PDA

View Full Version : Training aid assistance needed

Smokin Joe
06-29-2005, 07:30
Next month I will be teaching our academy's D.T. program. I have been going through my instructor notes and updating my lessons plans as needed.

While updating our Use of Force lesson plan I got the idea to make a training aid for our Use of Force continuum.

I want to build an interactive chart that when I move an icon on a slide scale it will manipulate the visual values of the chart to coincide with the appropriate response. Basically I want to be able to click on the slide scale and as I drag it up or down the appropriate officer response fields will rise or fall as the slide scale is manipulated. The main thing I'm shooting for is for it to be interactive. That way during my initial instruction I can play video clips of suspect behavior and show the cadets where the suspect is on the use of force continuum and what the officer’s available options are. Additionally if I need to remedial I can role play scenarios and manipulate the chart to further emphasize what I'm talking about.

For visual reference and clarification I have attached a few pics
pic 1: Shows the Use of Force Continuum in the basic sense
pic 2: Shows another chart but with the addition of suspect actions, a slide scale drawn in, and the appropriate officer reaction. Specifically in this scenario the suspect is displaying "Passive Resistant" behavior the officers correct response is "Soft Hands" all greater force options are dropped off.
pic 3: Shows the same chart as pic 2 except the suspect is displaying Aggravated Active Aggression. Thus the slide scale is at the top (for visual clarification) and the officer’s reaction is Deadly Force (and all lesser means are available to the officer as well).

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get this done? I have talked with a few I.S. guys at work and they are recommending every thing from Excel to Visual Basic and C++. Most of the programs and terms they suggested flew right over my head.

I know and can manipulate excel, PowerPoint, and pretty much any other office program. What I can't do is program. I'm willing to learn; however, I don't have the resources to learn C++ or visual basic.

Thank you for any help and suggestions I appreciate it.

Joe

Martin
06-29-2005, 14:43
I'm not personally that ass kickin' with Excel, but I find it hard to believe that you can't find those sort of functions there or in a combination with Powerpoint.

You need to verify with a knowledgeable person that what you want to do, or something with a desired similar effect, is possible with Excel.

A simplified idea is to create an area that you'll use for the slide bar, and have it shown at all pages. The various points on the slides, however, would simply link to another page. Alas - giving the illusion of dynamism.
I would be careful not to make too many interpage links if this is solely for a presentation. Stay focused on functionality, as you already seem.

As for the rest, this can without doubt be done in C++, . NET, Visual Basic, Ruby, Python, etc. Those are programming languages, more or less high level, meaning that you'd write the whole thing from scratch. Although you could use libraries to access files and display capabilities, it is probably not worth the hastle unless you want this industrialized. Alternatively, if you're already good at it, and geeky or perfectionist. Even then it's doubtful.

jatx
06-29-2005, 14:53
Joe, PM sent. This is a snap.

Martin
06-29-2005, 15:04
Joe, PM sent. This is a snap.
Feel free to educate us technologically impaired. :munchin

I'm waiting for a PM too, btw... :)

jatx
06-29-2005, 15:13
Feel free to educate us technologically impaired. :munchin

I'm waiting for a PM too, btw... :)

Martin, you are absolutely correct, and if you were in San Francisco right now the beers would be on me. PM inbound. :)

If I'm able to help Joe come up with something cool, I'm sure we can arrange for it to be shared with curious Swedes everywhere...

Smokin Joe
06-29-2005, 21:34
Thank you gentlemen.

Jatx PM back at you.

NousDefionsDoc
06-29-2005, 21:38
Here's my contribution - great idea. I wanna copy if it works. ;)

Smokin Joe
06-30-2005, 01:38
Here's my contribution - great idea. I wanna copy if it works. ;)

Roger That!

Martin
06-30-2005, 04:38
jtax, no worries. Sweden bears are small and don't have pool access, no way they'll make the swim.

----------------

Does this go under trade secret? Otherwise, perhaps it could be posted?

Smokin Joe
07-25-2005, 03:41
Jatx,

You da MAN!!!

For all of you who need a copy PM me.

This thing is perfect (for my application) YMMV.