PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Warrior

SERPENT5XX
08-07-2005, 17:31
Gentlemen,

I bought this Kimber Warrior a month or so ago. I have put about 500 rounds of PMC through it since then.

So far I really like it.

The weapon is more accurate then I am and has functioned flawlessly so far. I have no complaints as of yet.

The grips are very nice. Most of my 1911's have checkering on the front strap. Usually 20x20 lines per inch. I thought the gun would be slippery without any checkering but the Gunner Grips really help with this.

I may still have it checkered some day, but skateboard tape will do for now.

I may look into getting some Gunner Grips for a couple of my other 1911's.

The finish is nice but is not as durable as I would like. A few small chips have already appeared. No big deal.

For reference I own 4 other Kimbers, 2-each Les Baers, and 2-each Novak built Colts.

Thanks,

SERPENT5XX

The Reaper
08-07-2005, 18:38
Serpent:

Nice piece.

I usually find 20 lpi a bit too sharp for my tastes, I prefer 25 or 30 lpi if I get a choice.

Gunner Grips are very nice. I would have more if they were not so expensive.

The only bulletproof finish I have found is Robar's NP3, and it feels greasy, even when dry, and only comes in that light grey color. I still love it though.

Thanks for the pics and feedback!

TR

SERPENT5XX
08-07-2005, 21:05
Reaper,

It is those soft hands you have! :D

Honestly, a week on the range with 20x20 lines is pretty tough!

30x30 lines is more comfortable, but I am a fairly sweaty handed guy and need the extra grip, but you already knew that!

I do like the NP3. Never tried it as a overall gun finish but maybe I will.

Take care!

SERPENT5XX

The Reaper
08-07-2005, 21:35
Reaper,

It is those soft hands you have! :D

Honestly, a week on the range with 20x20 lines is pretty tough!

30x30 lines is more comfortable, but I am a fairly sweaty handed guy and need the extra grip, but you already knew that!

I do like the NP3. Never tried it as a overall gun finish but maybe I will.

Take care!

SERPENT5XX

C:

Probably true about the hands.

I have a total NP3 Para P-14 and a P-12, but if I was doing it again, I would probably go with an NP3 frame/internals and a Roguard slide, for appearances, gripability on the slide, and lower reflection on the top of the slide.

Make sure that you have all of your work done first, it is too expensive to pay for more than once. :D

TR

Tubbs
08-07-2005, 21:41
I generally don't like checkering. I prefer to get houge grips with the finger grooves if I am actually going to be using the gun on a regular basis.

KBAR_O4
08-09-2005, 08:30
Excellent choice. I have a Warrior also. I hesitated on this one due to the higher cost relative to the other Kimbers. Definitely worth it though. I've never believed in scrimping on firearms though. I like the series 1 system, internal extractor, and standard spring/guide mechanism. So far, no problems at all with 1500 rounds thru the pipe.

El Cid
08-10-2005, 13:12
Great post! I have read a couple reviews on the Kimber and am digging the idea of a 1911 w/ integral light mount rails. Is it significantly less expensive than the Springfield Operator?

As for the grip on the front strap... I have to recommend Novak's hand matting. I have it on my P14 and it is very secure w/o the abrasiveness of checkering or skateboard tape.

Here is an example of the front strap matting (http://www.novaksights.com/pictures%20in%20Photo%20Galllary/dustin-l-0852.jpg) in silver.

SERPENT5XX
08-10-2005, 17:48
El Cid,

Not sure what the price difference is between the Kimber and the SA.

I also like the Novak Matting. As you say very nice.
I have their matting under the trigger guards on my Colts that Novak built for me.

I highly recommend it.

Thanks,

SERPENT

NousDefionsDoc
08-10-2005, 17:54
I like it. Congratualtions Serpent

Psywar1-0
08-15-2005, 10:54
Just bought one myself and put about 400 rds thru it yesterday. Going to replace the stock grips with gunners ASAP. Only hiccup was when I tried to fire it gansta style(Id never done it before) and it FTE.

GackMan
08-15-2005, 22:59
hmmmm... those are nice guns.

they have one for sale the the bang stick shop down the road.

I have a kimber eclipse custom II that I am thinking about selling/trading... or maybe just get the warrior and safe queen the kimber.

not sure yet. haven't told myself that I NEED the warrior. .. yet.

SERPENT5XX
08-28-2005, 18:03
Gentlemen,

I managed to run another 250 rounds out of my Kimber Warrior the other day.

Ammo was PMC 230 gr.

Magazines were 8 & 10 rnd Wilsons, 8 round Chip McCormick and an unidentified 7 rounder.

Weapon was fired with and without Surefire X-200 light attached.

There were 2 FTF. Both occurred with a different 8rd Wilson and no light attached at about the 100 rnd count.

Weapon had proper lube and was not overly dirty.

I have had this happen once or twice with my Kimber Tactical before I put in a new 18.5 lbs recoil spring.

I could not get the Warrior to do it again and I do not believe it is a problem-YET.

Not sure what caused it. My hands were very sweaty and the gun was slipping in my hands. I was shooting steel plate racks for time.

I run high thumbs on the safety lever.

I do not consider any weapon “broken in” for carry until I have at least 1,000 rounds fired out of it so I am not ready to freak out and say I have a problem. (Truth is I have not owned a single handgun that has not malfunctioned at least once. This includes other brands of 1911’s (Baer, Colt, Kimber), Glocks, M9, SIG, Ruger).

If it is mechanical it will break or malfunction. The bottom line is will it operate within your required needs.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

SERPENT5XX

El Cid
10-03-2005, 14:19
Serpent... question about the Warrior. I thougtht I read somewhere that it doesn't have a firing pin safety (like the Colt Series 70) bcz the Marines requested this. Is that true? I cannot find the article in my stack of magazines at home, or online.

Thanks,
Kev

SERPENT5XX
10-03-2005, 20:30
Roger El Cid, There is no firing pin safety on my Warrior

El Cid
10-04-2005, 05:59
Roger El Cid, There is no firing pin safety on my Warrior
Thanks. I have seen this debated before... no pin plunger means a more crisp and predictable trigger pull. Of course it also means there could be an inertia discharge if dropped right? Is the trigger feel on the Warrior that much nicer than say a Para-Ordnance?

HOLLiS
10-04-2005, 08:45
Unfortunately I don't have a Kimber in my hands.

First question would be, FTF, means failure to feed? or failure to fire. It sounds like feed. One item that is nice to have is a case gauge. I had a friend with a Mac 10, and it had a feeding issue. It was a Hybrid that he used in full auto competitions. The FTF was from a combination of problems that added up to a FTF. His reloads, every now and then was not full case resized and failed to drop freely into the case gauge. That and several other small problems seemed to caused enough of a resistance to the overall feeding process and the pistol FTF.

Straight neck cartridges have a inherent problem in feeding that bottle necks do not. The case lip, on straight cases, can cause resistance to the over all feeding process. Check the ramp too. Take the barrel out and drop a round in and see how it fits. Compare how the magazine aligns in the well and to ramp, with other magazines.

It is worth while to make dummy rounds for checking the feeding cycle of a firearm.

Your problem may not be one problem but it could be combination of small problems that when combined will cause a FTF as with my friend with a MAC 10.

Maybe take your pistol to a competent smith. He may see/feel/hear something that you maybe missing.

Does the Kimber have a Free Floating firing pin. I think it does but don't remember. Again, I don't have a Kimber. Generally free floating firing pins are design not to have a inertia discharge when the pistol is dropped on the hammer. Some gun manufactures over make safeties for legal reasons. Personally I like simple designs (less to go wrong).

HOLLiS
10-05-2005, 16:16
Another thought I would like to add, is bullet design. On steeper feed ramps truncated bullets may cause an occasional FTF. RN FMJs seem to feed best.

GackMan
10-13-2005, 18:47
happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3747/kimberwarrior1nk.jpg

tag still on it, don't even know if it works yet...

NousDefionsDoc
10-13-2005, 22:51
happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3747/kimberwarrior1nk.jpg

tag still on it, don't even know if it works yet...
Happy Birthday.

You suck.:cool:

El Cid
10-14-2005, 08:32
I finally was able to get my hands on a Warrior at a local shop the other day and I want one more than ever now. I have however been reading about folks having issues with the metal injection molded (MIM) parts on them. Slide stops, safeties, etc. One guy even posted a pic of a brand new one with a broken slide stop. Are these isolated reports or something more?

skibum
10-14-2005, 09:39
Serpent5XX - if it was a failure to feed, an overly tight chamber may be the culprit. Kimbers have been known to have those. I was using a loaner Kimber at Rogers' Shooting School, which Bill had to open up with a finish reamer because of that.

re: the price. The SA Operator's (MC Operator, not the TRP, which has a bull barrel) MSRP is $1,218. You can probably get a better deal if you shop around/haggle for it.

mike_m
10-14-2005, 13:55
Serpent5XX-

Kimbers seem to be built pretty tight. A friend of mine got one that was effectively a pump-action for the first 200 rounds; after 1500 it ran fine.

If you still have a problem after breaking it in, you might want to consider checking the tune on the extractor. I had a similar feeding problem when I got my P14, it ended up being a poorly tuned extractor.

(I've thrown in a picture of my P14, I use fine grit skate tape on the grips and front strap)

jatx
10-14-2005, 19:12
There is a NIB Kimber Warrior on sale for $1000 on Louder Than Words...:munchin

Air.177
10-14-2005, 23:03
There is a NIB Kimber Warrior on sale for $1000 on Louder Than Words...:munchin

That's too much IMHO
AJC Sport Shop (http://www.ajcsportshop.com/Kimber/warrior.htm)

militarymoron
10-24-2005, 13:16
Serpent5XX - if it was a failure to feed, an overly tight chamber may be the culprit. Kimbers have been known to have those. I was using a loaner Kimber at Rogers' Shooting School, which Bill had to open up with a finish reamer because of that.

had a problem with my warrior with failure to go into battery when i first got it. the chamber was REAL tight. took a close look and on the inside of the chamber was a flat spot, RIGHT under the '.45 Auto' stamp on the hood that was causing the round to stick. took care of that and it's been running like a champ since. i'd guess that when kimber put the stamp on the hood, the chamber was empty instead of having an insert support it from the inside (i have no idea if that's normal practice).
cheers,
MM

GackMan
10-24-2005, 19:36
Happy Birthday.

You suck.:cool:

you dissapoint... You didn't even ask if you could have it. LOL