PDA

View Full Version : Pack/Hydration

cszakolczai
06-21-2005, 12:34
I probobly missed this and its probobly been answered already, but I just have to ask it. Does anyone know any good packs that have a good amount of empty space along with being camelbak adaptable? I was looking at Kifaru and the Scout, only problem is the price, I guess that the price will be expensive no matter where I look. But overall I am just looking at this for hiking and jogging. So I would really like it to be between the size of the Camelbak HAWG and the motherload with a resonable price. I used to own the HAWG until the airlines lost it along with my luggage, but one thing i found was that when the bladder was in the pack it pushed against my back and made jogging unconfortable.
Thanks for readin,
Chris

Jo Sul
06-21-2005, 14:44
I have a Mule, a HAWG, and a BFM. These pretty much cover my needs.

Razor
06-21-2005, 15:01
You go jogging with a fully packed HAWG? How long (time-wise) do you jog?

cszakolczai
06-21-2005, 22:09
Sir its only about a 3 mile jog, to my local airport. Its not bad at all, the Hawg really can't hold to much and hiking with it, is ok, but as I said it does get in the way. When the Ipod goes on and the music starts I forget about the rest of life and I just go. Just keeping my feet moving to the beat, and listening to audioslave helps me get there in a good time.
Thanks for reading,
Chris

cszakolczai
06-21-2005, 22:12
Sorry forgot time wise, well to the airport its about a mile and half, than its a mile and a half back, the fastest time I did the mile and a half in was about 7mins and 30 seconds. My ex girlfriend made me angry so I ran extra fast and had the music on extra loud. :D
Thanks for readin,
Chris

Razor
06-21-2005, 22:24
I asked, because IMO I think you have at least two different needs; something for running, and something for hiking. Frankly, for a three mile run you probably don't need to bring along water. If you hydrate properly (but not overhydrate) beforehand, you shouldn't need to bring water along until you hit at least 30-45 minutes of constant exercise. As for the proper size for a hiking pack, it'd be helpful to know what you're carrying, how long you hike, and any anticipated activities before/during/after the hike.

cszakolczai
06-22-2005, 09:29
Thats true I don't need the water, but I find that the water adds weight and I am hoping that it will help me strengthen my knees and legs. The hikes aren't to long, but I forgot to mention the camping part. I usually just go camping for 2 or 3 days at the most right now. Do you think the Kifaru SCOUT would be a good choice? Because I read that it can be attached to other packs that I may be carrying.
Thanks for readin,
Chris

The Reaper
06-22-2005, 11:14
I think that you need to quit listening to music via headphones on a short run and get your SA on track before someone runs you over, intentionally, or otherwise.

If you were on sandy trails doing a 12 mile ruck, it might make sense, but not for less than a half hour.

I would not run with any extra weight, We are not going to ask you to do that very often, and it tears your body down, rather than building it up.

Pick up the pace, instead, or work on a kick.

Lots of posts here about running and training, check them out for ideas.

Good luck!

TR

cszakolczai
06-22-2005, 13:57
Alright I will definatly check them out, and thanks for the advice. I am still interested in looking for a pack and I guess at this point I am really interested in the SCOUT. It seems like something I can use for other things also, other than just the hiking. It may sound weird but I tend to travel a lot and I like to use bakpacks as a form of carry on bags, and I am also going to South Carolina, than to New Hampshire and Massachusets and it will be the whole camping/ hiking thing again. So I think the SCOUT right now is the best option.
thanks for readin,
Chris
Oh and TR I won't run to much with the extra weight and i'll loose the headphones and Ipod. thanks again to everyone who responded