PDA

View Full Version : Suspect shot at Seattle Federal Courthouse

Weazle23
06-20-2005, 13:48
http://www.komotv.com/stories/37528.htm

Suspect Shot At Federal Courthouse

June 20, 2005

By KOMO Staff

SEATTLE - Several police officers are on the scene of a shooting in the Seattle downtown Federal Courthouse Building.

Details are still sketchy but police say a man walked who walked in making threats and possibly holding a grenade has been shot.

Officers with guns drawn closed off the building shortly after noon and told bystanders to get out of the line of fire. Jurors told KOMO 4 News that police came in during their lunch break and told them to leave their lunches behind and evacuate the building immediately.

The lower floors of the building were evacuated as police investigate. A member of bomb squad in protective gear was entering the building to check the man for explosives.

Streets in the area of Virginia and Westlake are blocked off.

lksteve
06-20-2005, 14:02
Police say the FBI will investigate

don't i feel better now...i'll bet they put their best CT guys on the case...you know, guys who've read the Director's missive about CT ops...

Pete
06-20-2005, 16:40
http://www.komotv.com/stories/37528.htm

Suspect Shot At Federal Courthouse

Anything wrong with that headline?

How about "Perp shot at Federal Courthouse" or maybe "LEOs may have shot the wrong guy at the Federal Courthouse"

It's kinda' like the car chase you view on the evening news. You see the car running from the police, see it slide off the road and into a tree. The guy driving it staggers out into the arms of the police. The talking head reads off "The suspect was taken into custody".

That "innocent until proved guilty" is only for the courts, not the news and public citizens.

casey
06-20-2005, 16:58
Police say the FBI will investigate

don't i feel better now...i'll bet they put their best CT guys on the case...you know, guys who've read the Director's missive about CT ops...

Word has it they are putting the "work rage" El Al shooting at L.A. X by Hesham Mohamed Hadayet some years back on hold, and in true media parlance as with the BP Refinery Texas City blasts a few months back, have stated while seated at their desks, and nowhere near the scene "its not terrorism, there is no terror connection, we are investigating" and then (with an Obie Wan hand wave optional) "these are not the ones we're looking for".

Just when I had calmed down from this mornings posts... you had to suck me back in brother.

lksteve
06-20-2005, 19:50
Just when I had calmed down from this mornings posts... you had to suck me back in brother.don't suppose it ever occurred to you that i have similar experiences with federal (or is it feral) agencies identified by three letters...? ;)

lessee...FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, USIS...(okay, i can't count)...

casey
06-21-2005, 05:02
don't suppose it ever occurred to you that i have similar experiences with federal (or is it feral) agencies identified by three letters...? ;)

lessee...FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, USIS...(okay, i can't count)...

LOL - Hell, I was bankin' on it !

casey
06-21-2005, 05:06
Slight hijack... The shape of things to come ???

NYPD SPREADING OVERSEAS
By LARRY CELONA June 20, 2005 -- NY POST
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/48652.htm

The NYPD's overseas anti-terrorist unit may soon be expanding with new outposts in Jordan, Australia and Madrid, officials said. Already a global operation with detectives in France, England, Israel, Canada, Singapore and the Dominican Republic, the department best-known for busting crooks from Bayside to Brighton Beach is looking to widen its presence abroad. Officials have been recruiting officers from all ranks for a yearlong commitment to gather intelligence from overseas to help identify terrorist threats and prevent another terrorist attack, sources said.
Qualifications for the popular posts include good investigative and interpersonal skills and foreign language fluency.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has already gotten the green light from officials in Amman, Jordan, and is awaiting official confirmation from authorities in Canberra, Australia, and Madrid, Spain… Under agreements with foreign police departments, the NYPD detectives do not carry guns and are not involved in enforcement. But the relationships they build get them access to coveted information that could help their bosses back home, Browne said. The program has caused a bit of a rift with the FBI, which, on several occasions, received critical information after New York's Finest knew about it.

Smokin Joe
06-21-2005, 05:51
Slight hijack... The shape of things to come ???

NYPD SPREADING OVERSEAS
By LARRY CELONA June 20, 2005 -- NY POST
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/48652.htm

The NYPD's overseas anti-terrorist unit may soon be expanding with new outposts in Jordan, Australia and Madrid, officials said. Already a global operation with detectives in France, England, Israel, Canada, Singapore and the Dominican Republic, the department best-known for busting crooks from Bayside to Brighton Beach is looking to widen its presence abroad. Officials have been recruiting officers from all ranks for a yearlong commitment to gather intelligence from overseas to help identify terrorist threats and prevent another terrorist attack, sources said.
Qualifications for the popular posts include good investigative and interpersonal skills and foreign language fluency.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has already gotten the green light from officials in Amman, Jordan, and is awaiting official confirmation from authorities in Canberra, Australia, and Madrid, Spain… Under agreements with foreign police departments, the NYPD detectives do not carry guns and are not involved in enforcement. But the relationships they build get them access to coveted information that could help their bosses back home, Browne said. The program has caused a bit of a rift with the FBI, which, on several occasions, received critical information after New York's Finest knew about it.

You have got to be kidding me? A city Law Enforcement Agency is now depolying officers over seas. Its bad enough the Fumbling Bumbling Idoits have agents overseas now this. What's next? Is the CIA going to start be pulling CONUS missions. Don't answer that I don't even want to know.

Goggles Pizano
06-21-2005, 08:14
What's next? Is the CIA going to start be pulling CONUS missions. Don't answer that I don't even want to know.

Shhhhhhh! You wanna let out the secret!!! :p

casey
06-21-2005, 09:02
You have got to be kidding me? A city Law Enforcement Agency is now depolying officers over seas. Its bad enough the Fumbling Bumbling Idoits have agents overseas now this. What's next? Is the CIA going to start be pulling CONUS missions. Don't answer that I don't even want to know.

Joe, Don't be so quick to knock this idea - it works well. Remember if NY, LA, Miami, Wash DC, Philadelphia etc were getting ANY real time intel from these guys - (or anywhere) there'd be no need for those Depts to go overseas. I have seen this first hand - Police Officers, especially patrol cops, SWAT, bomb techs etc WILL talk to others of like ilk no matter what country they're from.

NY's Detective in Israel (Morty) gets real time intel from Jerusalem/Tel Aviv and other points in minutes and relays back to his HQ. And that pertinent info is shared within their Department.

A better way to think of this is as a "Local" Departments global trip wire. Or, we can keep to the system now in place - wait until shit happens, and have said agency state "we were investigating this, but couldn't stop it cause we need more money, equipment, personel, and oh yea, all Domestic CT/Intel responsibility.

Some times things work MUCH better at ground level.

Smokin Joe
06-21-2005, 09:29
Joe, Don't be so quick to knock this idea - it works well. Remember if NY, LA, Miami, Wash DC, Philadelphia etc were getting ANY real time intel from these guys - (or anywhere) there'd be no need for those Depts to go overseas. I have seen this first hand - Police Officers, especially patrol cops, SWAT, bomb techs etc WILL talk to others of like ilk no matter what country they're from.

NY's Detective in Israel (Morty) gets real time intel from Jerusalem/Tel Aviv and other points in minutes and relays back to his HQ. And that pertinent info is shared within their Department.

A better way to think of this is as a "Local" Departments global trip wire. Or, we can keep to the system now in place - wait until shit happens, and have said agency state "we were investigating this, but couldn't stop it cause we need more money, equipment, personel, and oh yea, all Domestic CT/Intel responsibility.

Some times things work MUCH better at ground level.

Casey,

You are absolutely correct local cops do share more and better info with each other then the Feds do with the locals. Been There Done That, I defiantly can see the benefits to having "Your Guys" (figuratively speaking) out in the slums getting good intel then passing it along to the home team. I don’t have a problem with that.

My problem is that we have Federal Law Enforcement Agencies that should be out there doing that and getting the message back to the locals.....but due to misguided management and political pissing matches this job is not being accomplished. So the locals have to take on the responsibility to do the job the Feds should already have covered.

It just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that the Feds are following POTUS post 9/11 “You will share intel” directive. :rolleyes:

At least the local guys are recognizing this and doing something about it.