PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a pocket folding knife.

Team Sergeant
02-27-2004, 09:22
As a long time Spyderco carrying SF type, I'd like to know what I should be looking for in a new pocket knife.

(the Spyderco edge is wearing thin....)

Strenght, carry comfort, holding an edge, etc.

All comments are welcome.

Team Sergeant

switch100
02-27-2004, 09:38
I've been using my Benchmade 910HS Stryker for a couple years now. The blade is M2 Tool steel; strength has never been an issue (it has been used to both pry and cut) and I've only had to sharpen it once. Grip is durable, but narrow enough to sit in a pocket without bulging. If you don't mind the liner lock, it's a hell of a knife.

Surgicalcric
02-27-2004, 09:51
I am an avid Spyderco fan being a firefighter and all. I have been using a Combo-Edge Rescue for sometime now and could not be happier. Maintenance on the serrated edge gets old, but I have not found a straight edge that cuts webbing, rope, and cloth like the serrated edge.

http://www.usretailgroup.com/images/C14SBK.jpg

Razor
02-27-2004, 10:23
TS,

I tend to carry in my waistband rather than in a pocket, and I've found the CRKT M16 Slim Profile Titanium to work well. The Carson flipper makes opening fast and easy, and the LAWKS goes far in making the liner lock more secure for heavier cutting. I prefer the spearpoint to the tanto model, but that's because I hate sharpening a tanto tip. The blade is a tad over 3.5", which is a decent size to me for everyday utility work. The two downsides are the steel (AUS 8), and the fact the edge is chisel ground, but I've learned to live with it, especially since they go for under $60 at the PX.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/razorlimit1_1776_297354956

I've also happily carried the older model Benchmade AFCK. The newer model Axis locks (vice the old liner lock like mine) are probably even more reliable. I switched to the CRKT not because the Benchmade let me down, but rather because the CRKT had a thinner profile, which rode more comfortably for me.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 10:25
TS:

Spyderco is good, Benchmade would be a step up, especially in D2. Emerson and Strider are good as well.

Mr. Harsey has several nice folders being made by several makers.

The Cadillac is made by Chris Reeve. It is the Sebenza, which is, IMHO, the gold standard for folding knives. It is Titanium and S-30V, and is a cutting machine.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm

Many models are available with varying degrees of artwork.

The below is one of my favorites.

TR

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 10:28
Originally posted by Razor

I've also happily carried the older model Benchmade AFCK. The newer model Axis locks (vice the old liner lock like mine) are probably even more reliable. I switched to the CRKT not because the Benchmade let me down, but rather because the CRKT had a thinner profile, which rode more comfortably for me.

The last knife I carried before I got the Sebenza was a BM AFCK Axis Lock in D2.

I still carry it when I go to the woods or have to check my blades. While it is expensive, it is a lot less to replace (and easier to get as well) than my Sebenza.

TR

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 10:34
BM 806, AFCK in D2, with serrations. Also available in lesser steels, without serrations, and without the Axis lock.

TR

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.asp?model=806

Tattoo
02-27-2004, 11:37
TS, I would also like to recommend the Micro tech line of folders. The ATS-34 steel on mine has kept it's edge longer than any other blade I have owned and I try them all out for either work or as a self defense tool.

ROCK

Footmobile
02-27-2004, 15:14
I'd second the Benchmade 806 D2 w/ Axis lock. I've had mine for about a year and a half now of everyday carry and use and I've only had it sharpened once which it probably didn't even need. Built like a tank and it just looks cool in your hand which is the important part :D

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 16:21
The Axis Lock knives have the strongest locks in the business, much more so than any liner lock I am aware of, possibly even the Sebenza, which uses a full side as the lock.

I believe that I could clamp the Axis blade in a vise, put a 3' pipe over the blade, and lift my 200 lbs. off the floor while hanging on it.

I challenge anyone to replicate that with a conventional liner lock.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-27-2004, 17:19
Lot's of good knives listed here, keep calling them out, I want to see what you guys like and why. Reaper, The strongest knife joint of course is in a fixed blade. Your right, many mechanisms have some weak point. This does NOT apply to you guys but I've heard it said If you make something idiot proof, they will make a better idiot. Something about this seems to apply to designing folding knife joints. With a properly designed and executed liner lock, point of failure in your vise test is the knife jamming into full open and locked position. Some liner locking knives have too big a cutout relief in the handle side opposite the spring to unlock the blade. The user can potentially, accidently unlock the knife by gripping and twisting. Reeve has sidestepped all this with rock solid design and execution. (I'm not even getting paid to say that).

Air.177
02-27-2004, 17:26
I carry either a Spyderco Police model, a Gerber Applegate/Fairbain folder, or a Cold Steel Large Gunsite Folder. And all of these knives have been great for everything I have asked them to do.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 17:41
Congratulations, I believe you carry one of Mr. Harsey's designs!

I own several Spydercos as well, and used to carry them, hard to beat Spydercos, especially the Endura and Delica for the price.

TS, in rereading your original post, the most comfortable folder I own is an Al Mar Eagle.

TR

Air.177
02-27-2004, 17:57
In that case, Thank you Mr. Harsey for Designing one of my favorite pocket Knives.

Team Sergeant
02-27-2004, 19:39
I'm reading and searching the internet looking for the knives being posted. I'm going to wait till the next gunshow here and try a few.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

TS

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 11:48
Air.177, The A/F folder was originally designed and prototyped by me for Col. Rex Applegate. I told the Col. what I'd done with his fixed blade after the fact. This worked out well because Gerber Legendary Blades in Portland Oregon picked up the knife and is continuing to do a very good job producing it. I brought in Butch Vallotton (famous auto opener knife maker) to help with the production of the custom versions of this knife. Those A/F folders are marked "Harsey-Vallotton". They were made with 154CM Steel, titanium handle frames and micarta handle scales. This custom A/F was featured on the cover of the very first issue of Tactical Knives magazine. IMPORTANT NOTE: Butch brought the key to making this folder a successful design. I had the profile nailed down but not the configuration of the folding joint. This was tricky because we wanted to rotate the entire blade into the handle so we could sharpen the top edge and still have it protected when closed. The geometry of the joint determines if we can do this or not. Butch came up with the concept of using the thumb studs on the blade as the stop pins for both the open and closed position. This let us keep lot's of steel around the joint of the knife, that is we didn't have to make a deep relief notch at the base of the blade to rotate full closed around an internal stop pin like on conventional liner locks. Keeping my mouth shut and letting Butch work that out really paid off. I then produced the hardened steel (D-2) master drill pattern plates that let us reproduce this mechanism for the custom run of knives. Pleae note that many other people who have knife companies thought this was a fine idea and now use it in their knives. DON"T EVER LET MY WIFE FIND THIS OUT: Maybe once or twice during this project Butch called and needed my help on the A/F folders down at his shop just off the Umpqua River. The correct weather conditions seemed to match this call for help. Upon my arrival the problem would be solved fast and rest of the day might have been spent fishing for smallmouth bass. That was a long time ago, don't have time to pull that off now. Bill

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 12:51
Bill:

You are a never ending source of education and amazement to me.

Thanks for the full version!

TR

P.S.- I take it you enjoy fishing then?

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 13:50
Next time we inva...I mean help Honduras, we'll have to take Mr. Harsey to Enrique's for black bass fishing. Bill Dance did a special on the lake.

I just hope Mark's sniper Gs didn't come back. LOL

Medic/Spotter - "THERE HE IS, GET THAT SOB! "Halcon 6, derecho 5."

Pilot - "Tigre 2, rojer derecho 5."

Eng/Sniper - "You two shut up, I'm trying to figure the rotor wash on the wind. And move your big-assed feet."

Medic/Spotter - "Forget all that math, I'll use the M79! And my feet are in proportion to the rest of my body, I'm big-boned."

Eng/Sniper - "DON"T SHOOT MY BAD GUY WITH THAT CANNON! Its not fair to blow them up. Show some respect."

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 14:02
Great story!

How about we just hop into Tocumen with him and take him up to Gatun?

That fishing is almost like work!

TR

Air.177
02-28-2004, 14:06
Mr. Harsey, I have found that the thumb studs on the knife can be made to work in much the same way as the "Wave" that is found on Emerson knives. That is to catch the inside of the pocket and open the knife while presenting it. I do not know if this was intended or not, but it works quite handily.

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 14:06
Works for me, and its closer. Very few bad guys to shoot though. Hell, ya'll just come down here and I'll catch one and hold him and Mr. Harsey can stick him. We'll take pics for the website. LOL

"Notice how the front portion of the quillion is relatively unaffected by the ..." LOL

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 15:35
Air.177, About those thumb studs turning into fast opening device, uuh, not really. To NousDefionsDoc, Fishing with you guys sounds like a blast! No pun intended Sir. What caliber, I mean wieght and length fishing rod works down there? Can we cover this for Field and Stream magazine? Maybe the radio show would be better. Bill

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 15:39
The Parabellum lure seems to work well. Austrian 9 rods. LOL

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 15:43
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
What caliber, I mean wieght and length fishing rod works down there?

Can we cover this for Field and Stream magazine? Maybe the radio show would be better. Bill

DuPont lures with sinkers on 5 second fuses and a net. Alternate plan is M-67 Fragmentation spinners, if we can get fresh ones.

Radio for sure. Audio track alone should be enough to put us on vacation in the GrayBar Hotel for Quite a while.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 15:49
Looks like I'm going shopping for new fishing tackle. Reaper! Yes I like to do some fishing when time allows. I've found that if I bring home a bunch of trout or a steelhead that tastes good it's easier to get "permission' to go next time. The entire fly tying operation is hidden in various places in the shop for fast access and set up on the drafting table. One fly rod is always rigged and ready to place in back of pickup for emergency escape. This is clipped to the ceiling over my drafting table for fast grab and go. Bill

Team Sergeant
02-28-2004, 15:53
I cannot tell a lie, I've been fishing with Dupont lures, and , ugh, caught my limit.....

Don't worry you fish and game people, I was OCONUS.

TS

(and for the record, I/we had no friggin idea there was a submarine close by, honest.)

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 15:54
Does SF stand for "Special Fishing"? Boy do I have a lot to learn around here. LOL real hard. Bill

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 16:33
Don't answer that last question, I know better. Must be breathing too much shop dust. Bill

Smokin Joe
02-29-2004, 13:47
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
I cannot tell a lie, I've been fishing with Dupont lures, and , ugh, caught my limit.....

Don't worry you fish and game people, I was OCONUS.

TS

(and for the record, I/we had no friggin idea there was a submarine close by, honest.)

I have this mental imagine of some sonar geek with his head phones on looking at a screen. "HOLY CRAP SKIPPER WE'RE BEING DEPTH CHARGED."

Skipper, "Naw thats just SF fishing again."

Maya
03-01-2004, 14:26
Just my $.02 worth. CRKT Crawford/Kasper, and my grandpa's old hunting knife, don't know the name as it has been worn off. I used it as a kid to skin the fruits of my trap line, and took with me on deployment while in the Navy. Both have a great feel and take a good edge.

Good stuff here. Thanks

Skipper

NousDefionsDoc
03-01-2004, 14:33
CRKT Crawford/Kasper

Oooh! I forgot about that one. I have one in my E&E kit. Built like a tank.

DDD
04-30-2004, 23:19
I am currently carrying Pat Crawford's creation of the Bob Kasper designed Perfigo. 4 1/2 inch folder that is wicked. If you can afford it it is worth a look.

Bill Harsey
05-01-2004, 17:45
Pat Crawford does very good work, I've enjoyed the times I've gotten to speak with him in Atlanta. Good guy. Glad you mentioned his work.

Roguish Lawyer
06-01-2004, 12:15
I was looking through the Emerson catalog this morning, and I see that many of the knives have what appears to be a little disc with a rough edge directly beneath the "wave." What is the purpose of this little disc?

DDD
06-01-2004, 12:43
RL,
The disk is Emerson's answer to the thumb stud for one handed opening. The advantage of the disk being that it is ambidextrous.

The Reaper
06-01-2004, 12:47
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I was looking through the Emerson catalog this morning, and I see that many of the knives have what appears to be a little disc with a rough edge directly beneath the "wave." What is the purpose of this little disc?

DDD is correct.

It is an opening device (probably to avoid copying Sal Glessner's opening hole) and once practiced, is pretty fast.

Can also be used as an opening assist on a pocket draw.

Will post pics later.

You should have asked Derek. He works for Ernie, and is pretty handy with one.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
06-01-2004, 13:08
Originally posted by The Reaper
You should have asked Derek. He works for Ernie, and is pretty handy with one.

Did he ever register here? He said he would try . . .

Bill Harsey
06-01-2004, 16:57
With all respect to Ernie Emerson and Big Derek, The disc as "thumb stud" for opening was, to the best of my knowledge, pioneered by Bob Terzoula who also happens to be one of the great pioneers of the tactical Folder. It was Mr. Terzoula who came to my shop 15 years ago now and taught me how to make a liner lock folding knife.

The Reaper
06-01-2004, 17:48
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
With all respect to Ernie Emerson and Big Derek, The disc as "thumb stud" for opening was, to the best of my knowledge, pioneered by Bob Terzoula who also happens to be one of the great pioneers of the tactical Folder. It was Mr. Terzoula who came to my shop 15 years ago now and taught me how to make a liner lock folding knife.

And now you know the rest of the story....

Thanks for sharing, Bill. You are a never ending source of information here.

TR

Sdiver
06-01-2004, 19:57
Originally posted by The Reaper
And now you know the rest of the story....TR

Paul Harvey...(aka The Reaper)....Goood Day.

Punisher_nbi45
08-04-2009, 02:43
Air.177, The A/F folder was originally designed and prototyped by me for Col. Rex Applegate. I told the Col. what I'd done with his fixed blade after the fact. This worked out well because Gerber Legendary Blades in Portland Oregon picked up the knife and is continuing to do a very good job producing it. I brought in Butch Vallotton (famous auto opener knife maker) to help with the production of the custom versions of this knife. Those A/F folders are marked "Harsey-Vallotton". They were made with 154CM Steel, titanium handle frames and micarta handle scales. This custom A/F was featured on the cover of the very first issue of Tactical Knives magazine. IMPORTANT NOTE: Butch brought the key to making this folder a successful design. I had the profile nailed down but not the configuration of the folding joint. This was tricky because we wanted to rotate the entire blade into the handle so we could sharpen the top edge and still have it protected when closed. The geometry of the joint determines if we can do this or not. Butch came up with the concept of using the thumb studs on the blade as the stop pins for both the open and closed position. This let us keep lot's of steel around the joint of the knife, that is we didn't have to make a deep relief notch at the base of the blade to rotate full closed around an internal stop pin like on conventional liner locks. Keeping my mouth shut and letting Butch work that out really paid off. I then produced the hardened steel (D-2) master drill pattern plates that let us reproduce this mechanism for the custom run of knives. Pleae note that many other people who have knife companies thought this was a fine idea and now use it in their knives. DON"T EVER LET MY WIFE FIND THIS OUT: Maybe once or twice during this project Butch called and needed my help on the A/F folders down at his shop just off the Umpqua River. The correct weather conditions seemed to match this call for help. Upon my arrival the problem would be solved fast and rest of the day might have been spent fishing for smallmouth bass. That was a long time ago, don't have time to pull that off now. Bill

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread, but there's a lot of great info here.

My first knife was a Gerber Applegate-Fairbarn combat folder.

Thank you, Mr. Harsey, for bringing it to life.

The fact that it still stings to think that I lost it...well, i wish I had another one....

Punisher_nbi45
08-04-2009, 02:47
BTW, i also have a Lone Wolf T2. :D

Penn
08-04-2009, 04:34
Punisher_nbi45....Usually the illiterate are excused here, but you posted, so you are obviously not ignorant; you just follow your own rules…and you dug up and old thread to boot!! Well by golly, that there is an attention getter if I ever seen one…and in a TS Thread no less:munchin

Richard
08-04-2009, 06:05
Punisher -

1. Go here - http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3452

2. Follow the rules or....

3. Good luck.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

chance
08-04-2009, 20:27
TS,
Have you thought about giving MSG Breed a call? He makes awesome folders and stands behind his work with a guarantee. If you want more info I have his number.

Roguish Lawyer
08-04-2009, 21:35
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13971

:D

Claemore
09-06-2009, 02:24
Team Sergeant, I know I'm a little late to the game, but a knife that was handy as hell to me working as a door maker was a Speed Bump, made by Kershaw knives. I've been wanting to get the Spec-Bump (the tactical version)
but have not had the money. You can get them for I think, under a $150.

The recurve, the straight edge, and the over all ergonomics were excellent on the Speed Bump. On the Spec-Bump you get G10 grips and S30V steel. Hope this helps.

foxtrot_70
02-22-2010, 15:07
I was introduced to the Emerson commander by Henk Iverson while under his "care" at the Lone Operator course. Its an amazing piece of work. Henk recommends avoiding the serrated version.. as he says it will "catch on ribs.. and he'll run off with your knife"

Bill Harsey
02-22-2010, 20:20
I was introduced to the Emerson commander by Henk Iverson while under his "care" at the Lone Operator course. Its an amazing piece of work. Henk recommends avoiding the serrated version.. as he says it will "catch on ribs.. and he'll run off with your knife"

Ernie Emerson is both a great guy and knifemaker.

My *preference is always for non serrated blades but if sharp they cut difficult materials very well.

*because I have the luxury of using knives in fairly calm and relatively tame conditions.

PiterM
02-23-2010, 15:22
Ernie is a great guy, absolutely!

However I'd recommend framelock Emerson for a duty knife. CQC12 "Comrade" is probably Ernies best folder ever - big & strong with thick titanium framelock and WAVE of course. It's available both as custom and production version.

dac
03-16-2010, 13:21
I carried a Gerber Gator for AGES, until I used it as a pry-bar one too many times. After that I picked up a cheap Buck folder in Fred Myers until I accidentally donated it to the Tampa TSA screener last month.

I just picked up a CRKT M21-14SF folder that seems to be well made. Purchased online, it was a little larger than it looked in the pictures but still fits well in my pocket. I really like the size and weight. The "Carson Flippers" are very nice for speedy opening, both with fingers or catching on the pocket.

Description Page (http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces-Double-Flipper-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge)

The LAWKS system looks pretty solid. I'm not going to do any destructive testing, but I will use the knife any chance I get.

Ryanr
03-16-2010, 15:01
I was in Wade's Gun Shop here in Bellevue the other day looking at handguns and I ended up walking out with a Chris Reeve Umnumzaan. (Oops.) :p

Thing is rock solid, incredibly smooth, and definitely the nicest knife I've had the chance to play with. The lock is very positive, there is absolutely zero play in the blade, and it actually does open very quietly which I appreciate. Obviously if you really flick it hard it does make a clicking noise, but it's totally possible to open it up fairly quickly and have it lock without making much noise at all, which I consider to be a useful feature.

Sierra Bravo
03-16-2010, 15:53
not that my .02 is worth much in regards to others expereinces here

but I carry 2 folders

Columbia River M21 "carson" combo edge

Lone Wolf Harsey D2 (Auto)

they both serve there purpose well for the money

but I'm a huge Fan of Harsey:)

CHRISTIN
03-20-2010, 11:52
I carry a variety of tactical folders to include a "Perseco" by Pat Crawford, a "CQC-13" by Ernie Emerson and a "Skorpin" by Duane Carrillo (Airkat). Which is my favorite?? That's hard to say, as I like them all.

dragonram7
03-31-2010, 16:39
I carried the Spyderco Kris (ED Shemp sp?) on duty for a few years. It was an excellent knife. VG-10 steel holds an edge and is easy to re-sharpen.

I carried the original BM 800BTS and 812BTS (AFCK). I had a liner lock failure. BM sent me the AFCK D2 Axis. D2 is a great steel. Holds an edge longer than the VG-10 but is a little harder to sharpen.

Carried the CRK Sabenza for six months straight. I feel S30V is a great steel when treated correctly. Never had a chip with the Sabenza's S30V. I will give you this warning-it is a well done knife. The fit and finish are superb-second to none. I stopped EDC of the Sabenza because I was ruining a piece of art work.

I used the Halo by Microtech on my vest. It was the only one I attached to my vest. The Microtech LUDT and SOCOM have held up well for me over the years. The Scarab and Combat Troodon have been excellent. I had a firing problem will the regular Troodon (two models) . I traded it in for the larger Combat Troodon without a problem.

Emerson/Benchmade Specwar CQC7 has held up well for the past 13-14 years.

I gave my SOG Recondo to one of my LEO partners getting deployed with the 19th. BG-42 is one of my favorite blade steels. The have a Spyderco Military with CF scales and BG-42 steel that was disco'd a few years back that I T&E'd. I loved it.

Hope this is helpful. Stay safe.

dragonram7
03-31-2010, 16:51
Lone wolf Knives-Once again no chipping ever of the S30V. As you look at the Lone Wolf there is quite a bit of innovation. I remember the first time I picked up the Double Duty (DA) I thought-that was smart. You'll notice fit and finnish is beautiful. The customer service is very good. I called to ask a question and they were great. I'll echo what has been said already.

If I was coming out of retirement:
1. Lone Wolf T3
2. Emerson CQC12, UBR Commander, Super CQC8, CQC15, or CQC11
3. Spyder Manix (Eric Glasser) or Chinook (James Keating).

Surgicalcric
03-31-2010, 16:55
Hope this is helpful...

What would be helpful is the new guys reading their registration email and follow the instructions contained therein.

You have a PM...

Crip

The Reaper
03-31-2010, 17:08
DR7:

Please review the board rules and stickies and comply before posting again.

TR

DJ Urbanovsky
04-02-2010, 09:26
While I own a bunch of knives from different makers, the folding knife I carry is a custom that my friend and mentor Charles Marlowe made for me. It's his Squail model. I also occasionally carry one of his Slimline folders, and a ZT300CF in my bag as a backup. The ZT hasn't cut anything since I started carrying the Squail.

Charles builds his liner and frame locks with Bob Terzoula's failsafe as described Bob's book, "The Tactical Folding Knife." I have never had the lock on one of Charles' knives fail on me. If I were to apply enough pressure to do that, the lock bar would wedge against the lock face and the knife would seize in the open position. My Squail has nearly 200 spinewhacks on it now. I can think of very few knives out there that I would try that with. Hell, I've popped the locks on knives just slapping the spine of the blade into the palm of my hand. Not cool.

Prior to my experience with the Terzoula failsafe, my favorite lock with the Axis, which I think is an outstanding system.

Oh, and once I get finished building my first liner locks for Blade this year, that ZT is getting retired or sold. :D

S.Gossman
04-06-2010, 12:28
I mainly EDC a fixed blade. The one folder I've recently aquired is a ZT 200. This would be one that I would carry on a regular basis. I'm also fond of the Al Mar Sere 2000.
Scott