PDA

View Full Version : Second soldier is found in A-Stan

brewmonkey
07-04-2005, 08:32
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050704/ap_on_re_as/afghanistan

This is just in like 5 minutes ago and is great news. Lets hope and pray the rest of the team is ok and close to being found.

Goggles Pizano
07-04-2005, 11:48
As you have said Brew, training like you fight keeps you alive. God I pray they find the rest of these guys!

sf11b_p
07-04-2005, 12:14
I hope the provincial Governor hasn't compromised the RT members situation. It's being reported on Afghanistan television.

The Reaper
07-04-2005, 12:16
I hope the provincial Governor hasn't compromised the RT members situation. It's being reported on Afghanistan television.

Exactly.

Why announce before recovery, and why in the hell can't we get to him, if we know where he is?

At least drop an airborne battalion on top of him for security.

Another report stated that the three remaining members all had active transponders and that they were moving. Why announce this?

The media sucks.

TR

QRQ 30
07-04-2005, 12:50
Folks: I may be a little late but it is evident now that the next generation of SOF has come of age. I, and those of the Vietnam ere history. I gladly and proudly pass the colors on to you new Soldiers. :lifter Bear them proudly as I know you will!!

QRQ 30
07-04-2005, 13:06
Exactly.

Why announce before recovery, and why in the hell can't we get to him, if we know where he is?

At least drop an airborne battalion on top of him for security.

Another report stated that the three remaining members all had active transponders and that they were moving. Why announce this?

The media sucks.

TR

IMO it is all pure bull shit. Yes the media is irresponsible as well as the fact that they are making stuff up again or accepting second hand bull shit.

As an example, an open transponder without some kind of authentication and scheduling is an open invitation for an air srtike right on your trusty transponder.

It is all bull but all the DoD can do is remain silent. To confirm or deny would be equally damaging.

QRQ 30
07-04-2005, 17:55
A correction. I was referring to the homing beacons we had on RT-10 survival radios.

I worked with beacons for the F-111. It had a transponder. The unit was dormant until "Interrogated" by an incoming acft. I'm not up on the new stuff so can't say much for sure. However, there must be a means of authentication to prevent the bad guys from having it and attreacting rescuers into an ambush as perhaps happened with the MH-47 last week.

sf11b_p
07-04-2005, 18:02
Being reported now.

"Also Monday, a provincial governor said a fourth man was being cared for in an Afghani village. But the U.S. Defense Department disputed the report, suggesting that Assadullah Wafa, governor of Konar Province, had confused that man with the rescued soldier."

There is more news but I believe a moderator should decide if and when to post it here.

Kyobanim
07-04-2005, 19:49
There is more news but I believe a moderator should decide if and when to post it here.
I'm actually suprised at of the amount of posts on this board on the subject. My preference would have been to leave it at the downed chopper thread and not broach the subject of E&E for the team.

One thing I have noticed about this board . . . People will put more creedence on military matters voiced here than they would from a news site.

Maybe we should keep this in mind when discussing this and other topics of a military nature.

Just my .02.

QRQ 30
07-04-2005, 20:10
I haven't seen anything specific posted on E&E other than it is important.
To say something has to be authenticated is far different than saying HOW!!
For the most part we have said that nothing you read or hear can be relied upon until it is officially put out by DoD, not un-named Pentagon sources. Let's be careful but lets not be paranoid. TS, TR and NDD are prety sharp about keeping on top of things.

I startwed this thread to cover the missing soldiers and get away from the MH-47 and all of the KIA. I still say that they have an excellent chance of walking away from this --- because of their training.

Nothing has been mentioned on the subject that can't be read in "Secret Commandos".

The Reaper
07-04-2005, 22:07
Fox just announced that two more are dead.

RIP, brothers.

I hope that the remaining one is found by us soon.

DOL.

TR

12B4S
07-05-2005, 02:02
Yeah.... The media does suck, the AP being one of the major sucks. However, these pukes in the DOD/Pentagon have got to learn to shut thier pieholes. A bit of info here and there is all these pinhead journalists need to run with a story. The 'official spokesmen' as well. When that MH47 was shot down, right away we all knew why. WHY??? That crap does nothing else other than putting guys like them in a worse situation! From that came the info it was to extract a four man RT. WHY??? Sure the cacaroaches were engaged with them. Perhaps they knew there were four. I doubt it. All they knew it was a small recon team and they had superior advantage in numbers and terrain knowledge.

I googled the rescue of the first guy, the second one, and how they found the two dead AMERICANS. I didn't find any info. How, who accompished this?? Is the info out there? This is a GOOD thing!! Why??? Did somebody come down hard on the rank ladder climbing assh**es in DOD? If so, it will only scare them for ... max, a week or so.

Talk about revealing info on an ongoing OP!!!
One more thing, I'm thinkin' that the village, the first SEAL was extracted from is now MEAT!!! The elder/tribal leader will just love the the media as much as I do.

Martinez
07-05-2005, 08:17
Yes I must say that I find it bizarre that we the general public are allowed to know this much information about this situation. Even more disturbing is that the the enemies can access the media sources on the Internet just as we do.

We had SOG teams hiding for days at a time, some socked in due to weather and others that went missing, I don't think that was broadcasted all over the world at that time, during the war in SEA.

Sigh...

Jennifer Martinez sends

Huey14
07-05-2005, 08:41
I suppose for that you could say that special forces (using the generic term) didn't have the high profile then that they got after Princess Gate (which seems to kick off the media fascination).

Regarding this incident...I do wonder if it was an authorised leak.

Razor
07-05-2005, 09:05
Huey, perhaps the SAS didn't have as high a profile before Princess Gate as after, but I seem to recall a best-selling book, a top 10 song, a high-grossing movie, a comic book series, Ntional Geographic articles, and even G.I. Joe accessories highlighting USSF back in the 60s and 70s.

QRQ 30
07-05-2005, 09:24
Yes I must say that I find it bizarre that we the general public are allowed to know this much information about this situation. Even more disturbing is that the the enemies can access the media sources on the Internet just as we do.

We had SOG teams hiding for days at a time, some socked in due to weather and others that went missing, I don't think that was broadcasted all over the world at that time, during the war in SEA.

Sigh...

Jennifer Martinez sends

Jen: We never even acknowledged that we had people in Laos and Cambodia. Newer and more modern means of communication have created the present situation along wioth the "Right to Know" laws as opposed to Need to Know.

lI feel that like everything lse in the world ### is at the root of the evil of the media. If it weren't so profitable to create and report news this would stop. Just think, there is enough commercial sponsorship to support five 24/7 news channels.

I still think the Pentagon needs to go after the "leaks".

I suppose our commanders could answer with "None of your f***ing business" but they wouldn't last long. I was pulling SDNCO at Bragg once and one of the local shylocks called up and said one of our troops owed him money. I replied that that was a personal problem and I'd never loan the individual in question a cent. Very shortly I was standing in front of the CSM. :D

Martinez
07-05-2005, 09:53
But of course and perhaps we shouldn't be acknowledging where our Special Operations teams and units are and what they may or may not be doing. I just wish there were a way to keep the media out of this. In my opinion, the media isn't helping anyone really, except the enemies of America, in most cases.

And what's up with the Pentagon and all these "condition of anonymity" and "unnamed government official" statements?? If they can't go on record they should keep their mouths shut. Just my .02 of course.

I've been following the story at the blog of a Frogman: http://froggyruminations.blogspot.com/

Wise council there, wisdom and his priorities are in order.

Jennifer sends

Jen: We never even acknowledged that we had people in Laos and Cambodia. Newer and more modern means of communication have created the present situation along wioth the "Right to Know" laws as opposed to Need to Know.

lI feel that like everything lse in the world ### is at the root of the evil of the media. If it weren't so profitable to create and report news this would stop. Just think, there is enough commercial sponsorship to support five 24/7 news channels.

I still think the Pentagon needs to go after the "leaks".

I suppose our commanders could answer with "None of your f***ing business" but they wouldn't last long. I was pulling SDNCO at Bragg once and one of the local shylocks called up and said one of our troops owed him money. I replied that that was a personal problem and I'd never loan the individual in question a cent. Very shortly I was standing in front of the CSM. :D

The Reaper
07-05-2005, 09:57
Terry:

While I was a commander at Bragg (for COL Moroney), I got the same calls about soldiers owing money.

I asked the "creditors" if they thought that I was a collection agent.

They asked me if I did not care if my soldiers were not paying just debts.

I told them that I certainly did, please forward me the documentation and I would consider it when writing their Efficiency Reports.

Never got a single one. :D

TR

lksteve
07-05-2005, 10:20
it appears that two more men are accounted for...sadly, they didn't make it...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,161527,00.html

Huey14
07-06-2005, 04:34
Huey, perhaps the SAS didn't have as high a profile before Princess Gate as after, but I seem to recall a best-selling book, a top 10 song, a high-grossing movie, a comic book series, Ntional Geographic articles, and even G.I. Joe accessories highlighting USSF back in the 60s and 70s.

Ah right. Fair enough.