Detcord
07-22-2005, 21:50
my old unit in 12th GP has a site:

C312.com

Scotty
08-09-2005, 10:24
my old unit in 12th GP has a site:

C312.com

I met a guy recently who said he was with 12th Group, didn't mention which company or battalion. My question is, what area did they operate in? He mentioned doing some training in the Ukraine...

I think he mentioned they were located in Arlington Heights, which my Google brought up, but he mentioned it was attached to an Air Force base?

Just trying to vet him a little.

Thanks,

Scotty

PS - Hey TR, Jeff, et al! Long time no see.

The Reaper
08-09-2005, 11:39
Scottay!

12th Group was oriented towards Europe, but I thought that it folded before the training missions into Georgia. There are others here who were members and should know for sure.

Arlington Heights, IL was indeed the HQs of 12th Group, so at least he got that right.

TR

Scotty
08-09-2005, 12:01
Scottay!

12th Group was oriented towards Europe, but I thought that it folded before the training missions into Georgia. There are others here who were members and should know for sure.

Arlington Heights, IL was indeed the HQs of 12th Group, so at least he got that right.

TR

Hey TR! How's your new gig?

He knew a bit about 18 series MOS structure, etc. And was correct about it being a reserve unit (not pulling much out of his ass). But he pulled the whole "I can't talk about it" line on part of the discussion which set off the whistles. It may have been to impress the chick he was with, but still...

Plus the whole Air Force link thing. One could say "Bragg is attached to Pope" in a location/nearness level, but it sounded more like 12th Grp HQ was on an Air Force base... could have been the Coronas.

Scotty

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-09-2005, 14:58
I met a guy recently who said he was with 12th Group, didn't mention which company or battalion. My question is, what area did they operate in? He mentioned doing some training in the Ukraine...

I think he mentioned they were located in Arlington Heights, which my Google brought up, but he mentioned it was attached to an Air Force base?

Thanks,

Scotty

Depends when the lad was assigned to the 12th. When I was its advisor/S3 they were oriented to the Pacific. The HQs and one company was located in Arlington Heights and there was a company located at Selfridge AFB in Michigan. There was also a Bn in Oklahoma City and in Little Rock with units scattered throughout the SW and West Coast. The Third Bn was sort of like a bastard step child because it came under another whole set of folks out there in California. It was capstoned while I was there to the 1st SFG, but had been capstoned to the 7th at one time. Don't know what happened with its area of orientation after 84 time frame.

Jack Moroney-first guinea pig in the Full Time Manning Program for SF.

Scotty
08-09-2005, 15:35
Depends when the lad was assigned to the 12th. When I was its advisor/S3 they were oriented to the Pacific. The HQs and one company was located in Arlington Heights and there was a company located at Selfridge AFB in Michigan. There was also a Bn in Oklahoma City and in Little Rock with units scattered throughout the SW and West Coast. The Third Bn was sort of like a bastard step child because it came under another whole set of folks out there in California. It was capstoned while I was there to the 1st SFG, but had been capstoned to the 7th at one time. Don't know what happened with its area of orientation after 84 time frame.

Jack Moroney-first guinea pig in the Full Time Manning Program for SF.

Thanks Jack, Selfridge might be the AFB he was speaking of. Do you know which company was there? I don't really disbelieve the guy, but as I said some of the things were sketchy.

Scotty

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-09-2005, 18:57
Thanks Jack, Selfridge might be the AFB he was speaking of. Do you know which company was there? I don't really disbelieve the guy, but as I said some of the things were sketchy.

Scotty

Been a long time and my records are in a state of unretrievable upheaval right now as we are trying to build an extension on our home which will include my new den/team room/FOB/COMMCEN/OPCEN etc. Once I am up and running I will be able to tell you for sure but I think it might have been Charlie Company, 1st BN, 12th SFGA.

Detcord
08-10-2005, 03:07

Thanks,

Scotty

My old unit was located at AFRC (armed forces reserve center) Los Alamitos, CA, which is essentially an Air Force base with nice long runways for large A/C.

12th GP had units all over the place, San Diego, Portland Or., Montana, etc.

3D BN was either loved or hated, depending on who you were. :)

Never heard of anyone going to Ukraine, but you never know. We had a few teams go to Thailand once, that was about the extent of OCONUS deployments for our unit while I was there. If he mentions C/3/12, I could tell you for sure if he was with us.

Hope this helps!!!

RiskyTruth
08-10-2005, 12:57
12th Group was all over the place.

Charlie Company, 2nd BN, 12th SFGA was @ the reserve center, Van Deman Hall, in San Diego. I was there briefly in the 80's with OCONUS deployment to Korea.

CPTAUSRET
08-10-2005, 13:13

Scotty

Scottay!

Welcome aboard, stick around you will find old friends.

Terrt

Scotty
08-11-2005, 07:22
Scottay!

Welcome aboard, stick around you will find old friends.

Terrt

Thanks Terry, I appreciate it! I've been here a while. Just don't post a lot. I don't usually have anything I can say that's relevent or timely! :)

Scotty

skydoc60A5G
04-16-2008, 20:51
Just to clarify...the 12SFGA HHC, MI, Sig and SVC companies as well as B/!/12 were all located on an old USAF Nike site surrounded by the Arlington Hts Municipal golf course. The 85th Div Tng Hq was later located there as well... The 1/12 was in Kansas City and the 2/12 in Tulsa with 3/12 + C/2/12 OPCON to 351st CA Cmd in Mountain View CA. The 3/12 HQ was at Hamilton Field north of the Golden Gate...