PDA

View Full Version : The Adventurist- RYP- Review

Solid
02-29-2004, 16:53
Robert Young Pelton's The Adventurist is a beautiful short read. Retrospective anecdotes from his childhood and early development are interspersed with anecdotes from the world's Dangerous Places which he so faithfully documented in his acclaimed DP series. The effect of this is a comprehensive view of an adventurist in the making sliced down into vignettes which can be read, rather usefully, when travelling to far-off places. While the content of each episode is itself extremely interesting, the sense of the burning passion for excursion that drives RYP is magnetic in its own right. The pictures of his life are also quite interesting, although they don't serve to explain much. I'd seriously recommend this book either for those who are doing a lot of travelling and need time-filler, or for those who are fans of the DP line or RYP... in which case you've probably already read The Adventurist!

Solid

Jimbo
02-29-2004, 18:53
For those that might be interested, RYP allegedly has an article coming out in the next National Geographic Adventure magazine. The article will be about his time in Afghanistan.

The Reaper
02-29-2004, 19:23
I want to see the one about his time as a guest of the Colombians.

He was very lucky, and very stupid.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
02-29-2004, 19:26
Originally posted by The Reaper

TR

No doubt. I can imagine what El Chino said to him. LOL

Solid
03-01-2004, 01:50
Nice new avatar. Does anyone know if the Colombian stories will ever be published?
Solid

NousDefionsDoc
03-01-2004, 07:43
Originally posted by Solid
Nice new avatar. Does anyone know if the Colombian stories will ever be published?
Solid

I bet Robert Young Pelton and his publisher know. I haven't heard anything.

Solid
03-01-2004, 07:50
:D Thanks...

Jimbo
03-01-2004, 22:54
Originally posted by The Reaper

TR

He just sent out an e-mail to the Yahoo PMC group discussing the topic. Roger at your location should have a copy of it.

Solid
03-04-2004, 17:25
If the group is public- Is there any chance for a link?

In case you're interested:
Colombia RYP interview (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/832182/posts)

Is RYP impressive or simply lucky?
From The Adventurist, the guy who sounds seriously inspirational is Rob Krott.

Solid