PDA

View Full Version : SFAS Too Soft????

Big Chief
08-03-2005, 06:17
I realize I might be opening a can of worms and I am sure this has been discussed thoroughly in team rooms and elsewhere, but it has been running through my mind for some time.

Are the selection methods getting softer to keep up with current OP TEMPO?

When I was a piss and vinager E-nothing SAW gunner in a line unit on active, I dreamed of SF. The only way to get in was to make E-4 (usually by year 3 of a 4 year contract) and re-enlist to have enough time to make it through the pipeline, have a GT 110, not VW from airborne, and train entirely on your own for God-knows-what in Selection (plus, this was pre-internet).

Today, there is a prep book, a prep course, GT 100, 18X, REP 63, this internet site, etc. etc. I am not complaining in the least....in fact, I am MAJORLY grateful and now seems like the prime time to hit the pipeline and get on a team.

I guess I am wondering what some of you QPs think of today's pipeline and the kinds of SF soldiers it produces?

Team Sergeant
08-03-2005, 09:08
I realize I might be opening a can of worms and I am sure this has been discussed thoroughly in team rooms and elsewhere, but it has been running through my mind for some time.

Are the selection methods getting softer to keep up with current OP TEMPO?

When I was a piss and vinager E-nothing SAW gunner in a line unit on active, I dreamed of SF. The only way to get in was to make E-4 (usually by year 3 of a 4 year contract) and re-enlist to have enough time to make it through the pipeline, have a GT 110, not VW from airborne, and train entirely on your own for God-knows-what in Selection (plus, this was pre-internet).

Today, there is a prep book, a prep course, GT 100, 18X, REP 63, this internet site, etc. etc. I am not complaining in the least....in fact, I am MAJORLY grateful and now seems like the prime time to hit the pipeline and get on a team.

I guess I am wondering what some of you QPs think of today's pipeline and the kinds of SF soldiers it produces?

Let me get this straight, Big Mouth, you've already been to SFAS and are currently SF qualified?

(Please tell me you're not talking shit about a Special Forces course you've NEVER attended??? Lord have mercy, tell me you're not that stupid, are you????)

Team Sergeant

Pete
08-03-2005, 09:29
Words just escape me.

All I can do is shake my head and wonder WTF.

Added thought:
Didn't you know - Everybody went through the "Last Hard Course". I could add a smiley face here but its not funny.

Spartan359
08-03-2005, 09:41
I realize I might be opening a can of worms

That's an understatement

The Reaper
08-03-2005, 09:42
Big Chief:

So are you (who have never been to SFAS or the SFQC) implying that the course is not that hard anymore, so you might go now, or are you hoping to start an argument between QPs, and watch the fireworks?

If it is the former, come to Camp Mackall, my friend. I can promise you that you will find the standards are as high as they have ever been, and you will likely not measure up.

If it is the latter, you are a troll and do not deserve continued access here.

That was one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen.

Non-QPs can feel free to stay out of this and let us handle it.

TR

Spartan359
08-03-2005, 09:55
Sorry TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-03-2005, 11:33

Let's see. There are also books on brain surgery, rocket science, and quantum physics. You cross trained in any of those?

SFAS does nothing other than evaluate your ability to get selected for Special Forces Qualifications Course it guarantees absolutely nothing any more than reading the bible will give you religion. All these attempts have nothing to do with making it "easy" or "lowering standards" but has everything to do with giving those that want a shot at this business the best possible chance at success. This is necessary because the other units in the military will do nothing to help those with any interest much less have any requisite understanding about what SF is all about. You would be amazed at how many folks get washed out of the program not because of desire or ability but because they got screwed over by the units that sent them. These folks deserve a shot and should not be hampered because they came into something without understanding the requirements. Even if they get thru SFAS and make it thru qualification training they will get washed out of SF if they cannot cut it once on a team. All any of this does is open the door and the door swings both ways. Don't meet the high standards and you will be extracting the door knob from your butt when it slams on you on the way back to from wherever you came. The easy part is winning the beret and getting tabbed-the hardest part is wearing them.

Team Sergeant
08-03-2005, 12:21
You have yet to notice we are not like other military forums. We do not tolerate stupidity as readily as some of the others on the internet.

We are not contemplating or attempting Special Forces qualification; we are Past and Present members of the US Army Special Forces, a title you’ve yet to earn.

You are opening a “can of worms” in an environment you are unfamiliar with. We are neither your peers, nor you ours. When you discuss our past and present, qualifications, endeavors, missions, training etc you speak from a perception of neophyte and not that of Special Forces soldier or even a Professional Soldier.

We do not view your post as merely foolish, ill-conceived and lacking intelligence, not at all. We view it as a warning to others, an example or illustration of what a dim-witted post might look like and what to expect when someone posts such BS on our board.

We also do not allow “bulletin board dog piles”, you addressed Quiet Professionals and Quiet Professionals responded.

I would suggest that the next time you consider posting in a public place, and especially on this board, that you think twice before hitting the submit button or stand ready to serve as an example.

Stupidity is no excuse.

Team Sergeant

NousDefionsDoc
08-03-2005, 12:22
Situational Awareness of a rock. Excellent example.

Big Chief
08-03-2005, 13:28
My appologies. I did not mean offense or to upset anyone (which I clearly did) and yes, I have never stepped foot on Bragg. My question was an honest inquiry into the changes that have undergone the pipeline and QPs opinions about them.

Perhaps it was "the dumbest post ever written" or I do have the "situational awareness of a rock." I also have a sharp enough mind to question all angles of a potential career path and the minerals to freely ask questions about it in this safe and open forum.

Again, my question was honest and I meant no disrespect. My appologies.

Doc
08-03-2005, 14:27
Thread closed.

Doc