PDA

View Full Version : Now I know you guys like your firepower.

Huey14
07-02-2005, 23:04
How about THIS for a traffic clearer? :D :lifter

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos05/mar/minigun.html

Peregrino
07-03-2005, 07:00

5th Gp already has some mounted on Hummers in Iraq. They are very popular - right up until the ammo runs out. FWIW - Peregrino

Kyobanim
07-03-2005, 07:44
Does this come with a snow shovel to police up the brass?

lksteve
07-03-2005, 08:42
once upon a time, i saw these mounted to M114s in 1/17 Cav...a real crowd-pleaser and a great group therapy tool...

The Reaper
07-03-2005, 08:53
This system has already been covered here:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2228

TR

Huey14
07-03-2005, 18:52
I was trying to point out that it was cheap and available, but fair enough.

lksteve
07-03-2005, 19:06
I was trying to point out that it was cheap and available...alright...you're buying, right????????????? :D

The Reaper
07-03-2005, 19:13

$300,000 for one of the half-dozen or so civilian transferrables in the US.

TR

Peregrino
07-03-2005, 19:14

Since when is $60,000 and "dealer sample" cheap or available? And why is it a "dealer sample" for LEO sales anyway? The day LEOs need miniguns on squad cars is the day this experiment in "the will of the people" is over. :( Peregrino

Huey14
07-03-2005, 19:17
Well, I thought 60k was cheap.

I agree with the police statement. I found that a bit odd when I saw it. Visions of Blue Thunder appeared.

The Reaper
07-03-2005, 20:24
Well, I thought 60k was cheap.

I agree with the police statement. I found that a bit odd when I saw it. Visions of Blue Thunder appeared.

60K is for a dealer sample, not transferrable to an individual.

For those who do not know, the FOPA of 1986 outlawed new manufacture of automatic weapons for transfer to private individuals.

This has caused the market to inflate to $3,000+ for an M-10 Ingram SMG, $10,000+ for a transferrable M-16, $20,000+ for an M-60, and $300,000 for an M-134 minigun.

TR

Huey14
07-03-2005, 20:27
Ah I see now. Thanks for clearing that up- the finer points of US firearm laws are not my fortay.

Peregrino
07-03-2005, 20:35
Ah I see now. Thanks for clearing that up- the finer points of US firearm laws are not my fortay.

Neither is French - try forte. :D Peregrino

Edited to add: And some states (NC for one) outlaw the possession of automatic weapons by private individuals.

Huey14
07-03-2005, 20:46
LOL :D

The Reaper
07-03-2005, 21:20
Neither is French - try forte. :D Peregrino

Edited to add: And some states (NC for one) outlaw the possession of automatic weapons by private individuals.

Negative.

I know several people who have bought them here.

TR

Peregrino
07-04-2005, 11:43
Negative.

I know several people who have bought them here.

TR

Interesting - Not that I can afford to feed a machine gun or have any good place to play with it, so I'm not interested in acquiring one myself. I knew suppressors were legal with the right permits and a CLEO signature, but I was pretty sure machine guns were prohibited to private citizens. I must have misread the pertinent portions of the law. The passage I use(d) for quick reference is attached below. I know - it's a summary and probably not complete. Peregrino

http://nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NC

NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS

It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to manufacture, sell, give away, dispose of, use or possess a machine gun.

Machine guns are any weapons that shoot, are designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manually reloading by a single function of the trigger. The term also includes the frame or receiver of the weapon, any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun, and any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

Excepted from this prohibition are:

1. Banks, merchants, and recognized business establishments for use in their respective places of business, provided they apply for and obtain a license from the sheriff for the possession of a machine gun to defend their business.

2. Members of the United States Army and law enforcement officers while discharging official duties, and members of the militia and State guard when called into actual service.

3. Any resident of the state who owns a "war relic" or souvenir and reports its presence to the clerk and sheriff and keeps the machine gun on his own property.
Weapons kept for scientific or experimental purposes and registered with the appropriate Federal Agency.

The Reaper
07-04-2005, 11:47
Interesting - Not that I can afford to feed a machine gun or have any good place to play with it, so I'm not interested in acquiring one myself. I knew suppressors were legal with the right permits and a CLEO signature, but I was pretty sure machine guns were prohibited to private citizens. I must have misread the pertinent portions of the law. The passage I use(d) for quick reference is attached below. I know - it's a summary and probably not complete. Peregrino

http://nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NC

NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS

It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to manufacture, sell, give away, dispose of, use or possess a machine gun.

Machine guns are any weapons that shoot, are designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manually reloading by a single function of the trigger. The term also includes the frame or receiver of the weapon, any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun, and any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

Excepted from this prohibition are:

1. Banks, merchants, and recognized business establishments for use in their respective places of business, provided they apply for and obtain a license from the sheriff for the possession of a machine gun to defend their business.

2. Members of the United States Army and law enforcement officers while discharging official duties, and members of the militia and State guard when called into actual service.

3. Any resident of the state who owns a "war relic" or souvenir and reports its presence to the clerk and sheriff and keeps the machine gun on his own property.
Weapons kept for scientific or experimental purposes and registered with the appropriate Federal Agency.

"Weapons kept for scientific or experimental purposes and registered with the appropriate Federal Agency."

Undefined further.

I am an experimenter. All my automatic weapons will be registered with the BATFE. Therefore, I am allowed to possess them.

TR

frostfire
07-31-2005, 13:02

here's one for you Huey, you know you want it
http://www.machineguns.co.nz/products.shtml

Ambush Master
07-31-2005, 14:28
Damn, I musta missed this because I was out in the mountains on our annual Machinegun Shoot !!!

Hell, I own 2 !!! Huey & Peregrino, you must have missed this one:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705

Later
Martin

Tuukka
07-31-2005, 14:35
$300,000 for one of the half-dozen or so civilian transferrables in the US.

TR

Available, legally, in Europe for c. 20000 £.

Air.177
07-31-2005, 20:08

A Mini Gun?? I am gonna need proof of this one dude :eek:

Huey14
07-31-2005, 21:06
here's one for you Huey, you know you want it
http://www.machineguns.co.nz/products.shtml

You're damn right I want it! The legality is a bit...grey though. :p

The Reaper
07-31-2005, 21:36

In which countries?

TR

Tuukka
08-01-2005, 01:21
In which countries?

TR

In Finland, there are a few other countries that allow private select fire ownership but im am not 100% familiar with the exact particulars.

There are several larger companies that sell a wide variety of military weapons, in the UK, Holland and Switzerland for example.

Peregrino
08-01-2005, 08:13
In Finland, there are a few other countries that allow private select fire ownership but im am not 100% familiar with the exact particulars.

There are several larger companies that sell a wide variety of military weapons, in the UK, Holland and Switzerland for example.

Yeah - But Finland has a proud tradition of "rugged individualism" and a recent memory of going at it "tooth and nail" with the Russian Bear (and IIRC, bloodying him pretty badly). I can readily understand why the Fins might encourage miniguns in the basement. Might also explain your suppressor business. :cool: Peregrino

HOLLiS
08-01-2005, 10:09
One of our local ranges sponsors a FULL auto shoot. I would love to own a Ma Deuce, but I would need to take a 2nd on the house to afford one. The ammo is getting cheaper, about a dollar a round. Consider that hunting bullets for my 339 are about $1.00/bullet, then powder and primer, the 50 cal has gotten reasonable to shoot.

Also there are 9mm full autos and 9mm is about $110.00/1000 rds.

MAB32
08-01-2005, 14:59
AM, you really know how to rub it in! :D

I cannot get near any of my department's "select-fire" weapons let alone own one.

I remember when I was going through the academy in the mid 80's one of the Sergeant's there had an M60 (guess he paid $11,000 for it back then). He "accidentally" placed slides of his "girl" in with the slides on homicide investigation and by the end of the presentation the subject changed to M-60's. Never really learned what to do after you have found the body though. :confused: I did learn allot about the "pig" however so all was not lost.

Doc
08-01-2005, 15:27
We have a small group of guys up here that shoot together. One or two of them have the necessary paperwork approved and have the full auto weapons. I like shooting them as long as I don't have to pay for the ammo. :D

J/K. I pay for what I shoot.

Doc

Ambush Master
08-01-2005, 15:41
[QUOTE=MAB32]AM, you really know how to rub it in! :D
I remember when I was going through the academy in the mid 80's one of the Sergeant's there had an M60 (guess he paid $11,000 for it back then)./QUOTE]

I built mine at about that time (as seen in the pics in the link I mentioned above) and have less than $1K in it !!! :D :munchin

MAB32
08-01-2005, 19:07
AM,

I really would of been better off not knowing that too. :(
I suppose you have 5 extra barrels, thousands of links and a tripod too and it only cost you $150!

Doc,

I thought you were going to throw an invite my way this summer?

Ambush Master
08-01-2005, 19:12
AM,

I really would of been better off not knowing that too. :(
I suppose you have 5 extra barrels, thousands of links and a tripod too and it only cost you $150!

No extra barrels, but I've got a bunch of links, and the Tripod, M60 adapter AND T&E did only cost me $150 !!!!

You been on my backtrail ?!?!?! :mad:

Later
Martin
:D :munchin

Huey14
08-01-2005, 19:49
Ha. Here in NZ, you need a Collecters (C Cat) licence to own an M60. Technically, you're not allowed to fire it, since it's for collection. A while back a store down in Christchurch was selling one with a spare barrel "In case your other one melts while sitting unused in the gun cabinet." I got a good laugh out of that :D

Air.177
08-01-2005, 20:06
Ha. Here in NZ, you need a Collecters (C Cat) licence to own an M60. Technically, you're not allowed to fire it, since it's for collection. A while back a store down in Christchurch was selling one with a spare barrel "In case your other one melts while sitting unused in the gun cabinet." I got a good laugh out of that :D

OK, so let me get this straight:you can own it.....but you can't shoot it?? WTF is that :confused:

Well, Huey, aren't there some volcanoes in that part of the world? I mean if a Lava Floe ran through your house and you were just barely able to save your "Display only" M-60, there is a chance that your barrel could have been stressed beyond safe operating limits isn't there?

Huey14
08-01-2005, 21:53
There's a very good chance. :D

And yes, our firearms laws are odd. A fully automatic bb gun is a C Cat weapon just like the real M60- but semi bb guns are not and you don't need a licence to own one :rolleyes:

I could go on for hours, nay, days about our guns laws. While they're well intentioned, they're not practical. Put the wrong mag in a rifle and it becomes E Cat (Restricted), take it out it's A Cat (normal licence) again :confused:

Doc
08-02-2005, 05:27
Doc,

I thought you were going to throw an invite my way this summer?

It's impossible to contact someone when you don't have their name or number.

Doc