PDA

View Full Version : need advice for foreign (civilian) visa application

abc_123
06-21-2005, 20:22
Looking for other QPs who have had to apply for visas to former/current communist countries for personal/ civilian business travel purposes. I have to do same as a condition of civilian (non governmental / non-security industry related) employment and don't want to be dumb honest and get myself denied entry, or seletively omit something that will come back on me later. Anybody out there who has BTDT that I could talk to about how to put the proper english on this ball, i'd sure be appreciative. Great opportunity for me (and my family) and i don't want to reduce my chances for approval by saying something stupid.

i'm flying blind right now and could use a little bit of guidence.

thanks much

Eagle5US
06-22-2005, 08:36
The biggest factor with communist countries is something you have no control over...your heritage.
In almost every instance I have participated in regarding this...their biggest concern was regarding any dissidents in my names history, if my family had tried to openly oppose one of the previously recognized gov'ts etc.
I would refrain from any DETAILS of your military history if they have to do with intelligence. Confirm any and all details that relate to a civilian criminal history that would be verified / reportable (felonies).

Good luck

Eagle

Jimbo
06-23-2005, 11:12
I've had excellent results getting visas for current and former commie countries by using this company:
http://www.g3visas.com/

abc_123
06-26-2005, 08:17
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

Just that the one app i saw asked some pretty specific questions about military background and skills and I am trying to get a gauge on how to best fill out the app, understand if possible how deep their background check process goes and my chances for getting denied (not that i'm any more 'special' than the next guy). I know the cold war is over and we're all freinds now, but I got to thinking that these countries might not want guys with SF backgrounds running around the country even if on civilian business.

I'll check out that company that you mentioned, Jimbo.

Huey14
06-26-2005, 20:25
Far be it for me to advocate...non disclosure of details on an official form, I would doubt they can check US govt records.

abc_123
06-26-2005, 22:16
Me too. I just came dangerously close to thinking too much... :eek:

lurch
06-27-2005, 11:56
Don't know which country you are headed for, but, I have been living in Russia for the past several years and came on visas in the past with no problems. Currently am holding a Russian version of a green card and still have had no problems. Served in SF for the best part of 8 years, held a TS and did battle with the commies in SE Asia. No one has ever questioned me about any of this. Maybe its because I'm a FOG and it doesn't matter. Wish you the best.

abc_123
06-27-2005, 16:18
Lurch,

PM inbound.

Half Russian
07-02-2005, 12:57
ABC i have traveled to Russia many times and for all but two of those trips i used the following company; http://www.gotorussia.com/

they have visa support for all of the countries of the former USSR. don't know if you're still looking or not but thought this might help.

abc_123
07-03-2005, 19:31
HR,

It does help. Thanks for taking the time to post!

My primary dilemma however is in how exactly to answer the questions on the visa applications. The INTENT is to avoid getting rejected due to my past/current military service that has nothing to do with why I want to get into country in the first place. I just want in so that I can visit the manufacturing facilities of a company that just offered me a job. Period.

Going thru a company my be the best way to ensure that my app goes thru w/o hassles.

thanks

Jimbo
07-03-2005, 19:42
Be truthful. If you are of interest, they already have a file on you and lying will only make them more suspicious.

If, for whatever reason, you ping their system, just be prepared for some extra attention at customs and while you travel about the country.

Sometimes, that's not a bad thing.