PDA

View Full Version : SFAS

BIG_V
07-11-2005, 15:02
Hello,
I am enrolled in class 08-05 for SFAS. I just wanted to run my training by some who have been through and been selected for the Special Forces. I dont really have anything to gauge this by because I am at a Joint Enviorment and there isnt alot of experience for this kind of stuff, so I just want to make sure that I am on the right path....I understand that it is mostly mental and not quitting, I understand that, I just want to alleviate as much as the physical stress off the mental game as I can.

I run 3-4 times a week usually 4 miles at about 26-27 minute time. I (force) ruck march twice a week with 50lbs as the Load in a Large Alice Pack. Of course I increment the distance as I go along . I am up to 12 miles and I am still about a month and a half off.... I dont use a weapon of LBE and my pace is approximately 1340-1400 minute miles... Upper Body I am not too worried about...

Well I guess my main question (s) is/are should I be smoking the shit out of myself with shit out of 21-20... When I go to the gym I have perspective muscle groups that I work on certain days , so lets say, after heavy bench presses I do 8 sets of 50reps for pushups...Slow and controlled...Same with the ABS, the abs are always hit with weights. And on legs I usually just go for repetitions , to help with endurance....

I have looked at the prep up, but I dont want to be on the norm...Like I said I want to be in great shape , but also keepin in mind they arent probably lookin for the young stud that thinks he is superman.

Also What is the best way to prepare for Land Nav...I dont have alot of resources seeing is how I am stationed in England...Should I just look in the FM's and be familiar with reliefs on a map???

Again Any help would be greatly appreciated , Thank you for your time.

Jo Sul
07-11-2005, 15:07
Big V - Probably a good idea to fill out your profile info so we know who we are talking to.

The Reaper
07-11-2005, 15:08
Once aain, fill in your profile, introduce yourself on the Introductions thread, use Google and the Search button before asking questions. You might also take a look at WM's book.

Some of your answers are already posted, this comes up here about every week. Believe it or not, in the 18 months this site has been active, others have asked about attending SFAS as well. Wonder what we told them?

Your lack of Situational Awareness by not reading before posting on this site is not a good indicator for you.

Good luck.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
07-11-2005, 19:37
Check out this forum:

www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Start with The Reaper's "Sticky" ref read and heed...or as I like to say "Read or Bleed"...

Then check out the Book Review Section ref GET SELECTED FOR SPECIAL FORCES (or see www.warrior-mentor.com (http://www.warrior-mentor.com))

Should answer your questions without making this site unnecessarily redundant...

Welcome to Professionalsoldiers.com
Best,
JM

NousDefionsDoc
07-11-2005, 19:50
Big V - The Reaper, Boss - Big V.

BIG_V
07-28-2005, 04:30
Outstanding,
I Have posted my intro. I am about a month out, and my conditioning is coming along great , well in respects to the actual work-up I was given. Rucks are coming along pretty good, lost 3 toe nails so far, and my skin is calloused. The only real Land Nav I have "practiced" was me going up to Brecons Beacon in England and going up the Brecons, setting points prior. For the most part as far as Land Nav is concerned, I have been looking in the FM's and knowing what to look for on the map, as far as reliefs and terrain are concerned. Well that is about it. Very excited about SFAS...It is on my mind constantly and my primary focus.

Quick question, This in reference to more recent classes. I know the packing list states that you have to have either Jungles or Initial Entry boots. I have seen photos of what appears to be high-tech boots worn during SFAS? I have a pair of jungles, and the new ICB's (black). Are the new ICB's authorized? Thanks

V

The Reaper
07-28-2005, 08:08
Quick question, This in reference to more recent classes. I know the packing list states that you have to have either Jungles or Initial Entry boots. I have seen photos of what appears to be high-tech boots worn during SFAS? I have a pair of jungles, and the new ICB's (black). Are the new ICB's authorized? Thanks

V

IIRC, if they are issued at IET, you can wear them.

Were they issued to you? Is it the exact same model as the issued ICB? If so, you should be GTG.

TR

BrianH
07-28-2005, 08:25
IIRC, if they are issued at IET, you can wear them.

Were they issued to you? Is it the exact same model as the issued ICB? If so, you should be GTG.

TR
As a sidenote, starting next class, they are going to be issuing Jungle Boots to Phase 1A (SOPC) students.

I guess they actually DO read those course critiques.

The Reaper
07-28-2005, 08:37
As a sidenote, starting next class, they are going to be issuing Jungle Boots to Phase 1A (SOPC) students.

I guess they actually DO read those course critiques.

That could be a bit late to start a break-in program without damaging your feet.

The SWCS CIF always has been cheap, and loathe to issue anything that they didn't have to by regs.

TR

BrianH
07-28-2005, 09:47
That could be a bit late to start a break-in program without damaging your feet.

The SWCS CIF always has been cheap, and loathe to issue anything that they didn't have to by regs.

TR
True, but it's really the only time an 18X'r has. Since one isn't allowed to wear jungles at Airborne, SOPC is the first time the newbies are given to truly break in a pair of jungles.

If one is smart about it, their feet won't be TOO smoked from the new jungles. SOPC is good about giving the students enough recovery time to let worn tootsies air out and heal. I didn't want to go through all that trouble, and ended up just putting drain plugs and Vibram #6 soles on my ITB issues, with no problems.

Just my $.02.

BIG_V
07-28-2005, 10:38
ROGER

Warrior-Mentor
07-28-2005, 16:26
Coat them down with mink oil inside and out and they'll break in a lot faster...

The boots, not the SOPC Students that is.

Books
07-28-2005, 17:08
A receipe for Jungle boot break in from a buddy of mine.

buy one bottle of Neet's Foot oil per boot.
dump contents of one bottle into one boot
Repeat with other boot.
Tip so that oil wells in the toe
sit for 24 hours.
Tip back so that oil wells in heel cup.
sit for 24 hours.

clean up your mess. stuff boot with some paper towels for a bit to get most of the oil out. Put on and wear with oily feet (for the first week or so).

After that the boots are butter, pretty water resistant, and nearly impossible to shine.

I did this with a pair of wellco ripple sole jungles and have been thankful.

Normally though, I just fill new boots with piping hot tap water, let them drain from the vents and then wear them about garrison or home until they're dry.

FWIW

Books

The Reaper
07-28-2005, 17:17
A receipe for Jungle boot break in from a buddy of mine.

buy one bottle of Neet's Foot oil per boot.
dump contents of one bottle into one boot
Repeat with other boot.
Tip so that oil wells in the toe
sit for 24 hours.
Tip back so that oil wells in heel cup.
sit for 24 hours.

clean up your mess. stuff boot with some paper towels for a bit to get most of the oil out. Put on and wear with oily feet (for the first week or so).

After that the boots are butter, pretty water resistant, and nearly impossible to shine.

I did this with a pair of wellco ripple sole jungles and have been thankful.

Normally though, I just fill new boots with piping hot tap water, let them drain from the vents and then wear them about garrison or home until they're dry.

FWIW

Books

Yeah.

That technique of your buddy's should simultaneously cause your feet to blister, and the soles to fall off at about six miles into the 12 miler.

I look forward to you and the rest of the Scouts using that technique, and your subsequent report.

TR

BrianH
07-28-2005, 19:40
Yeah.

That technique of your buddy's should simultaneously cause your feet to blister, and the soles to fall off at about six miles into the 12 miler.

I look forward to you and the rest of the Scouts using that technique, and your subsequent report.

TR
Just soaking the things in hot water overnight, putting them on wet, and enduring a good 6 miler gets about 80% of the break-in period out of the way. A light coat of Neet's Foot oil on the OUTSIDE, along with getting smoked a few times while wearing them, finishes the job.

At SOPC, that process will probably take less than 48 hours :)

The Reaper
07-28-2005, 19:46
Just soaking the things in hot water overnight, putting them on wet, and enduring a good 6 miler gets about 80% of the break-in period out of the way. A light coat of Neet's Foot oil on the OUTSIDE, along with getting smoked a few times while wearing them, finishes the job.

At SOPC, that process will probably take less than 48 hours :)

That and a good saddle soaping before walking in them usually does it for me.

I also prefer to break them in on MY time, so if I get a hot spot, I can take care of it right then, and stop when I want.

TR

Rodge44
07-30-2005, 21:48
I also put drain holes in my ITB boots (the new goretex ones) and vibram #6 soles, the only problem with this sole is its almost too soft, on the Treck my feet started to ache pretty bad. but whatever feet hurt i guess its part of the job. just find a pair of boots that you like and stick with them. boot care is key. mabe get a good insole with better arch support, that helps me. other than that good luck and have fun!