PDA

View Full Version : F1 at Indy

QRQ 30
06-19-2005, 11:30
It seems that Michelin won't guarentee its tires at Indy.

1. They have asked Indy/FIA to slow down turn 13. Ans: NO! I understand.

2. Michelin shipped in new tires overnight and requested they replace the others. FIA said no!! WTF. Don't the drivers deserve to be safe.

Right now only two drivers are on the starting grid - those sporting Bridgestone. The resat of the drivers are demanding a chicane be installed at turn 13.

Will there be a race!!!

IIRC CHAMP or IRL cars refused to race at Texas until the track was slowed down. They were blacking out from the G's.

QRQ 30
06-19-2005, 12:03
What a shame. 300,000+ race fans paid to see 6 cars race. All FIA had to do was install a few cones or other barriers to create a chicane and they refused.

Bill Harsey
06-19-2005, 12:26
Isn't Michelin Phrench?

QRQ 30
06-19-2005, 13:02
Actually Michelin USA is based right here in Greenville. There is too much politics in volved to fathom. OTOH you would think that since FIA is the sanctioning body they would favor Michelin rather than a Japanese/US company Bridgestone/Firestone.

My take is that the teams could have raced. The FIA rules state they must qualify and race on the same set of tires or be penalized. Since 14 were on Michelins they could have changed to the new tires Michelin shiped in and all would have gone to the end of the starting grid. No big thing and they could have raced.

The losers are the 300+K fans and probably the future of F1 in the States.

Squidly
06-28-2005, 21:09
The reverse at Monte Carlo for the tires. Michelin won and Bridgestone had issues. Not safety issues but I think that the Bridgestone compound was too hard for qualifying leaving Schumacher and the rest of the Bridgestone guys at the back of the pack at the start.

Huey14
06-28-2005, 21:39
What a shame. 300,000+ race fans paid to see 6 cars race. All FIA had to do was install a few cones or other barriers to create a chicane and they refused.

And rightfully so. To add in a corner that noone has practised on would be tantamount to manslaughter should someone collide and die there (and there would have been a huge chance of a collision).

Sacamuelas
06-29-2005, 09:13
This is what really gets me about "professional" racing.... if these guys are such highly skilled "professionals"... then why in the hell do we need to put in cones, chicanes, restrictor plates, smaller wings, etc on the cars to slow them down???

I don't need that crap on my car to know when to accelerate and how much to slow down to make it through a turn... :confused:

True "Professional"Drivers should be able to decide their own safe speed and maintain control over their car at that speed. :rolleyes: :mad: My god, what does this action say about these jackasses... that they aren't smart enough and professional enough to know how to maintain a safe speed???

I hope their fan following and sponsorship dwindles to nothing for this stunt.
That's a pretty good point. Don't our NASCAR and Busch Series drivers have to judge tire wear and adjust speeds into the turns accordingly all day long?

Any other fallout from this besides around here?

QRQ 30
06-29-2005, 09:29
The drivers wanted to drive. The teams refused. The drivers are paid big bucks by the teams and have no choice but to follow orders, even if it means letting your partner win. There is much politics involved including FIA only sanctioning one tire next year.

There were many options available including using the new tires provided by Michelin and starting at the back of the pack. No big deal considering all but six would have been put back.

I agree with FIA's decision in that it wouldn't be fair to penalize the teams that got it right.

OTOH there is some talk of Firestone feeding some info to Bridgestone concerning tire wear during the Indy 500.

And yes they could slow down while the Bridgestones motored away at full speed. What true competitor can do that?

Sacamuelas
06-29-2005, 09:38
And yes they could slow down while the Bridgestones motored away at full speed. What true competitor can do that?
I really don't know and REALLY don't care about the politics. They are professional racers... 7th place is better than DNF. I guess the best thing to do was pout and "quit" and take their toys home with them... those fans must not deserve any better from the IRL, and IRL got the money for the tickets before they pulled their little stunt anyway. :rolleyes:

Again, I hope stunts like this will one day have the repurcussions they deserve from the people.

Bill Harsey
06-29-2005, 09:39
This is what really gets me about "professional" racing.... if these guys are such highly skilled "professionals"... then why in the hell do we need to put in cones, chicanes, restrictor plates, smaller wings, etc on the cars to slow them down???

I don't need that crap on my car to know when to accelerate and how much to slow down to make it through a turn... :confused:

True "Professional"Drivers should be able to decide their own safe speed and maintain control over their car at that speed. :rolleyes: :mad: My god, what does this action say about these jackasses... that they aren't smart enough and professional enough to know how to maintain a safe speed???

I hope their fan following and sponsorship dwindles to nothing for this stunt.
That's a pretty good point. Don't our NASCAR and Busch Series drivers have to judge tire wear and adjust speeds into the turns accordingly all day long?

Any other fallout from this besides around here?
SORRY SORRY SORRY!!!!! I pushed the wrong button to respond, I wanted to hit QUOTE!!! shit, how do i fix this...

QRQ 30
06-29-2005, 09:47
I really don't know and REALLY don't care about the politics. They are professional racers... 7th place is better than DNF. I guess the best thing to do was pout and "quit" and take their toys home with them... those fans must not deserve any better from the IRL, and IRL got the money for the tickets before they pulled their little stunt anyway. :rolleyes:

Again, I hope stunts like this will one day have the repurcussions they deserve from the people.

Again, you are blaming the drivers. Believe me they had no say in this matter and wanted to drive. There are drivers who finish last or next to last in every race. There are drivers like Jimmy Spencer who will race anything, anytime, anywhere just for the fun of it

Huey14
06-29-2005, 18:57
The drivers do what the Team Boss says or there's trouble. End of story.