn.

My name is Tim Sweeney. I am 28 years old and live in CT. I found this board b'c I am trying to learn as much information about my father's Vietnam experience as I can. He passed away recently and I never had the chance to ask him questions.

I didn't know he was a Green Beret until I was 18, and I figured there would be plenty of time to ask him later in life, but he died rather quickly from cancer.

I have the utmost respect for the members of this board, and the more I learn about the 5th SFG and what they did, the more I am impressed. Please don't confuse my rudeness with a lack of respect. If anything, my over-eagerness is to blame. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I look forward to future posts.

--tim.

Sacamuelas
08-09-2005, 06:44
Welcome. I moved your intro post to the base camp forum.

Good luck on your info hunt.

Team Sergeant
08-09-2005, 08:23
Hello. Tr, I finally read the stickies. I'm sorry I didn't see that sooner. I really didn't mean to barge in and start asking questions. It's just that I have a lot to learn.

My name is Tim Sweeney. I am 28 years old and live in CT. I found this board b'c I am trying to learn as much information about my father's Vietnam experience as I can. He passed away recently and I never had the chance to ask him questions.

I didn't know he was a Green Beret until I was 18, and I figured there would be plenty of time to ask him later in life, but he died rather quickly from cancer.

I have the utmost respect for the members of this board, and the more I learn about the 5th SFG and what they did, the more I am impressed. Please don't confuse my rudeness with a lack of respect. If anything, my over-eagerness is to blame. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I look forward to future posts.

--tim.

Tim,

Some of us don't mind being called "The Green Berets" and some do. None of us mind being called "Special Forces" soldiers.

Did you go to www.SFAHQ.org and ask questions concerning your fathers Vietnam service?

Team Seregant

tsweeney
08-09-2005, 10:58
Thanks for the link, TS.

I wasn't even aware that some are offended by the term "Green Berets." Is it derogatory? (Sorry if that seems ignorant.)

--tim

The Reaper
08-09-2005, 11:42
Thanks for the link, TS.

I wasn't even aware that some are offended by the term "Green Berets." Is it derogatory? (Sorry if that seems ignorant.)

--tim

It is a piece of headgear.

Do we call the Rangers the Tan Berets or the rest of the Army the Black Berets?

TR

tsweeney
08-09-2005, 11:50
Point taken. In my learning about the special forces, I read that JFK said that the official headgear was a "symbol of excellence" a "badge of courage". Is it correct in saying that not everyone agrees? I appreciate your thoughts.

--tim

The Reaper
08-09-2005, 11:55
Point taken. In my learning about the special forces, I read that JFK said that the official headgear was a "symbol of excellence" a "badge of courage". Is it correct in saying that not everyone agrees? I appreciate your thoughts.

--tim

Tim:

It is. We just don't call ourselves that, and as the TS noted,

"Some of us don't mind being called "The Green Berets" and some do. None of us mind being called "Special Forces" soldiers."

We have already given you our opinion, and we ARE SF soldiers.

Do you argue this much about everything? :rolleyes:

TR

tsweeney
08-09-2005, 12:55
Not arguing, TR. I just found that fact interesting. Thank you for your thoughts, though.

SFRADIOMAN
08-12-2005, 01:50
Tim:
Welcome to this website. Do you have much of the specifics of your dad's VN service? Like the years he was there, what his job was or maybe even a team name or number? If you have some of that, there are several sites to look into.

Doc
08-12-2005, 15:15
Tim,

Welcome aboard!

Good luck on finding more out about your dad. Keep looking and I'm sure that you'll find something soon. Thanks to your dad for his service.

Good luck.

Doc