PDA

View Full Version : Hot Saw!

Bill Harsey
06-28-2005, 20:54
This has to do with cutting stuff.
Check this out, www.hotsaw.com

edited to add, What a surprise, check out page 4, old friend of mine David Foster is there. In his day David held about every world professional Timber Sport chopping record there was.

CPTAUSRET
06-28-2005, 23:32
COOL!

Terry

Razor
06-29-2005, 07:45
Holy crap! Two guys on a crosscut beat a chainsaw? :eek:

mumbleypeg
06-29-2005, 09:16
The Iron Horse-- 90 hp
500cc Husqvarna Motorcycle
Engine. Running Oregon 1/2
pitch chain on a 36" custom
made guide bar. The drive
sprocket is 16 tooth. Over
8,000 RPM in the cut.

Wait! Wait, are you sure this isn't a motocross event?

These guys are bad ass.

Now, I see:
"In 1971 I set Three Land Speed records at Bonneville Salt Flats on a 500cc
Kawasaki mounted in a frame of my own design. All records were set in
different classes."

Bill Harsey
06-29-2005, 09:25
Holy crap! Two guys on a crosscut beat a chainsaw? :eek:
Razor,
I've seen it done in person. You take almost any current 2 man team of world class competitors in hand sawing and they will beat any stock chain saw thru a log for a single cut.

David Foster was the only axeman when chopping in competition that I could feel the shock of his hits transmitted thru the ground where I was standing 30 feet away. His long undefeated run in world competition made it even more amazing when a good friend of mine Melvin Lentz beat him to win the Australian Timber sports underhand chopping finals for the Championship.
David is from Tasmania.

Bill Harsey
06-29-2005, 09:28
The Iron Horse-- 90 hp
500cc Husqvarna Motorcycle
Engine. Running Oregon 1/2
pitch chain on a 36" custom
made guide bar. The drive
sprocket is 16 tooth. Over
8,000 RPM in the cut.

Wait! Wait, are you sure this isn't a motocross event?

These guys are bad ass.

Now, I see:
"In 1971 I set Three Land Speed records at Bonneville Salt Flats on a 500cc
Kawasaki mounted in a frame of my own design. All records were set in
different classes."
The limiting factor in the hot saw competition is that one man has to be able to pull start the saw and cut with it by himself.
You get very much bigger of an engine and you can't pull start it or pick it up and cut anymore.

jbour13
06-29-2005, 09:43
The limiting factor in the hot saw competition is that one man has to be able to pull start the saw and cut with it by himself.
You get very much bigger of an engine and you can't pull start it or pick it up and cut anymore.

To see a graphic representation of Bill's post check out this link.

http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?video=V8-Chainsaw

Be advised that this is a graphics intense website and not dial-up friendly. Make sure to turn on your speakers to hear the big one roar.

This specified link is work friendly, other videos on the website are good but could cause some issues. :D

Bill Harsey
06-29-2005, 09:51
jbour13,
I've seen that saw run in person and was very careful to stand exactly to the side in case the chain broke.
I've seen hotsaw chain break in competition and go clear over the safety backstop and break the windshield out of a car two hundred yards away in the parking lot.

jbour13
06-29-2005, 10:00
jbour13,
I've seen that saw run in person and was very careful to stand exactly to the side in case the chain broke.
I've seen hotsaw chain break in competition and go clear over the safety backstop and break the windshield out of a car two hundred yards away in the parking lot.

I watched a gent almost lose an arm while doing vehicle recovery because he didn't dampen the chain with an extra tow strap.

I remember him saying somthing to the effect of "It's a log chain, it takes a lot to break one!" Of course good ole boy #2 didn't understand the principal of taking slack out gently.

Gent #1 suffered multiple fractures to his arm from wrist to shoulder and had a really bruised ego when I gave the typical, "Told ya so!'

Bill Harsey
06-29-2005, 10:02
I watched a gent almost lose an arm while doing vehicle recovery because he didn't dampen the chain with an extra tow strap.

I remember him saying somthing to the effect of "It's a log chain, it takes a lot to break one!" Of course good ole boy #2 didn't understand the principal of taking slack out gently.

Gent #1 suffered multiple fractures to his arm from wrist to shoulder and had a really bruised ego when I gave the typical, "Told ya so!'
Are you talking about a winch?

I was talking about the cutting chain of the saw breaking and coming off the bar.

jbour13
06-29-2005, 10:43
No,...mine was left field, sorry.

I understood your post completely. I was just comparing an experience of mine to relate to yours.

And a winch wasn't involved, just 2 bubbas using a log chain to pull a ditched vehicle out, the wrong way.

Bill Harsey
06-29-2005, 11:38
No,...mine was left field, sorry.

I understood your post completely. I was just comparing an experience of mine to relate to yours.

And a winch wasn't involved, just 2 bubbas using a log chain to pull a ditched vehicle out, the wrong way.
You mean two guys pulled on a chain by hand so hard that they broke it and caused that much damage? :D

jbour13
06-29-2005, 11:40
You mean two guys pulled on a chain by hand so hard that they broke it and caused that much damage? :D

Why do you think it's called the Show Me State??? :D