PDA

View Full Version : 72 Munich Aftermath Movie

JGarcia
07-01-2005, 05:30
Read today that Spielberg is making a film starring Eric Bana about the Israeli Mossad smacking targets related to the olympics terrorist events. Here is the link for what its worth. NY Times Article (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/movies/01spie.html?ei=5065&en=0b6b27e5f627bb9a&ex=1120795200&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print) I know, I know, its a spielberg movie, the article sounds like he will be showing the 'human side' of the problem.

lksteve
07-01-2005, 07:38
the Munich Olympics were in 1972... :confused:

JGarcia
07-01-2005, 07:48
forgive my error. I edited my post but can't seem to edit the thread title. Sorry Guys.

The Reaper
07-01-2005, 07:52
forgive my error. I edited my post but can't seem to edit the thread title. Sorry Guys.

What error?

TR

lksteve
07-01-2005, 08:26
What error?you admins are amazing that way... :D

Tuukka
07-01-2005, 10:54
Wrath of God...

JGarcia
07-01-2005, 16:59
TR,

Thanks

Air.177
07-01-2005, 17:45
I could get more into this movie if Eric Bana wasn't so anti gun offscreen while making millions with guns onscreen.

danjam
07-06-2005, 04:02
This movie is also about the team that was sent by Golda Mier.

JGarcia
07-07-2005, 13:06
I was 3 years old at the time, and I don't know much about the incident or its aftermath at all. I think perhaps Spielberg will be a little less popular in Israel after the movie comes out. I think he's planning on putting some spin on the story.

lksteve
07-07-2005, 13:13
I was 3 years old at the time, and I don't know much about the incident or its aftermath at all.rub it in...i was in the 82nd...
there has already been at least one movie about the aftermath, at least from the Mossad point of view...seem to recall it was named Gideon's Sword or something like that...

Peregrino
07-07-2005, 14:14
rub it in...i was in the 82nd...
there has already been at least one movie about the aftermath, at least from the Mossad point of view...seem to recall it was named Gideon's Sword or something like that...

Sword of Gideon (kudos to danjam - course with his profile, he'd better get it right) and it was also highly fictionalized. The book of the same name details the multiple teams used and actually discusses the Lillehammer debacle, both items pretty much ignored in the movie. It (the book) was also pretty open about the tradecraft the teams used to establish their identities and execute (no pun intended) their missions. Lets see what Spielberg does with history this time. Peregrino

Peregrino
07-07-2005, 14:34
Interesting Staff Paper. http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/calahan.htm
FWIW - Peregrino

Edited to add: Anybody think the Brits are inclined to do something similar after this morning? Personally, I'm anticipating a different response to the terrorists than the Spaniards gave.

lksteve
07-07-2005, 14:57
Interesting Staff Paper. "The design of the unit closely resembled United States Army special forces' units. The members formed a team without utilizing rank and formal military doctrine."

not sure what to think of this commment...i think it's complimentary... :D

JGarcia
07-07-2005, 16:16
I would imagine that there is a small amount of a rank structure among the elite of the elite in the US Army. But its only a guess.

As to what the Brits will do, I am sure a large number of their population are saying 'I told you so' and demanding 100% of all troops participating in OP TELIC return home. But I think the british soldiers might have some idea as to what might be done. They have a board called 'The Army Rumor Service' or ARRSE. Www.arrse.co.uk

lksteve
07-07-2005, 21:54
They have a board called 'The Army Rumor Service' or ARRSE. Www.arrse.co.ukhas a very complete dictionary/encyclopedia of pertinent military terms...

JGarcia
12-27-2005, 17:11
Went and saw the film. I was wondering how much of those scenes were true. Any comments on the spy trade craft stuff? And the French guy? Are there really people out there like that?

NousDefionsDoc
12-27-2005, 17:41
GAZA (Reuters) - The Palestinian mastermind of the Munich Olympics attack in which 11 Israeli athletes died said on Tuesday he had no regrets and that Steven Spielberg’s new film about the incident would not deliver reconciliation.

The Hollywood director has called “Munich,” which dramatises the 1972 raid and Israel’s reprisals against members of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), his “prayer for peace.”

Mohammed Daoud planned the Munich attack on behalf of PLO splinter group Black September, but did not take part and does not feature in the film. He voiced outrage at not being consulted for the thriller and accused Spielberg of pandering to the Jewish state.

“If he really wanted to make it a prayer for peace he should have listened to both sides of the story and reflected reality, rather than serving the Zionist side alone,” Daoud told Reuters by telephone from the Syrian capital, Damascus.

Daoud said he had not seen the film, which will only reach most screens outside the United States next month. But he noted that Spielberg arranged previews in Israel, where some have accused “Munich” of lacking historical accuracy.

“Spielberg showed the movie to widows of the Israeli victims, but he neglected the families of Palestinian victims,” said Daoud. “How many Palestinian civilians were killed before and after Munich?” ...

“We did not target Israeli civilians,” he said. “Some of them (the athletes) had taken part in wars and killed many Palestinians. Whether a pianist or an athlete, any Israeli is a soldier.” ...

“When I chose a long time ago to be a revolutionary fighter I prepared to be a martyr. I am not afraid, because people’s souls are in God’s hands, not Israel’s,” he said.

Link (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=filmNews&storyID=2005-12-27T144633Z_01_HAR753199_RTRIDST_0_FILM-ARTS-SPIELBERG-PALESTINIAN-DC.XML)

sf11b_p
12-27-2005, 18:28
GAZA (Reuters)

“When I chose a long time ago to be a revolutionary fighter I prepared to be a martyr. I am not afraid, because people’s souls are in God’s hands, not Israel’s,” he said.

He prepared to be a martyr, he became a murderer, here's hoping someone gives him his wish and kills him.

JGarcia
12-28-2005, 08:18
I think he's on his deathbed or something.

Any after action comments about the movie?

sf11b_p
12-28-2005, 12:49
No, but former Israeli agents don't seem thrilled.

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=lifeAndLeisureNews&storyID=uri:2005-12-28T133343Z_01_EIC848718_RTRUKOC_0_US-LEISURE-SPIELBERG-SPOOKS.xml&pageNumber=1&summit=

one-zero
12-28-2005, 15:17
SF11 is on the money with his link above...
The actual AAR/LL from this op are used in a case study for some training pgms...and trust me, mistakes were made - but not on the order/fashion as depicted in this PLO fantasy film..

from the linked article
"(Spielberg was careful to add the disclaimer that the film was merely "inspired" by real events, but many Israelis say they are disappointed in the Hollywood director famed for his fastidiously researched Holocaust epic "Schindler's List.") end quote.

The only "inspired" thing that makes this film closer to "real" events than Star Wars is the fact it is occuring on our own planet, after that it's apologetic crap. I wonder if Oliver stone was a tech advisor...As for the Palestinian turd quoted out of Syria - don't buy it, he would love for you to think that was a film biased in favor of Israel...Think about it.

Once again, that article brings up some good points,,, that will be lost on many who aren't in the business.

Danila
02-27-2006, 18:22
The widow said ~ "that true justice would have been accomplished by bringing the those behind the murders to trial. Not by killing them. "

A trial accomplishes what, that is better than the murderer being dead?

I can understand a random person saying that.

I can't understand the widow of one of the Israeli atheletes actually saying that.
I had a hard time understanding how it was that even some soldiers in my unit -- which is considered more right-wing than some like the Tzanchanim (paratroopers) -- could believe in this whole "love the terrorists and they'll love you" crap. But it's important to remember that the political center of Israeli society as a whole is very far left of the American center. And though Arafat took Oslo as a chance to build up terror forces and step up anti-semitic and anti-Western propaganda, Rabin and Israel took the accords to heart. Over the last 13 or 14 years, Israelis heard no message as much as "The Palestinians are people too, all they want is to live and work and raise their families." How else could someone like Barak be elected PM or Sharon win political capital by giving up Gaza despite warnings that it would allow Hamas to increase its exercises to the battalion level, similar to Hizbollah? And then Spielberg comes out with this ridiculous movie (yes, I saw it) where in one scene the leader of a PLO group tells Bana that all the Palestinians want is "their ancestors' olive trees and flaky soil."

When my company went on its first major counter-terrorist operation just out of advanced training, we saw just who we were dealing with. We captured, among others, a pretty 17-year-old girl strapped with explosives. Is preaching peace going to make her love Jews and Americans? I wonder. But I remember that I never heard anything political from the leftist guys in our unit after that.

The way I see it, the Western trend toward modern Liberalism, though good in its emphasis on the value of life and peace, is certainly deleterious to many nations' realism and resolve in fighting their enemies. You and I might not completely understand how a woman who lost her husband to political murderers would prefer a trial to execution, but the terrorists do -- it's weakness. They're happy to exploit this wishy-washiness any chance they get, and Spain's a great example of one of their successes.

I hope and pray that Israel as a society won't succumb to this idealistic mindset as they now face a threat not only from a popularly elected terrorist government and Iranian-funded, Lebanon-based Hizbollah but also Al Qaida.

HOLLiS
02-27-2006, 20:28
I can't understand the widow of one of the Israeli atheletes actually saying that.

What was done was pratical, But to understand why she said that you would need to understand the Torah, in-justice is Chillul HaShem, the profanation of name of G-d. One is allow to be preemptive, but justice is paramount. It maybe represents the paradox that Israel lives by. To be Shomer Torah and to be a free nation.

frostfire
02-27-2006, 23:53
Nit aside,

The widow said ~ "that true justice would have been accomplished by bringing the those behind the murders to trial. Not by killing them. "

---

A trial accomplishes what, that is better than the murderer being dead?

I can understand a random person saying that.

What was done was pratical, But to understand why she said that you would need to understand the Torah, in-justice is Chillul HaShem, the profanation of name of G-d. One is allow to be preemptive, but justice is paramount. It maybe represents the paradox that Israel lives by. To be Shomer Torah and to be a free nation.

"Thou shalt not murder..." etc. etc.
"Vengeance is Mine, ......" etc. etc.

12B4S
03-01-2006, 01:59
OK, I just spent some 15 minutes, typing about the subject of this thread. I was in Munich in '71, and watched it all happen in '72. Spent 20 some minutes typing, but keep getting bounced off here. Hit enter and tells me i am not logged in/ I HATE typing. Do it and it all goes for naught. Will try again later. Bet ya'll can hardly wait. Thing is, I best find a way to boost my typing speed from 12 to 15 words a minute to 40 to 50 WPM..... ;)

HOLLiS
03-01-2006, 11:20
OK, I just spent some 15 minutes, typing about the subject of this thread. I was in Munich in '71, and watched it all happen in '72. Spent 20 some minutes typing, but keep getting bounced off here. Hit enter and tells me i am not logged in/ I HATE typing. Do it and it all goes for naught. Will try again later. Bet ya'll can hardly wait. Thing is, I best find a way to boost my typing speed from 12 to 15 words a minute to 40 to 50 WPM..... ;)

I am standing by, Sounds like a great read.

One suggestion is to use another editor and cut N paste to here. I have the same problem, plus The Corps never sent me to spellering and typering skol.:eek:

Martin
03-01-2006, 12:30
Or open another browser window, login, close it, and post in the first one where you are logged in. Good idea if you first are notified that you have to login, so you have a chance to press back to save the message.

Martin

lksteve
03-01-2006, 15:28
OK, I just spent some 15 minutes, typing about the subject of this thread....but keep getting bounced off here. type it off-line in a word processing program, then cut and paste the text here...it might work...:boohoo