PDA

View Full Version : Boot Advice

Solid
02-28-2004, 05:51
I was wondering if I could get recommendations for a pair of boots to PT in over light woodland terrain?

I've been perusing the Favorite Boots thread, but my feet are rather unusual (read: annoying) in that they are flat and narrow, meaning that even with good ankle support my foot can still roll over, causing all kinds of long-term wear. I use advanced orthotics, but these only work if the boot grips the foot adequately.

If anyone here has the same problem, or generally can recommend boots which will provide support for my foot, I would very much appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Solid

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 08:38
Try a set of the Danners.

They tend to be cut narrow, especially at the toes, and are an excellent, high quality field boot.

They are a bit expensive, so be sure that you try them on in person and check them out thoroughly before plunking your cash down.

TR

Guy
02-29-2004, 10:05
That would help out a bunch.

Solid
02-29-2004, 10:55
PT over light woodland terrain. I used to do the work in sneakers but my ankles, knees and back are paying a heavy price, despite orthotics. Running and ruck marches.

If that didn't help, I can be more specific. It's really only light labour, which is why I could do it in my sneakers beforehand.

Thanks,

Solid

Solid
03-04-2004, 04:13
The Danners look great, and several remarks on the website lead me to believe that they will suit my feet perfectly. Would you recommend Acadias, or is there another kind of boot that might suit me better?
Do the Adidas GSG9's or Oakleys support the foot well?

Thanks,

Solid

pbr549xxx
03-06-2004, 17:55
If your traijning for future military service, I would go with something that is issue so they will be what is on the packing list and they willo be broken in.

The Reaper
03-06-2004, 18:19
Originally posted by pbr549xxx
If your traijning for future military service, I would go with something that is issue so they will be what is on the packing list and they willo be broken in.

Concur.

TR

Solid
03-06-2004, 19:00
I agree, but if I enlist it will be in at least four years. Right now, I am just looking for a boot which will support my feet and prevent further damage to my knees and back from running and rucking. I think of them more as an all-purpose purchase rather than one geared solely to training for SFAS etc.

Top of my list are the Danner's Acadia Desert boot- a good choice?

Thanks for the input, it's invaluable.

Solid

Smokin Joe
03-06-2004, 22:45
Solid,

My current boot that I wear on duty is the Acardia. I have had the same boots for over 3 years now, and they are still in great shape. About a year ago I had to replace the soles b/c they were worn out. I use these boots for work, hunting, hiking, whatever from 100 degrees F to about 0 degrees F before I go to a jungle or a cold weather boot. They IMHO are the perfect all round boot, once you get them broken-in, great ankle and arch support.

Solid
03-07-2004, 04:58
Have you had any experience with the new Desert Boot? I'm trying to take into consideration sweat- my feet sweat enough even in well-ventilated sneakers, and this often leads to me having to stop during short runs to treat blisters and rips in the damp skin. The insulation on the standard Acadia's is therefore slightly worrying.
Thanks,

Solid

Smokin Joe
03-07-2004, 10:10
I have not tried the Desert boot.

militarymoron
03-07-2004, 10:49
Originally posted by Solid
Have you had any experience with the new Desert Boot? I'm trying to take into consideration sweat- my feet sweat enough even in well-ventilated sneakers, and this often leads to me having to stop during short runs to treat blisters and rips in the damp skin. The insulation on the standard Acadia's is therefore slightly worrying.
Thanks,

Solid

the acadias are available in 200 and 400 gram insulation, and uninsulated. i have the uninsulated acadias, and the desert boots, which are also uninsulated. i don't notice any practical difference between the two except that the black acadias has a bit of a squeak in them and the rough-out desert ones don't. the desert ones also have two ventilation holes in the arch and the leather is very slightly softer. i'm a civvie so i don't run in them - i either wear running shoes or lightweight hikers (if working out with a ruck).
i'm wondering - could your blister problem be due to shoe fit and sock selection?
for the excessive sweating, have you used foot powder or a roll-on anti-perspirant like 'dry idea' on your feet before a run?
cheers,
MM
p.s. since you're in the UK, have you had any experience with the altberg peacekeeper boots?

Solid
03-07-2004, 11:09
MM,
I've tried through a process of elimination to determine exactly what makes my feet blister and gash so easily. I've tried every trick that's been recommended to me, from sock choice to insole choice to vaseline, deoderant, gold bond... I've come to the conclusion that my flat feet force me to place more weight on my insole, which my feet slide againt because my feet are narrow and not properly held by the shoe. The sliding causes chafing and the chafing forms nice, big blisters (and one blood blister!) :). Fortunatley, my feet are toughening up very quickly.

The Desert Acadia's seem my best bet. I've never heard of the altberg peacekeepers- something I should look into?

Thanks, all this advice is very helpful,

Solid

militarymoron
03-07-2004, 11:40
solid,
looks like you've covered all the bases i could think of.
a policeman, who was former regular army and TA, had good things to say about the altberg peacekeepers. he wrote me in a recent email:
"I would like to blow the trumpet of Altberg boots - their Peacekeeper boot is great. They're really light, almost like Magnums, but sturdy like a proper combat boot, and very good value for money. As a temperate weather boot, that offers support and protection (they do ones with steel underfoot plates, and also toe protection, as well as "normal" boots in this style) it's very good indeed. I think they're the only British boot company, and I think their flag's worth flying! A lot of guys really rate their desert boot too - don't forget that us Brits have ALWAYS been issued crap boots, so we're good at looking for the good stuff!"
they're made in north yorkshire.
http://www.altberg.co.uk/
their website is down until tomorrow, it looks like. but they're worth a look since they're in the UK. they're bootmakers so you might even get boots fitted to you.

definitely try the danners on before you buy. as other people have mentioned, danners tend to be a bit narrow.
cheers,
MM

Solid
03-07-2004, 12:03
Thanks for the advice! I'll look at the Altbergs, but I reckon that they'll come up too wide given the almost female width of my feet. Silverman's over here stocks Danners, so I can go and try them on at my own leisure.

Thank you everyone for the help,

Solid

XUSMICO
01-19-2011, 20:40
:eek::eek:x

Snaquebite
01-19-2011, 21:10
XUSMICO

Do not post again until you have complied with the instructions you recieved when you signed up here.

dogtag
02-10-2011, 12:31
Hello all,

First and foremost thank you for your time and attention. I read above the advice of a QP that if I'm shipping to boot in the proximate future that I should just resort to training/ rucking in issued boots.

In several other threads, particularly one created by the Reaper (thank you Sir) about SFAS preparation, several SF candidates had strongly recommended buying two pairs of personal choice boots customized to your foot and different scenarios (i.e. rucking - comfortable, one size larger for swelling and drainage OR climbing rope - hard soles etc. etc.). This was also reaffirmed in Get Selected.

Q: With everything considered, would it make sense to invest in a couple pairs of boots now (I ship for Benning 5/02), break them in, and hold on to them for SOPC and SFAS?

Q2: If so, I generally wear a size 12- 12.5 shoe wide in the toe (4E with asics running shoes) as my feet expand in the front. I've heard of many different brands of boots, but I was wondering if any QP can suggest a good pair that is SFAS acceptable? Also an insoles, I currently use Super Feet.

A PM or post reply would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The Reaper
02-10-2011, 13:36
Where do "issue" boots come from?

There seems to be a lot of confusion concerning this simple guidance.

Over half of you will never make it to selection.

Stop asking questions and do good PT.

TR

Buffalobob
02-10-2011, 17:21
If you are retired like me and somewhat bored check out the fact that Solid said in 2004 that he would be heading to selection in 2008. Then go to his profile and see when his last post was. He made nearly 1000 posts all the way up to the time to actually do what he claimed he was man enough to do.

Morale of the story, run your mouth when you are retired like me, not when you haven't done diddly.

33army
02-10-2013, 07:53
I was looking for a thread concerning general boot discussion and this is the closest I found so here it goes.

Has anyone tried the new Danner Tachyons? Just curious as I am in the market for a new boot and saw them in my annual "Cool Guy Stuff" catalog from Ranger Joes. I currently have Rocky S2V's and I love them but in the way of cost I am not so in love with them. Any opinions/recommendations would be awesome. Back to PT.

33army
02-10-2013, 13:23
I saw the Kinetics also. Those sound more like what I am looking for. The S2V's have been great considering I have beat them pretty bad over the last year. Definately using them for 12 mile gate but want to get something else.