PDA

View Full Version : NC Wx

BMT (RIP)
07-27-2005, 07:12
Aren't you glad you are not at CMK today.

Excessive heat warning remains in effect from noon today to
6 PM EDT this evening...

An excessive heat warning remains in effect from noon today to
6 PM EDT this evening. Heat index values this afternoon will range
between 110 and 115 degrees.

The heat index is a measure of the combined effects of hot
temperatures and high humidity on the body. When the heat index
reaches 110 degrees or more... the body has difficulty
maintaining a proper internal temperature

BMT

The Reaper
07-27-2005, 07:50
I am less than 10 miles from there. At midnight last night, the temp was still 88 and 85% humidity.

That is one of the reasons there is no July SFAS class.

There is usually one in August, though. In addition to the heat, the vegetation is thick and the ticks and chiggers murderous.

If it gets real bad, I just think how it could be worse, living in Arizona. But at least that is a dry heat. :D

TR

Huey14
07-27-2005, 09:41
*Huey looks outside into the dark and drizzling rain.

Yep, I think I like it like this.

Pete
07-27-2005, 10:27
That is one of the reasons there is no July SFAS class.
TR

During my first summer in the Army July was spent at Jump School and August was Phase I at CMK.

Little bit of culture/regional shock there.

The Reaper
07-27-2005, 10:31
*Huey looks outside into the dark and drizzling rain.

Yep, I think I like it like this.

Hey, it is summertime here, mate!

We get our dark and drizzly days here as well. Just not too many this time of the year.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-27-2005, 10:37
IIf it gets real bad, I just think how it could be worse, living in Arizona. But at least that is a dry heat. :D

TR

So's a nuke! Folks are sniveling like rats eating onions up here because we hit 89 degrees twice and 90 once this year so far.

Weazle23
07-28-2005, 16:41
I just got back from 9 days in Northern Training Area 4/5 here on Ft Bragg. My Lt said the heat index reached 120 and the medics told me the temperatures were hitting 112 and 114 on some days.

Chiggers are evil and mosquitoes are of the devil. We found a black widow lurking around. Fun stuff.

I woke up the first night with a burning feeling on the inside of my elbows. In the morning it looked like I got stung by a jellyfish. Long, slender blisters arose along the bend inside my elbow. Apparently it was an allergic reaction to DEET. I got some privates to believe I got stung by the mysterious nocturnal animal known as the North American flying jellyfish (nobody, even the medics, save one E-5 had seen anything like it).

aricbcool
07-28-2005, 18:47
I got some privates to believe I got stung by the mysterious nocturnal animal known as the North American flying jellyfish.

lol Awesome. :D

Huey14
07-28-2005, 22:34
Hey, it is summertime here, mate!

We get our dark and drizzly days here as well. Just not too many this time of the year.

TR

What I mean is, given the choice between those temperatures and my temperate climate, I think I know which one I'll take :D

(Though some days it would be the high temps!)

The Reaper
07-29-2005, 09:03
What I mean is, given the choice between those temperatures and my temperate climate, I think I know which one I'll take :D

(Though some days it would be the high temps!)

It was pretty nice at the beach last week.

Probably wouldn't be bad right now. :D

TR

Tubbs
07-29-2005, 18:18
*shudders* I will never miss NC...
I thank God every day I am out west that its dry and there are no chiggers here.

gtcrispy
07-31-2005, 11:56
Out at Range 69 last week, I don't think I ever sweated so much wearing IBA and a kevlar. I felt bad for my buddies out at Phase 2 and SERE. I got to go through during April and May. A lot less harsher then this heat and humidity we are having now.

The Reaper
07-31-2005, 12:00
*shudders* I will never miss NC...
I thank God every day I am out west that its dry and there are no chiggers here.

I love it here, but of course, it might just be an SF thing. :D

TR

Dustin03
07-31-2005, 12:13
so how's the weather during september? I'll be there on the 5th.

It is hot, I just got back from Anual Training and it was 101 in the shade. We walked into the chow hall right after a navigation course and this guy from an engineering unit there asked if we got rained on. I just walked on and mumbled something about actually having to do something during our AT instead of sitting on our fat asses eating chicken and drinking beer, then throwing the trash around the dumpster and telling the post commander it was us that did it.

I could never be in a regular unit after that experience

Team Sergeant
07-31-2005, 12:27
Phoenix area.

We now have over 30 heat related deaths. (These numbers do not represent those that die in the AZ desert trying to cross our borders illegally.)

Its been over 100 degrees every day for almost 2 straight months.

Nightly "lows" are high 80's-low 90's.

I cannot remember why I wanted to live here......

Roycroft201
07-31-2005, 12:37
TS-

Our local TV has been mentioning Phoenix and Las Vegas temps on a regular basis and what you have been going thru there. I've never been to Phoenix.
There are several members on this board that live in your vicinity.

What is the draw that Phoenix has ? ( I'm serious. - Heat, sand, rocks and rattlers are images that come to mind when someone mentions AZ. )

v/r,
RC201

Team Sergeant
07-31-2005, 12:45
TS-

Our local TV has been mentioning Phoenix and Las Vegas temps on a regular basis and what you have been going thru there. I've never been to Phoenix.
There are several members on this board that live in your vicinity.

What is the draw that Phoenix has ? ( I'm serious. - Heat, sand, rocks and rattlers are images that come to mind when someone mentions AZ. )

v/r,
RC201

Winters in the 70's, dry heat and golfing year round.

(I think we have 2/3 of all Americans over the age of 65 here..... :rolleyes:)

The Reaper
07-31-2005, 12:57
so how's the weather during september? I'll be there on the 5th.

Heat continues to drop with an average high in the low-80s and the average lows in the mid-60s. 90s possible. Very likely to be humid.

23% chance of rain on any given day means you will get rained on, but no snow. Thunderstorms possible. 17% chancew of cloudy day, so mostly sunny. Less than 10% chance of a windy day.

While a bit cooler, the vegetation has not yet begun to diminish, so slow going in the woods.

Cadre likely to be alert and aggressive, with VWs dropping throughout the course.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-31-2005, 19:32
(I think we have 2/3 of all Americans over the age of 65 here..... :rolleyes:)

Yep, my parents went out to Sun City West and the only time I went was to either to put them in Detox or close out their affairs. The place was a loony bin, old folks wandering around everywhere on golf cart, no one out at all during the day, but at night the place looked like the village of the damned as everyone would stroll around at a pace I used to think, until recently, was slow. Could never really figure it out as they did not play golf, hated organized events, and really had no friends to speak of out there-except the two dykes that lived next door to them that they felt were looking out for them but were really ripping them off at every chance they could get.