PDA

View Full Version : Amputated parts

swatsurgeon
07-24-2005, 11:31
I was just thinking...what do the medics do in the sandbox to be able to "cool" an amputated body part while its being evac'ed for possible re-plantation? Or is this even a 'concern' when in the hot zone?

ss

Eagle5US
07-24-2005, 14:50
I have talked to a number of the ER Docs that have recently returned about this...it would appear that the type of injuries that they are seeing and experienceing do not lend themselves to the possibility of reimplantation of the amputated limb.
It is an interesting question though...

Eagle

swatsurgeon
07-24-2005, 17:24
Eagle,
I know blast injury will not lend itself to re-plantation...I've dealt with a few of those...this was more the cleaner "knife", crush or similiar where there would be the possibility of re-attachment.
The IED senerio we've played out here before and the hope/chance of getting that limb on are zero and none.
Just wondering the cooling techniques possible in the field....
I imagine the 'write off' of a digit(s) is far more worth it than the potential for salvage.

Eagle5US
07-24-2005, 18:39
No arguements by me...honest.
The docs just said that there wasn't an identified need for the ability to cool the limbs for transplantation.
Biggest gripe:
Nothing to handle peds and ped trauma.

Eagle

swatsurgeon
07-24-2005, 19:32
if there is the desire I'll post peds resus/trauma info........

DoctorDoom
07-25-2005, 05:18
x

swatsurgeon
07-25-2005, 06:21
water bad, saline okay but not soaking just moist....
wrapping in saline moist gauze won't damage the exposed soft tissues where regular water will break cells apart and render the digit worthless.
I was thinking, is there a policy on this in the regs book somewhere or is it a "non-issue", i.e., deal with the stumps, forget the digits every time????

DoctorDoom
07-25-2005, 15:26
x

swatsurgeon
07-25-2005, 17:16
that's what I was wondering....do you retrieve them or forget them?

Detcord
07-26-2005, 01:32
I'd police every part I could find, even if it's going to lay exposed on the floor of a helicopter, get the patient to a facility with MD's, and let them decide if the part is viable.

I'd say to always try, you never know...

DoctorDoom
07-26-2005, 01:50
x