PDA

View Full Version : Info. on training for combat medic, please.

donnyknight08
07-25-2005, 09:16
First off, I'll give a little bit of background no myself...I'm out of Miami, Fl. I'm 21 years old, with an AA in Criminal Justice. I'm also taking the First Responder course, as a form of "continuing education", basically because I'm interested in the "medic" field, and for general knowledge. I'm currently in the middle of testing for one of the local Police Departments...If I pass all of my tests, I'll attend their academy. After their academy, I'll go through my first year (rookie year) on probation. Obviously, I'm not in the military...yet (or so I hope). IF the department grants me a leave of absence, it is my intention to join the Army Reserves. So here is what I'm interested in finding out so far, and what I "know" so far (correct me if I'm wrong):

Basic is 9 weeks. From there, I am interested in becoming a combat medic MOS. As I understand it, medic training is anywhere from 7-52 weeks. Obviously there are different levels of 'medics' (combat life saver, medic, surgeons, etc) that you can train to become. The thing is, I don't know how much leave time (if any) I will be granted for training (it is a small police department so I don't think they want to lose anyone for a long period of time). If anyone out there can clue me in as to what the different training levels are and the training time required to achieve those levels, that would be great. Basically, the idea is to, when I approach the department with my intentions, know how much time I'd spend on leave off the job...

I'll be checking back here periodically to see if anyone can help me with this...or I can be e-mailed at: donnyknight08@yahoo.com

Thank you

Books
07-25-2005, 09:33
Brother,

Make your introductions, read the stickies, lurk. Just trying to save you from a world of internet hurt.

Books

The Reaper
07-25-2005, 09:53
Help yourself first.

If you are really serious, ask a recruiter.

TR

donnyknight08
07-25-2005, 10:32
I have an e-mail to a recruiter and am awaiting a reply...I don't necessarily want to go into a recruiter's office yet, since it will be a while till I can actually sign (academy length plus year of probation...); besides, they don't necessarily need to 'recruit' me, I've made my decision. I figured I would get help here so that when I do bring it up to my department, I can give them a time frame, and have a better chance of getting approved for the leave of absence. So I am trying to help myself, but the more resources I tap, and information I gather (especially from those who've gone through it already), the better...I'd appreciate the help, but if you're not going to give it to me, I'll continue as I am and keep looking for ways to get as much info. as possible.

jbour13
07-25-2005, 10:52
I have an e-mail to a recruiter and am awaiting a reply...I don't necessarily want to go into a recruiter's office yet, since it will be a while till I can actually sign (academy length plus year of probation...); besides, they don't necessarily need to 'recruit' me, I've made my decision. I figured I would get help here so that when I do bring it up to my department, I can give them a time frame, and have a better chance of getting approved for the leave of absence. So I am trying to help myself, but the more resources I tap, and information I gather (especially from those who've gone through it already), the better...I'd appreciate the help, but if you're not going to give it to me, I'll continue as I am and keep looking for ways to get as much info. as possible.

You are not going to get the answers that you want here. You'll only open yourself up to additional scrutiny by being smug and making the remark of "...but if you're not going to give it to me,...". That kind of childishness has it's place, and it's not here.

You were treated nicely and given the appropriate method to answer your questions by The Reaper. There may be a recruiter on this forum, maybe not. No person here will take you seriously if you act like it's not a serious thing to you.

Are you afraid of the recruiter or of yourself being able to tell them the truth...if you're looking to see what your options are going and talking with a recruiter is the best way. E-mail lacks emotions and you cannot convey your intent as easily as you could doing it face to face.

My recommendation is to give the face to face recruiter thing a shot. Just because you show up at the office does not mean that you have to leave under contract.

Regards,
SGT B

The Reaper
07-25-2005, 11:02

Donny:

In my experience, people who help themselves gain something tend to value it more than someone who expects others to "give it" to them. Do you really have a department before you finish testing? That seems a bit presumptuous. Finally, since you have "made my decision" how do you do that without having the information you are asking for?

Everyone here has tasks of their own to do, most are current or former military. To spend personal time answering inane questions from kids who are not yet ready to go to a recruiter's office (whose job it is to answer your question) to find out about different MOSs and the length of a training program is not, IMHO, a productive use of our time. Do you think if you walk into his office, you are not going to be able to leave without signing up?

You log on to an SF site and for your first post, start demanding information not directly related to SF. This is not in keeping with the intent of this website. You have not yet been hired by a department which would dictate your availability for training for an undefined MOS, which you have yet to research with a competent authority. Yet you want answers here about MOSs and lengths of training for conventional Army medical training.

Please ask a recruiter and make some decisions for yourself, to include finding out what your possible employer might have as a policy before asking non-SF related questions here again.

You really need to focus on your 25 meter targets, make some decisions, and not waste opportunities to ask good questions, by doing your homework before asking, especially in someone else's house. You are young and have a long road ahead of you, but be aware, some things will not work out the way you have them planned and you are making a lot of assumptions. Regardless of what you do, always remember to maintain your situational awareness.

I have just "given you" everything you need to move along the path.

Good luck.

TR

donnyknight08
07-25-2005, 13:05
Donny:

In my experience, people who help themselves gain something tend to value it more than someone who expects others to "give it" to them. Do you really have a department before you finish testing? That seems a bit presumptuous. Finally, since you have "made my decision" how do you do that without having the information you are asking for?

Everyone here has tasks of their own to do, most are current or former military. To spend personal time answering inane questions from kids who are not yet ready to go to a recruiter's office (whose job it is to answer your question) to find out about different MOSs and the length of a training program is not, IMHO, a productive use of our time. Do you think if you walk into his office, you are not going to be able to leave without signing up?

You log on to an SF site and for your first post, start demanding information not directly related to SF. This is not in keeping with the intent of this website. You have not yet been hired by a department which would dictate your availability for training for an undefined MOS, which you have yet to research with a competent authority. Yet you want answers here about MOSs and lengths of training for conventional Army medical training.

Please ask a recruiter and make some decisions for yourself, to include finding out what your possible employer might have as a policy before asking non-SF related questions here again.

You really need to focus on your 25 meter targets, make some decisions, and not waste opportunities to ask good questions, by doing your homework before asking, especially in someone else's house. You are young and have a long road ahead of you, but be aware, some things will not work out the way you have them planned and you are making a lot of assumptions. Regardless of what you do, always remember to maintain your situational awareness.

I have just "given you" everything you need to move along the path.

Good luck.

TR

I appreciate the constructive critisism, but not the insults (calling me childish and a kid)...I'm not being childish, I'm not playing games, I'm very serious about signing; I just don't feel that working with a recruiter 1 1/2 years (approx.) before I can even sign is necessary...I'm not going to get into explaining myself in the areas where it will do no good here...As far as the whole department thing stated above, it's a small agency where many have applied and few will get hired. I have some contacts within the agency who have made it clear that I shouldn't give them a reason not to hire me (as in 'losing' me to the Military), and wait till I'm off probation to get all the pertinant information needed to join the Army. So, I can't go that route.

I also wasn't demanding information, I was asking (for the record).

Anyways, thanks anyways, guys. Much respect to all of you.

The Reaper
07-25-2005, 13:34
I appreciate the constructive critisism, but not the insults (calling me childish and a kid)...I'm not being childish, I'm not playing games, I'm very serious about signing; I just don't feel that working with a recruiter 1 1/2 years (approx.) before I can even sign is necessary...I'm not going to get into explaining myself in the areas where it will do no good here...As far as the whole department thing stated above, it's a small agency where many have applied and few will get hired. I have some contacts within the agency who have made it clear that I shouldn't give them a reason not to hire me (as in 'losing' me to the Military), and wait till I'm off probation to get all the pertinant information needed to join the Army. So, I can't go that route.

Donny:

And I think you lack focus and attention to detail.

I did not use the word childish, though now that you mention it, you are starting to sound like my children.

Since I am viewing this as a 48 year old, and I am allowed significant latitude, from my perspective, at 21 and given the way you are acting, you are a kid. If you were in the Army, you might call me "The Old Man", though not to my face. You do not know me (and clearly you have not looked around PS.com much before taking this tack), but I am at a point in my life where I have accomplished many of my goals and I am not impressed with you or your comments.

If my comments have offended you, you may want to consider another line of work. You show up at any Army or Marine Corps basic training with the attitude you have displayed here and acting like this, you are going to get a very rude awakening, very quickly. If you plan to post here again, I would strongly recommend that you consider your next comments carefully before you make them, or just move along to another site more tolerant of 21 year old paintballing kids.

As I recently reminded someone else, the first thing to remember when you realize that you are in a hole is to stop digging. I think that you have received sound advice, and are starting to wear on a nerve. Take whatever action you deem appropriate.

Have a very SF day.

TR

Eagle5US
07-25-2005, 16:16

I will present this with a little less kindness than TR has so generously displayed.
You are acting like a punk who has been spoiled and spoon fed.
Your trivial attituded and smug sarcasm will not be tolerated in this medical forum.

Have a very SF Day-and feel free to keep your comments to yourself. :mad:

Eagle