PDA

View Full Version : MLS Soccer

Roguish Lawyer
07-03-2005, 09:22
OK, so I have a friend who works for a company that owns one of the teams. Our kids go to the same school. The school had a silent auction, and my friend donated a basket with a bunch of tickets and stuff. No one was bidding on it, so I bought it in sympathy.

Last night we go to the first game. Let me start by saying that I played soccer as a kid and don't mind the game so much as a sport. But professional soccer is a complete joke. I have never seen so many guys writhing on the ground in supposed pain grabbing their ankles after barely being touched in my life! What a bunch of pussies!

And the final score was 1-0. Thrilling. :rolleyes:

Radar Rider
07-03-2005, 09:33
Soccer really is rather dull. I'd rather watch paint dry.

brewmonkey
07-03-2005, 13:32
Growing up on Mitchell Field in NY (and playing soccer for the LIJSL as well as West & North Babylon soccer clubs) we would always go watch the Arrows play at Nassau Coliseum and the Cosmos practice was held in one of the old hangars on base. It used to be exciting to go to a game. The stands would be filled and their was action.

We went to see the Wizards (KC) play as my brother in laws brother in law (yes, that reads correct) played for them. Man what a dull ass game. I was waiting for it to be over and had we not promised the kids they could run the field when the game was over I would have left in the first half. Maybe the difference is the location? East coast, especially Long Island was big soccer country but here? You might as well be wearing a dress and licking lollipops.

Roguish Lawyer
07-03-2005, 17:35
East coast, especially Long Island was big soccer country but here? You might as well be wearing a dress and licking lollipops.

Here, the PA announcer does the game in Spanish. Except the advertisements, which are bilingual. Seriously.

NousDefionsDoc
07-03-2005, 17:57
Chick game

Radar Rider
07-03-2005, 18:59
Growing up on Mitchell Field in NY (and playing soccer for the LIJSL as well as West & North Babylon soccer clubs) we would always go watch the Arrows play at Nassau Coliseum and the Cosmos practice was held in one of the old hangars on base. It used to be exciting to go to a game. The stands would be filled and their was action.

We went to see the Wizards (KC) play as my brother in laws brother in law (yes, that reads correct) played for them. Man what a dull ass game. I was waiting for it to be over and had we not promised the kids they could run the field when the game was over I would have left in the first half. Maybe the difference is the location? East coast, especially Long Island was big soccer country but here? You might as well be wearing a dress and licking lollipops.
What? I passed out half way through your soccer story...

brewmonkey
07-03-2005, 19:32
What? I passed out half way through your soccer story...

That's what I get for taking my meds and then posting. :eek:

Readers Digest Version...

Basic gyst is that soccer on the east coast was a blast. I moved to the midwest and it just sucks here.

brewmonkey
07-03-2005, 19:33
Here, the PA announcer does the game in Spanish. Except the advertisements, which are bilingual. Seriously.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

lksteve
07-03-2005, 19:42
No one was bidding on it, so I bought it in sympathy.no good deed goes unpunished...and we all know where sympathy is in the dictionary, right??????????//

Huey14
07-03-2005, 20:08
A good game of soccer is amazing to watch. Which is why I only watch the World Cup.

There's no in betweens. Either it's a crackerjack game or absoultely shithouse.

Radar Rider
07-03-2005, 20:10
That's what I get for taking my meds and then posting. :eek:

Readers Digest Version...

Basic gyst is that soccer on the east coast was a blast. I moved to the midwest and it just sucks here.
I thought that it sucked everywhere. :rolleyes:

Kahuku Saint
07-04-2005, 01:11
A good game of soccer is amazing to watch. Which is why I only watch the World Cup.

There's no in betweens. Either it's a crackerjack game or absoultely shithouse.

Agreed- almost anyway. I've had the pleasure of seeing a handful of bang-on club matches between, well, several teams. The rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona and Man U and Liverpool always produce some good matches.

The World Cup has produced some rather shithouse games the last two times out. Anybody remember the Iran v. US match of '98(?)- complete crap. Iran won by the way, 2:1. We won't even mention Italy's disgraceful showing this last time out.

Anyway, le foot/soccer/whatever has been forever bastardized in this country by the AYSO. There's a good essay on this I have somewhere- might've re-sold that book though. Check out Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch as well.

Of course I'd rather be watching the DHL Lions series.

Kia Mau.

magician
07-04-2005, 01:54
I have tried to learn to appreciate "football," as it is called everywhere in the world except in the US (which has real NFL football), and I have failed.

Everytime that I sit down and try to watch a game, it just reminds me of hockey, and of how much faster, and more brutal, and harder hitting hockey is in comparison.

I can rarely watch a significant portion of a soccer game. I get bored.

I have learned to appreciate Australian Rules football...which looks like rugby to me. It is faster-paced, there is a lot of hard hitting, and it looks far more manly than soccer. My GF cracks up when I put the games on.....everytime someone hurts themselves, or gets cracked in the nuts, or ends up writhing on the ground in pain, she busts a gut. I do not get it, but...it adds another element to the mix.

At this point.....everything is starting to remind me of hockey.

sigh.

brewmonkey
07-04-2005, 07:46
I have tried to learn to appreciate "football," as it is called everywhere in the world except in the US (which has real NFL football), and I have failed.

Everytime that I sit down and try to watch a game, it just reminds me of hockey, and of how much faster, and more brutal, and harder hitting hockey is in comparison.

I can rarely watch a significant portion of a soccer game. I get bored.

I have learned to appreciate Australian Rules football...which looks like rugby to me. It is faster-paced, there is a lot of hard hitting, and it looks far more manly than soccer. My GF cracks up when I put the games on.....everytime someone hurts themselves, or gets cracked in the nuts, or ends up writhing on the ground in pain, she busts a gut. I do not get it, but...it adds another element to the mix.

At this point.....everything is starting to remind me of hockey.

sigh.

You need to watch lacrosse!

The Reaper
07-04-2005, 07:46
....At this point.....everything is starting to remind me of hockey.

sigh.

We have noticed that.

Is that like a Cope Jones?

TR

mrob
07-04-2005, 09:17
You guys have only seen American soccer. Watching the EPL (English Premier League) is much more exciting, it's also considered one of the best, if not the best league of soccer. Since, the bottom three teams get relagated it's always a battle to stay in the league, which makes for some very interesting turnouts. That's one thing I don't like about the leagues in America. Once you're in big leagues, you stay in the big leagues.

Roguish Lawyer
07-04-2005, 09:43
We have noticed that.

Is that like a Cope Jones?

TR

Very much so, IMO.

Roguish Lawyer
07-04-2005, 10:59

I had the same reaction.

magician
07-04-2005, 11:22
You guys have only seen American soccer. Watching the EPL (English Premier League) is much more exciting, it's also considered one of the best, if not the best league of soccer. Since, the bottom three teams get relagated it's always a battle to stay in the league, which makes for some very interesting turnouts. That's one thing I don't like about the leagues in America. Once you're in big leagues, you stay in the big leagues.

I live in the Big Mango.

English Premier League is all that is on UBC's version of ESPN here.

I know a lot of Brits here, and they are all football fanatics. It is possible to go to any number of expatriate Brit pubs down on Sukhumvit and watch the games with guys wearing team jerseys and beer coming out of their nostrils. They all hate Americans, by the way. Not sure that I understand that. (It is ok, no need to explain--believe it or not, I really do not mind).

Your passion for "football" is understandable. You guys did not grow up in the states, with American football, and you did not have the epiphany of watching the Legion of Doom line grind down low in its hey-day, before injuries ruined John LeClair and Eric Lindros.

I am not patronizing you. I am convinced that it is a cultural thing, and considering that the global numbers are on your side, I am not even going to strike the classic American imperialist pose and say that football, soccer, whatever, sucks.

Believe me, I try to watch what you guys call football. There is literally nothing else on TV here. I just cannot get into it.

Goggles Pizano
07-04-2005, 11:36
Your passion for "football" is understandable. You guys did not grow up in the states, with American football, and you did not have the epiphany of watching the Legion of Doom line grind down low in its hey-day, before injuries ruined John LeClair and Eric Lindros.

Ahhh the memories.....snif.

So according to you mrob soccer is just a misunderstood game in the US? Or are you suggesting we in the States cannot appreciate a good "football" game? :munchin

Huey14
07-04-2005, 14:38
IF you want to talk boring, we can always talk American football.

"OK, Brown has put the ball on the ground. Let's discuss this for 25mins. So, what do you guys think you're having for dinner?"

Sigi
07-04-2005, 14:55
Girls and Soccer - yes.

Boys - no.

I admit that you have to have outstanding conditioning to play this sport, but as a spectator I think it is very boring.

Anyone ever hear of Freddie Ado? Seems he was offered $500K to play for an Italian team - at 10 yrs old!!

Signed a contract - at 15 - for $750K and is sure to make the USA team. Wow. Good on him. Besides him, Beckham is the only other soccer play I know.

But who knows, a few years ago I could not tell you who Dale Earnhardt was, so there is hope for soccer if they can afford a great marketing campaign. But even though I am an optimist, I think the best thing soccer had going for itself (Mia Hamm) retired.

Cannot wait for Sundays in September to begin. Chris Berman, Tom Jackson and NFL PRIMETIME!

brewmonkey
07-05-2005, 03:32
IF you want to talk boring, we can always talk American football.

"OK, Brown has put the ball on the ground. Let's discuss this for 25mins. So, what do you guys think you're having for dinner?"

Dude, boring is not even close to the word for American football. I would take bored any day of the week over watching it and I dread August rolling around here in the midwest. That means for the next 5 months all we here about is training camp and then the season. BORING!

mrob
07-07-2005, 10:50
I live in the Big Mango. They all hate Americans, by the way. Not sure that I understand that. (It is ok, no need to explain--believe it or not, I really do not mind).

I am not patronizing you. I am convinced that it is a cultural thing, and considering that the global numbers are on your side, I am not even going to strike the classic American imperialist pose and say that football, soccer, whatever, sucks.

Believe me, I try to watch what you guys call football. There is literally nothing else on TV here. I just cannot get into it.

As to the, "they all hate Americans thing," it's all a matter of perspective and where you grew up, obviously. Being born in England and living in America as an American citizen I ALWAYS get crap about being British, even if I am an American citizen. Funny thing is, one time I was in England just checking out the old country with my family and it was obvious to regular brits that I am from America, so I would get wierd stares there. It was as if I didn't fit anywhere :confused: But, I'm defenitely more willing to fight for America anyday just because this is my home now, 6-7 years England, 8 years American!! :lifter

As for soccer, I just can't see how the majority of Americans think that it's a girl-only sport? :confused: There is quite alot of contact and it involves alot of upper-body strength, of course not to the extent of football, but still requires some. And a big reason IMO why soccer is getting such a bad name is because of youth soccer and the referees. One little nudge with your arms and they call a foul, in professional soccer it seems there is alot more leeway in what you can and cannot commit.

And yes, when the pros get hit in the shins slightly and fall down the ground screaming and moaning, it makes me sick too, but if it's going to get you a penalty kick and win you the game, you would do it too right?

Almost done here! :munchin I totally agree with the cultural thing and where you grow up with what sports. When I first moved to America, I despised football and baseball, just didn't like it, but now living here for so long it has grown on me and I'm willing to play and watch football or baseball (still don't like hockey much)...

Sigi
07-07-2005, 11:17
Dude, boring is not even close to the word for American football. I would take bored any day of the week over watching it and I dread August rolling around here in the midwest. That means for the next 5 months all we here about is training camp and then the season. BORING!
LMAO. Brew, that is exactly how I feel from Feb-August. Damn Nevada cable company does not have the NFL ch. so I am stuck waiting for ESPN and ESPN2 to show NFL Films reruns. :rolleyes:

I must admit it has been nice that the NHL has not cluttered up my Sportscenter. :eek:

magician
07-07-2005, 11:42
to be perfectly honest, the only spectator sport that I ever really enjoyed was boxing, and Don King and Mike Tyson cured me of that. I will watch the Mexican fighters, "Terrible" Eric Morales, guys like that, but forget the heavies. I got ruined.

I grew up....in Denver, very much a football town. The Broncos are huge there. I was never into it. I went to a couple of Denver Rockets basketball games when I was a kid. I was not into it.

I never learned to like baseball. In fact, I hated playing baseball. I got nailed by a fastball when I was real young, and that was it.

so imagine my surprise when I got hooked by hockey. The way it happened, I sat down, a bunch of guys that I liked hanging out with explained the mechanics of the rules to me, icing, off-sides, two-line passes, the crease rules, etc,. they interpreted the peculiar language for me, and best of all, they explained to me the "five for fighting" rule. The very first game that I watched....I can still remember it.

It helped that these were all fanatic Flyers fans. It also helped that the Flyers have fielded cup-contending teams for several years now.

Now....I am a full-blown maniac. I would rather talk hockey, and watch hockey, than just about anything else.

be careful. It can happen to you, too.

:)