PDA

View Full Version : Bob Horrigan Tribute

Roguish Lawyer
06-21-2005, 18:30
Quite a knife maker.

http://www.horriganknives.com/

Peregrino
06-21-2005, 18:36
He and his talent will be missed. It is good to know that there will always be at least a piece of him out there with every knife he ever made. Was it a family show or did they "just" support his hobby? Peregrino

Bill Harsey
06-21-2005, 18:45
Thanks RL,
We lost Master Sergeant Robert M. Horrigan last week in Iraq.
He was assigned to Special Operations Command.

I loved the idea that a Special Operations soldier was also making knives and would have done everything I could to help him. Robert was supposed to come out here in October. He damn sure didn't need my help because his twin brother John is a first rate knifemaker who just recieved his Master Smith rate at Blade Show just two weeks ago.

Ambush Master and Team Sergeant both met John at Blade.

RIP Robert, you will not be forgotten.

Doc
06-21-2005, 18:47
Sorry to hear about this Bill.

Doc

Bill Harsey
06-21-2005, 18:48
He and his talent will be missed. It is good to know that there will always be at least a piece of him out there with every knife he ever made. Was it a family show or did they "just" support his hobby? Peregrino
Perigrino, I'm not sure I exactly understand your question but you know me, I'll answer anyway.
Robert would bust his ass to make knives whenever he was home, he made the work pay and that's not easy to do.

Peregrino
06-21-2005, 19:09
Bill - I was just wondering if his family would be continuing production of some of his designs. I didn't know about his brother's honors, wish I had investigated when I saw you at Blade. I met Bob when he first got to 7th Gp. He was that rare combination of competent, respected, and likeable without losing the capacity for mischief. Unfortunately we went different directions a few years later and I'd only seen him a few times in the last 5-6 years. I was aware of his growing reputation as a knifemaker and several mutual friends/acquaintances had recommended I check his work out. Sadly, that is now no longer possible. One more good man lost. As the list grows I spend more time praying the end result will be worth the sacrifice. Time to get a couple of W-M's books. Another family stands bereft and despite some faux pas the Warrior Foundation does do good things. My .02 Peregrino

Bill Harsey
06-21-2005, 19:49
Bill - I was just wondering if his family would be continuing production of some of his designs. I didn't know about his brother's honors, wish I had investigated when I saw you at Blade. I met Bob when he first got to 7th Gp. He was that rare combination of competent, respected, and likeable without losing the capacity for mischief. Unfortunately we went different directions a few years later and I'd only seen him a few times in the last 5-6 years. I was aware of his growing reputation as a knifemaker and several mutual friends/acquaintances had recommended I check his work out. Sadly, that is now no longer possible. One more good man lost. As the list grows I spend more time praying the end result will be worth the sacrifice. Time to get a couple of W-M's books. Another family stands bereft and despite some faux pax the Warrior Foundation does do good things. My .02 Peregrino
Great comments Peregrino.

My guess only is that of course John would probably continue the designs that his twin brother Robert was doing.

As some time goes by I'll be sure to keep up with what John is doing and post it here.

Roguish Lawyer
06-22-2005, 11:59
A memorial fund has been established at the following address:

Bank of America
Robert M. Horrigan Memorial Fund
501 Congress Ave.
Austin, Texas 78701

This fund has been set up to defray funeral expenses and various out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the family. I am told that any extra funds will be forwarded to Fallen Soldiers or other organizations that help our troops in time of need. I am sure that the family will appreciate any help whatsoever.

The Reaper
06-22-2005, 12:15
I have had it with some of the other SOF charities out there and their politics.

The SF Association has a scholarship fund that serves only SF family members, and doesn't seem to have a political agenda. They would be there if needed, I am sure.

Peregrino, I agree with your comments.

Bob made a heck of a knife, was a good soldier, and a great American.

Proud to have served with him, I plan to see him again on the other side.

You will not be forgotten, Sergeant.

TR

The Reaper
06-22-2005, 17:13
I have no knowledge how all this works.

Bill:

The Army will take care of a lot of their immediate expenses, and he may have had SGLI, a military life insurance available at subsidized rates.

They will need another source of income eventually, though if he had the insurance they should be taken care of for now.

This is getting pretty personal, folks, and I think our discussion in this public area is inappropriate.

Let us stick with the title of "tribute", and not the financial arrangements of the bereaved family.

TR

Bill Harsey
06-22-2005, 18:45
Reaper,
Thanks.

Bill Harsey
06-22-2005, 21:47
A lot of this knifemaking is just plain old hard grit eating work.

There are times I'd call Robert to see how he was doing, he'd already put in a full days work being a soldier then he would be out in his shop grinding blades and shaping handles to deliver to his customers.

I'd walk away from the conversation shaking my head, not believing how hard he would work especially in that North Carolina summer "warmth."

Sacamuelas
06-23-2005, 11:37
Just in case those reviewing this thread do not see the other thread.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7282

Roguish Lawyer
06-29-2005, 12:59
Photo and additional information here (http://eliteknives.com/).

Peregrino
06-29-2005, 13:10
Photo and additional information here (http://eliteknives.com/).

Great picture of Bob. Bought a raffle ticket to support the fund at Shooter's Pawn (FBNC) yesterday while I was picking up a new toy. His brother has a nice site - looks a lot like Bob's (wonder why?). Peregrino