PDA

View Full Version : Lights

The Reaper
02-26-2004, 17:10
Let's talk about lights.

These are my latest lights, picked up at the SHOT Show.

The only void here is a very powerful light for searching, and I have a Surefire 9P with the High Intensity lamp (not pictured) that I use for that purpose.

The Photon Fusion:

I use the Fusion as a head lamp primarily, though it makes a decent handheld flashlight (the lamp can easily be moved from the center of the battery pack to the end), a table lamp, which can be aimed by use of the flexible head, or as a bike lamp. It has six white and one red LED, and can be cycled through a variety of intensities. It takes three AA batteries, which can be found almost anywhere. It can be found for $60 or so, which is quite reasonable for what you get.

http://www.photonlight.com/fusion/index.html

(from their web site):

The Photon Fusion® brings versatility and function together in a new design. Incredibly energy efficient with a powerful full spectrum beam, the Photon Fusion illuminates your work or play area with a clear shadow free light. Electronic switching offers users a choice of three levels of brightness, three levels of strobe, and an auto shutoff. The secondary "Hyper-Bright" button will give you instantaneous full, steady light. Light is produced by six powerful LED's (light emitting diodes). The water resistant Photon Fusion is also a hand flashlight easily disconnected from the head strap. This design allows convenient hand or table top use. The adjustable indexed head provides for a focused beam that will stay where you direct it. An easily replaceable lens guarantees the ability to always have the brightest possible light. Quick and easy AA battery change enables worldwide use. Runs on Carbon, Alkaline, NiCad, NiMH, or Lithium cells. All contacts are gold-plated. Bike taillight/headlight use is possible with optional mounting bracket. The Photon Fusion is designed for long life and rugged use by the serious user.

Fusion light array never dims! Instead of dimming as the batteries lose their strength, the advanced circuitry built into the Fusion keeps the light at full brightness until the batteries are almost completely dead. The only down side to this technology is that you may have little warning that the batteries are near the end of their life. The Fusion won't leave you in the dark, though. When the batteries can no longer provide enough power for the level of brightness selected, you may simply switch to a lower setting and continue to use the light.

Your world is larger than a sheet of paper. Typically, light output measurements of a flashlight are taken by calculating the amount of light projected onto a spot about the size of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. The Fusion has been designed for real-world use by real people, and produces a broad beam of bright light to give you full peripheral vision, without any of those annoying rings of shadow that come from focusing a typical flashlight bulbs. Because of this even beam of light, the Fusion makes an awesome work light.

The Surefire L1:

The Surefire L1 is my pocket or Level 1 Load Light. It is under 5" long and weighs less than three ounces. They are in short supply because of their popularity. They are 1xDL123 3v. battery powered, computer chip controlled 1 watt LED light. The LED will probably outlive us, and the lithium battery has a ten year shelf life. They have a low power setting which is bright enough for reading, and will allow the light to run for 50 hours, or a 15 lumen high intensity setting which will drain the battery in 2 hours. The settings are controlled by the button on the base, a light push gives you the low beam, a complete depression gives you the high beam, and screwing the cap in will leave it on constantly. It has a scalloped bezel, so that you can see if you have set the light down with it on. A pocket clip (which will also go on the brim of your hat) is built in. The light comes in white (general and full color discrimination), red (preserves night vision but renders blood invisible), blue (which highlights blood as black), or green (generally okay, does make vegetation disappear) LEDs. The L1 can be found for as little as $95 or so.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/932/sesent/00

There is a two cell L2, and a 5 watt 2 cell L4.

(from their web site):

Constructed of aerospace grade aluminum with a rugged military specification hard-anodized finish, and powered by a single lithium battery (10-year shelf life), the L1 LumaMax features a one-watt LED (Light Emitting Diode) and the extended runtime typical of LED flashlights. The L1’s digitally controlled two-stage switch allows the user to choose either a low-output beam for close-up work or a high-output beam for full power applications -- simply depress the tailcap switch halfway for the low beam, continue depressing to activate the high beam. Twist the tailcap to achieve constant light on either beam setting. The L1 also features digital current regulation circuitry to match the LED's current requirements with the battery's output to maintain a more consistent level of light output for the useable life of the batteries (as opposed to unregulated lights, which are subject to a steady decline in light intensity beginning shortly after activation).

The L1 produces useable light for up to 50 hours on the low-beam setting; high-beam runtime is approximately two hours. Unlike most LED flashlight manufacturers -- who inflate the light output and usable runtimes of their LEDs -- SureFire provides realistic output and runtime specifications based on scientifically obtained measurements. Although any LED -- including those produced by SureFire -- can continue to produce negligible light output for over 50 hours, the amount of "useful" light produced is of a shorter duration.

Battery - One lithium 123A 3.0 Volt with 10-year shelf life

Output/Runtime - High beam runtime approx. two hours with 15 lumens maximum output. Low beam runtime approx. 50 hours

Construction - CNC machined aerospace-grade aluminum. Hard anodized finish for extreme corrosion and wear-resistance. Pyrex® lens with anti-reflective coating, removable stainless steel pocket clip, O-ring sealed

Length and weight (with batteries) - 4.75 inches / 2.9 ounces

Flawless beam, no dark spots or rings

LEDs available in white, red, blue, and green

Patented lock-out tailcap feature allows the light to be locked in the off position to prevent unintentional activation during storage or transportation

Weatherproof and lightweight

The Photon Fredom:

The Photon Freedom is my key ring or dog tag chain light. It is tiny, efficient, economical, comes in a variety of colors, and is always there whern I need it. It is perfect for small tasks, and I have actually used it to find my larger lights when I have misplaced them. I keep a red one on my dog tag chain, and a white one on my key ring. It also comes in other colors, including IR and UV, should you need that sort of capability. It too, is a computer controlled LED lamp. It is similar in function to the Photon III, but instead of having to click through the menu, ramps up and cycles through automatically. It has a completely variable ramp up and ramp down settings, you release it where you want it to stay. It has a fast, medium, and slow strobe, as well as an SOS flashing mode. The mount allows you to clip it to anything 1/2" or less, and point it wherever you wish. It also comes with a tiny snap link for attaching and detaching from zipper pulls, key rings, etc. It uses 1 or 2 coin batteries, depending on color, and battery life is from 18 hours or so on the highest setting to almost 60 hours on the low setting, and can be had from $12-$20 or so. It is brand new and there is not much info out there about it, including the company's own web site.

http://www.photonlight.com/products/photon_3.html

(covers the Photon III, Freedom page to follow)

(from the web):

The new Freedom Micro Light has variable levels of intensity plus a flashing strobe. Each function is activated by pressing the side of the light once to turn it on, or holding pressure to ramp the intensity up from dim to bright, or back again. The variable intensity levels are valuable for conserving battery power, preserving night vision, or just to avoid disturbing others. The light is water resistant and comes with a hands-free clip for cap bill or clothing attachment.

Features smart circuit, single button on/off operation, quick release ring, 4 beacon modes, water resistant, and easy battery replacement. Hands free multi-purpose Photon Clip included for a limited time. Clips to cap, pack, clothing, etc., rotates 360 degrees horizontally and 180 degrees vertically.

Hope this was of value.

TR

Left to right is the Photon Fusion, the Surefire L1, and the Photon Freedom (with pocket/shirt/hat clip and snap link). The CRK Sebenza is a large folder and is provided for size reference.

NousDefionsDoc
02-26-2004, 17:38
Outstanding thread! Light is much more important than most people realize. Weapons lights a different thread?

I use Surefire.

Light is good.

militarymoron
02-26-2004, 17:39
good info, TR. thanks for taking the time and effort.
here's a link to the lights i picked up at SHOT:
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/equipment.1.html#inova

the inova 24/7 and the quiqlite.
cheers,
MM

NousDefionsDoc
02-26-2004, 17:47
MM,
You're website is really look good over there. Congratulations.

shadowflyer
02-26-2004, 18:47
I have 2 Surefire lights. The E2 Executive ( I would love to get the LED conversion head for the E2) and the M3 Millenium. I keep the E2 in my first aid bag and I carry the M3 for use with my CCW gun. The E2 puts out 60 lumens and the M3 puts out 115 or 220 lumens depending on which bulb I use. I normally use the 220 lumen bulb as it puts out the most light. Does any body have any advice on light-gun techniques when not using a pistol mounted light? I have taught myself the Rodgers-Surefire technique and have gotten pretty proficient with that particular technique.

Best Regards,
JJ

militarymoron
02-26-2004, 23:57
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
MM,
You're website is really look good over there. Congratulations.

thanks, NDD.
cheers,
MM

eggroll
02-27-2004, 03:14
The Quicklite is a very handy piece especially if you mount it between two pouches on a PALS rig. Surprisingly brite for its size.

I have to get back to stitching and webbing now. :(

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 09:22
Originally posted by eggroll
The Quicklite is a very handy piece especially if you mount it between two pouches on a PALS rig. Surprisingly brite for its size.

I have to get back to stitching and webbing now. :(

I looked at the Quiglight at the SHOT. It was very nice, and met my low density HSLD assessment.

OTOH, it did not appear to me to be as flexible as the Photons, and was significantly more expensive, so I passed.

As a freebie, it would be very nice.

TR

Team Sergeant
02-27-2004, 09:37
I like my SureFire so much I bought this to carry it...

shadowflyer
02-27-2004, 09:39
Quit braggin Team Sarn't. ;)

As I drool over that nice piece of weaponry.

JJ

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 10:13
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
I like my SureFire so much I bought this to carry it...

Don't you find that it is hard to see with that EOTech in front of the Trijicon?:D

TR

militarymoron
02-27-2004, 12:06
TR - i hear ya - you can't beat a freebie. i actually paid good money for the quiqlite since i didn't spend much at SHOT (unlike a gun show). at least they had a show special.
cheers,
MM

Air.177
02-27-2004, 12:43
Great posts all around. Being somewhat of a flashlight enthusiast myself, I have collected a few over the past couple of years. Some of my favorites that I carry on a regular basis are:
Surefire Z2 with 65 lumen bulb
Inova X5 white LED
Streamlight Stylus White LED
Streamlight Stylus-2 Red LED
Photon Microlight II with Green LED
All have worked extremely well as long as you keep in mind their intended purpose and limitations.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 12:49
I think that the LED and the IC controller have revolutionized the personal light industry.

And more/better is coming every year.

TR

Air.177
02-27-2004, 12:56
I like the idea of the SureFire A2 aviator with both LED's and standard Xenon bulb for variable intensity lighting. We are expecting a shipment from Surefire any day now here at The Dirt, and I will be claiming only the best and the brightest for my own use.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 13:20
PM me with a price on the Aviator, if you would.

It is big, and has a bulb to burn out, but wouldn't mind getting one to play with.

Hey, you get any blowout deals that you think are smoking, I wouldn't mind seeing them ont his site, maybe we need a Classifieds Section or Swap Meet for us to buy/see/trade gear?

Hey, Team Sergeant!!

TR

NousDefionsDoc
02-27-2004, 14:18
What's the Dirt? PM me if you need to.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 14:48
You have been out of the country!

"Cheaper Than Dirt", nice catalog, lots of budget gear, I believe our young Air .177's employer.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/default.asp

Got just the thing for you to have fun around the house!

TR

LOT-112

Military Surgical Hand Drill, Incl. Bits, Bores & Chucks, Stainless Steel, Superb Quality

$79.97

NousDefionsDoc
02-27-2004, 14:51
LOL - I'm saving my money for something else.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 15:02
LOL - I'm saving my money for something else.

Hey, what could be more fun than having your wife and kids catch you practicing your trepanning or orthopedic repair techniques on a coconut or other suitable substitute, perhaps in the privacy of your basement laboratory?

TR

Air.177
02-27-2004, 17:02
Will advise on anything that I come across that looks Promising, however, most of our stuff is either Chinese, or surplus that has seen better days. There is the occasional diamond in the rough like your previously mentioned LOT-112 though:D

Here's a 1911 style handgun for all of ya:

SOFT-330

Laser Combat Handguns Complete Soft Air system includes hard carry case, real working laser with remote pressure switch, scope mount that attaches to the frame, scope, suppressor, and removable magazine, ammo and instructions. The laser alone is worth $30, but with this complete system you get the full sized handgun and all accessories! This gun is realistic and may be DANGEROUS to carry or display in public because it may be mistaken for a firearm. It has a non-removable bright-orange muzzle, which indicates it is not a firearm. Use all safety precautions, as with any firearm. This gun is similar to popular submachine guns. Must be over 18 to order; adult signature required on delivery.

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 15:52
Someone ask about long gun weapon lights?

I got old school, new school, and in between transitional models.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 16:09
Don't you guys just love Reaper's pics? Good gear, good backgrounds, good photos. Those gear guys should hire you to do all their work, they'd sell more. Or you could do trades.

I'll model. LOL

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 16:19
Don't you guys just love Reaper's pics? Good gear, good backgrounds, good photos. Those gear guys should hire you to do all their work, they'd sell more. Or you could do trades.

I'll model. LOL

NDD:

Thanks, Bro.

If you are modelling though, Ray White is taking the pics and Jerry and Thack are directing.

That should be a big seller!

TR

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 16:26
NO WAY! I'm out. LOL

Smokin Joe
02-28-2004, 22:51
I carry the following while on duty
Surefire M-2 on my duty belt.
Surefire E-1 in my pocket as a back up light.
Stylus Led pen light.

I carry a Surefire E-1 all the time, and a Surefire 6Z in my car.

My father bought the big daddy Surefire 10x dominator 500 friggin lumens. He also said it will blind you for about 5 mins, and I'm not talking white spots. More like "holy sh*t I can't see anything at all"

He said he can see about 500 yards at night with it. :eek:

How does the LED replacement heads for the surefires effect the lumens i.e. a M-2 that puts out 120 lumens if I put an LED head on it what am I sacrficing?

Great thread TR.

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 23:13
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
How does the LED replacement heads for the surefires effect the lumens i.e. a M-2 that puts out 120 lumens if I put an LED head on it what am I sacrficing?

Great thread TR.

There are three dedicated replacement heads:

The KL1 (1 watt) fits the E2e and E1, has 17 lumens, but the pattern is very clear and run time (with the E2) is extended to 4 hours of max light, 11 more of moderate, and finally about 50 hours at minimal illum output.

The KL2 fits M3 flashilghts and has 19x 5mm Nichia LEDs and puts out 27 lumens max output for 1.5 hours, followed by 13.5 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output.

The KL3 fits 6P, D2/D3, Z2/Z3, C2/C3, M2 flashlights. 6P, D2, Z2, C2, M2 Runtime is 19 lumens max output for 4.25 hours, followed by 4.75 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output. D3, Z3, C3 Runtime: 19.5 lumens max output for 7 hours, followed by 8 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output.

HTH.

TR

Smokin Joe
02-28-2004, 23:19
Damn, so the LED heads dramatically increase run time.

Would you trade out any of your weapon lights for LED heads?

I don't think I would compromise the lumens for the duration of run time, but I would like to here your opinion.

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 23:27
No, but I would change all non-weapons lights if they weren't so expensive.

Never have to buy another bulb though.

TR

Smokin Joe
02-28-2004, 23:35
Originally posted by The Reaper
No, but I would change all non-weapons lights if they weren't so expensive.

Never have to buy another bulb though.

TR

Thanks TR,

I kind of figured you wouldn't either.

Unfortunately for me the light on my duty belt serves as my pistol weapon light.

That is until I get enough money saved up to by a new frame for my Kimber TLE that will accomodate a dedicated light.

Damn the Yarbrough knife, an EOTECH sight, a SOPMOD forend for my M-4gery, plus a light for my M-4gery, and a new Kimber frame. Ah screw saving come on debt.

Thanks for the clarification TR, I have heard alot of things about the LED conversitions, but I haven't seen one yet and I don't have a Surefire rep that I can bug for information.

pulque
01-17-2005, 11:53
The Photon Fredom:
It uses 1 or 2 coin batteries, depending on color, and battery life is from 18 hours or so on the highest setting to almost 60 hours on the low setting, and can be had from $12-$20 or so. It is brand new and there is not much info out there about it, including the company's own web site.

Sir Reaper, the webpage for the Photon Freedom is up now.
http://www.photonlight.com/products/freedom_micro/index.html

On that page I can find no mention of battery life. The red Photon II is claimed to get 120 hours of life on the single CR2032 Lithium battery. I wonder if the red Photon Freedom can achieve only half of that. In any case, the other features of the Freedom look good, and right now it comes with one of them hands-free clips.

The Reaper
01-17-2005, 12:10
Sir Reaper, the webpage for the Photon Freedom is up now.
http://www.photonlight.com/products/freedom_micro/index.html

On that page I can find no mention of battery life. The red Photon II is claimed to get 120 hours of life on the single CR2032 Lithium battery. I wonder if the red Photon Freedom can achieve only half of that. In any case, the other features of the Freedom look good, and right now it comes with one of them hands-free clips.

Might come in handy on an overseas trip, doesn't take up much space.

TR

bberkley
01-17-2005, 12:19
I've always been kind of a gadget junkie, I can remember when I got my first Maglight, then a mini maglight, which I thought was the greatest thing. I was amazed at the light output with a halogen bulb. I still keep a 3cell Maglight in the house, but have branched to more expensive toys. My first taste of high-grade lights was a Nightsun bicycle lighting system, then a Niterider. The difference between the 2 of them is like comparing Surefire to Maglight.

I currently have a Surefire Z2 with a P61 lamp assembly, a Streamlight Scorpion, a Surefire P101 weapon light, and a Petzl LED/Xenon headlamp. I have a couple of Pelican penlights as well.

Hands down, the Surefires are the best lights I've owned.

MackallResident
01-12-2010, 10:07
To caveat on recommendations in this thread thus far, I have ordered a cheaper LED flashlight as a stow away in my car for a just in case type scenario. They are similar in appearance to surefire, though at a good dime cheaper. I have ordered one and plan on posting a review when i receive it later this week. The lights are called ultrafire lights, and are clearly a rip off of surefire, but if it is a good light, it is a damn fine price.

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/ultrafire-l2-cree-r2wc-250lumen-led-flashlight-with-assault-crown-1186502cr123a-p-14245.html

Cougar6zulu
01-15-2010, 14:08
the Photon Freedom (with pocket/shirt/hat clip and snap link)...-TR

I would like to offer my review..........."This thing is friggin useful as hell!" we were issued the new surefire-mitch- bolt on and its good for what it is 'POINT AREA' but the freedom served me well OUT AND ABOUT. The ability to aim it was paramount to me, and i found the clip pretty durable.

"TANK GOD AND GIVER OF LIFE TO ALL THINGS MECHANICAL"

JoeyB
01-15-2010, 15:32
I ordered these a couple months ago as throw aways, Outstanding for the money
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

plus some of their other lights for EDC/car carry are working out great.
Chinese products with free shipping

The Reaper
01-15-2010, 21:46
I have said it before, but it would appear to bear repeating.

You guys betting your lives on $10 bargain flashlights are selling yourselves cheaply. They are going to fail on you at a bad time and let you down, but only you know what your own lives are worth.

Do you use a $75 pistol as well?

Best of luck.

TR

steve912
05-16-2011, 06:14
Just I wanted mention the lumintop td15-xml torch. I use this at work daily and for a hand held light puts out some heat. They claim 700+ lumen but it is really about 580. Very well made, has been dropped multiple times on cement. Some stats here..

The TD15X is a variable-output flashlight that provides four mode of light output. It uses a super bright CREE XM-L T6 LED and a precision reflector to produce a consistently smooth beam at any level. By loosen and tighten the head to switch between four output level - lowest for longest runtime at 20 lumens, highest for maximum light at 580 lumens (1X18650), and strobe for tactical. Its pushbutton tailcap click switch provides secure, ergonomic activation control: press for momentary-on, click for constant-on. The TD15X's crenellated strike bezel and scalloped tailcap provide further defensive options should the need arise.

TD15X comes with one extension tube for using 3x CR123A batteries. A optional second extension tube can be added for using 4x CR123A (or 2x 18650) batteries.

Specifications:
Bulb: CREE XM-L T6 LED
Max Output / Runtime: 580 lumens (1X18650) / 720 lumens (2X18650) / 1 hour

Middle output / Runtime: 200 lumens / 4 hours

Low output / Runtime: 20 lumens / 35 hours

Length: 5.83 inches (148mm)

Bezel Diameter: 1.50 inches (38mm)

Body Diameter: 1 inches (25.4mm)

Weight: 5.3 ounces (150g)

Light Mode: Low-Middle-High-Strobe

Waterproof: IPX-8
Battery Type: 2x CR123A , 2x RCR123A/16340, 1x Li-ion 18650 or 1x 17670 battery

Battery Type with 1 x Extension Tube: 3x CR123A , 3x RCR123A/16340 batteries

Battery Type with 2 x Extension Tube: 4x CR123A , 2x Li-ion 18650 or 2x 17670 batteries

*Output & runtimes based on two CR123A 1300mAh lithium batteries

Features:
Use CREE XM-L T6 LED regulated to maximize output and runtime

Precision reflector creates smooth, optimized beam

Coated tempered window resists impact, 99% Transmission of light, protect the reflector and LED

Four output mode by loosen and tighten the bezel to switch - lowest for longest runtime, highest for maximum light, and strobe for tactical

High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized for extreme durability

Tactical tailcap switch - press for momentary-on, click for constant-on

High ductility steel clip provides multiple carry options

Anti-reverse protection circuit

Weatherproof O-Ring sealed that keep moisture, dust and dirt outside of your flashlight

Wear resistant square thread

Stainless steel crenelated Strike Bezel and scalloped tailcap provide further defensive options.

Intelligent memory circuitry memorizes last mode when activating the light.

Combat Ring with anti-rolling design for secure hold in all conditions

Included accessories: holster, lanyard, body clip, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot.

The holster isnt the best quality, I do have the extension piece for an additional 18650 and in my opinion worth it.. Runs around 100.00 and imo definately worth the price, they also have the td15 which has more of a tight beam where the td15x floods but still can light an area over 100 yards. Or really light up a room... Down below is a link where I purchased mine if anyone is interested. And a clip to give an idea what she looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jx35qxvHhU

http://www.lightjunction.com/lumintop-TD15X-XML-flashlight.html

frostfire
05-16-2011, 10:24
I have said it before, but it would appear to bear repeating.

You guys betting your lives on $10 bargain flashlights are selling yourselves cheaply. They are going to fail on you at a bad time and let you down, but only you know what your own lives are worth.

Do you use a $75 pistol as well?

Best of luck.

TR

This one is not $10, but under $100. So far, the performance is as promised/advertised/reviewed. I've stomped and thrown that sucker as hard as I could so many times and it never blinked. Cheap, non-rugged accessories, and non-US made though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WSPKuunCI&feature=related

http://www.olightworld.com/product_list.asp?bid=77&sid=89

dr. mabuse
05-16-2011, 20:56

45K40
05-18-2011, 14:36
Many fine choices for lights. Being a light-freak myself (over 90 0f 'em), here's a few tips. LEDs are the best for runtimes, trippling the runtime vs incandescent. Incans get hot (how many here have burned a hole in a case/bag with a hot bulb accidently turned on...) and have a tendency to be fragile when dropped or exposed to heavy recoil. However, an LED light produces very little IR light; this means no IR filter can be used over it, something to think about if you are doing incan to LED conversion. www.candlepowerforums.com is a wealth of info on almost any type of light known to man. A little on the geeky side, but the reviews are very good,

45K40

steve912
05-19-2011, 07:12
I agree with 45K40, thats how I found out about my light. Candlepower forums are constantly reviewing new and old items alike, they are highly recommended:cool:

wet dog
06-21-2011, 22:43
Next item on the short list of cool stuff every guy needs.

http://liquidimageco.com/products/water/scuba-series-hd-wide.php

aaronw
09-03-2011, 10:28
Anybody try the RAID weapon light yet? I have high hopes for this one. Seems to be about twice as much as the scout series but I've broken more $100 IR covers than I can count.. So maybe the cost difference will even out in the end?

Tho at this point with the peq15 I don't even remember the last time I used weapon light with the ir cover... Still like to give it a whirl. Hopefully we buy some to try out.