PDA

View Full Version : Redneck Grill Repair

Peregrino
06-15-2005, 20:39
OK Guys - My turn to ask for advice. I just purchased a new CharBroil Commercial Stainless Gas Grill. It worked wonderfully for the first week. When I lit it tonight it would not heat up - the burners would just barely stay lit. I ruined two good steaks screwing with it not to mention pissing off the wife (she expects perfection - something I can usually deliver) which really made my evening. It's not the gas cylinder - I tried two different ones, both full. I think it might be that D**n Acme screw regulator not opening the valve completely, I've had that problem on other grills. Does anybody have any other ideas before I resort to violence and the instruction book? This is something a suitable application of testosterone and alcohol should be able to fix. If not - Lowes gets their grill back! :mad: Peregrino

Roguish Lawyer
06-15-2005, 20:42
OK Guys - My turn to ask for advice. I just purchased a new CharBroil Commercial Stainless Gas Grill. It worked wonderfully for the first week. When I lit it tonight it would not heat up - the burners would just barely stay lit. I ruined two good steaks screwing with it not to mention pissing off the wife (she expects perfection - something I can usually deliver) which really made my evening. It's not the gas cylinder - I tried two different ones, both full. I think it might be that D**n Acme screw regulator not opening the valve completely, I've had that problem on other grills. Does anybody have any other ideas before I resort to violence and the instruction book? This is something a suitable application of testosterone and alcohol should be able to fix. If not - Lowes gets their grill back! :mad: Peregrino

Is there a leak?

Peregrino
06-15-2005, 20:54
Is there a leak?

Don't think so. No odor or hissing noises as long as the burners are lit. I'll snoop it in the morning to make sure though. P

Squidly
06-16-2005, 05:07
Check the regulator/orifice (if it has one)/hose for blockage. I would think you would have to have a pretty significant leak for the bottle not to deliver enough gas for a fire. The malfunctioning regulator idea is a good one also since it is the only component with moving parts between the bottle isolation valve and the burner controls. All burner controls function the same?

ElRog
06-16-2005, 11:58
I've gone Gas and haven't looked back. I bought my first Gas Grill at a Garage sale for $5.00 (With Tank). Only on Special occasions would I fire up the Weber. I even had they special grill that would open up to add new chacoal. My buddy would bring me Miquite from texas to supplement it. I finally gave it to my old neigbor when I moved into the new house. My wife saw how much that hurt for me to do. I chucked the old gas grill.
I bought a new, top of the line gas grill from lowes. My wife probally uses it 3 times a week while I enjoy KBR food.

At Firebase Gecko my CDR built a Giant grill/Oven. I backed off the project after the first one that was biult was tore down to move it 15 feet. That and the fact that I could not convince anyone that burgers cooked over 2 x 4s tastes like 2 x 4s. I am sure someone finally got a good supply of charcoal. I hope they are enjoying it.

QRQ 30
06-16-2005, 12:47
Eat your hearts out folks: :lifter

Tech point. Grilling is done quickly and gas or charcoal work equally well. Now if you are talking smokeing or BBQ you can't beat charcoal or even wood.

jbour13
06-16-2005, 12:55
Heart eaten....now I hate you for making me drool thinking of BBQ :D

One day,.... one day I'll have a nice smoker to cure animal flesh to my tasting desires.

The Reaper
06-16-2005, 13:53

The safety on the gas tank valve-hose connector is keeping the tank from releasing sufficient gas to make a good fire.

The connector needs to be screwed in hard, as far as it will go.

If it still does not feed sufficient gas, get a washer (one out of a water hose should work) and put it into the tank orifice and screw the connector in again.

That should disengage the safety enough to let the gas flow. Make sure there are no leaks.

HTH.

TR

Peregrino
06-16-2005, 16:04
My thanks to all who contributed. TR's comment guided me in the right direction and we now have a functioning grill. This properly belongs in the redneck engineering section though. I removed the regulator, added a silicone O-ring from my "save a dive" kit, reinstalled the regulator, and it fired right up. I didn't notice if it had one originally or not (probably, and it fell off while changing cylinders) but adding it opened the valve enough to work. To celebrate, I'm taking the wife out to dinner as soon as I get off here. :D Later - Peregrino

Roguish Lawyer
06-16-2005, 16:14
This properly belongs in the redneck engineering section though.

:lifter

The Reaper
06-16-2005, 16:16
It can damn sure save a cookout.

Only happens on the new "safety" regulators.

TR

Smokin Joe
06-16-2005, 16:30
Before I mainlined my grill to natural gas. My propane grill always got some sort of vapor lock. It did the same thing your talking about, to fix it I just unscrewed the line from the grill then re-screwed it on. Fixed it everytime.

YMMV

Bill Harsey
06-16-2005, 18:47
If we're checking for gas leaks around the knifemaking forge we always put in the ear plugs first before striking the matches to see what's wrong.

Roguish Lawyer
06-16-2005, 19:04
If we're checking for gas leaks around the knifemaking forge we always put in the ear plugs first before striking the matches to see what's wrong.

Safety first in the Harsey shop! :D

Peregrino
06-16-2005, 20:38
It can damn sure save a cookout.

Only happens on the new "safety" regulators.

TR

I'm strongly tempted to salvage the nipple off the old grill and put it on the new regulator. (Though there's probably some kind of regulation against that. :( ) I 've never had a problem with the old regulators - just so long as I could find a wrench. A couple licks with a 12" crescent wrench will fix most problems. :D Again thanks - Peregrino

Team Sergeant
06-16-2005, 20:52
I had a problem like this a few years back. Came back from a deployment and the damn grill would not ignite. Checked everything twice, could even smell the propane but would not light. Set a match to the burners, they lit but with very small flame.
Then I started looking for a clog and found a big ole spider lodged in the area where gas meets air and turns to flame.
Removed and placed the now cooked spider on my buddies plate (under his steak), finished cooking the steaks without further problem.

12B4S
06-17-2005, 03:29
Yep, spiders can jazz up a gas grill, especially here in AZ. They get into and set up houskeeping in the Venturi tubes. Thinking your buddy will always remember that. :D

Air.177
06-17-2005, 15:25
You wouldn'y have these issues if you used Charcoal. Our Weber has never had any issues with "Safety Regulators" or any other plumbing. Go Charcoal, Get in touch with your inner caveman.

12B4S
06-17-2005, 23:34
LOL Air. This is true. I had both. The gas grill being quick and convenient. The Weber for when I wanted to take the time. Charcoal sears beef better and is better tasting.
Of course that last statement has the capability of openning a can of worms. Almost like along the lines of 9mm vs .45.

Peregrino
06-18-2005, 17:35
12B4S - Personally, I think you're absolutely right. Charcoal is much better for flavor, it's just a royal hassle when you're in a hurry. I enjoy campfire cooking and use charcoal almost exclusively with the dutch ovens. Saves time and effort maintaining a proper cooking fire. That said - I'm doing steaks tonight on the gas grill (now that it's fixed). We'll have to see how the "redneck repair" holds up. Later - Peregrino

12B4S
06-22-2005, 23:39
Hope those steaks came out ok, Peregrino.

Doc
07-26-2005, 19:18
Charcoal.

While your waiting for it to get ready, you can have a cold drink or three.

I'm about to buy another gas grill for the ease of cooking and because I'm the only one in the neighborhood that doesn't have one.

You want to see a bunch of yankees get excited? Fire up a charcoal grill when there's half a foot of snow on the ground. They're looking out the window with cell phones in their hands calling the FD. Last time it snowed I had to feed the entire FD Shift.

I also like to speak in a real slow southern drawl when I talk to my neighbors. They ask me what I think of living here and I tell them they all talk funny.

Grilling is best accomplished by those that grew up in the south. Don't ask me why, it's just the honest truth.

:D

lksteve
07-26-2005, 19:23
Charcoal.You want to see a bunch of yankees get excited? Fire up a charcoal grill when there's half a foot of snow on the ground. They're looking out the window with cell phones in their hands calling the FD. Last time it snowed I had to feed the entire FD Shift. this is true...gas grills will not fire up at -30°F...i know...when i was at Wainwright we used to see who would continue to grill outside beyond reasonable extremes...gas grills don't like -30...one of my cohorts used to take his gas canister inside...

I also like to speak in a real slow southern drawl when I talk to my neighbors. They ask me what I think of living here and I tell them they all talk funny.my drawl gets more pronounced with a beer or three, as well...

CPTAUSRET
07-26-2005, 22:10
Charcoal.

While your waiting for it to get ready, you can have a cold drink or three.

I'm about to buy another gas grill for the ease of cooking and because I'm the only one in the neighborhood that doesn't have one.

You want to see a bunch of yankees get excited? Fire up a charcoal grill when there's half a foot of snow on the ground. They're looking out the window with cell phones in their hands calling the FD. Last time it snowed I had to feed the entire FD Shift.

I also like to speak in a real slow southern drawl when I talk to my neighbors. They ask me what I think of living here and I tell them they all talk funny.

Grilling is best accomplished by those that grew up in the south. Don't ask me why, it's just the honest truth.

:D

Doc:

If'n I get Nancy slowed down long enough to come pay you a visit, are you going to fire up that grill??

Terry

Doc
07-27-2005, 16:55
Doc:

If'n I get Nancy slowed down long enough to come pay you a visit, are you going to fire up that grill??

Terry

You guys are welcome at my house anytime you want to visit. I'll even fire up the grill and chill the beer.

Doc

CPTAUSRET
07-27-2005, 20:43
You guys are welcome at my house anytime you want to visit. I'll even fire up the grill and chill the beer.

Doc

Sounds like an offer I can't refuse.

Working on it.

Terry

jatx
07-28-2005, 07:30

Doc,

That old "talk slow/think fast" trick is getting harder for us Texans to pull off since we took over the Nation's capitol. I think the Yankees are on to us... :lifter

(Remembering that you're a Lone Star expat, right?)

Doc
07-28-2005, 18:00
Doc,

That old "talk slow/think fast" trick is getting harder for us Texans to pull off since we took over the Nation's capitol. I think the Yankees are on to us... :lifter

(Remembering that you're a Lone Star expat, right?)

Correctamundo. Born in Houston.

Southerners are still a novelty here. Use a southern phrase or two and they laugh like hell. It's really funny after a beer or three. They don't know what to think.

Doc

12B4S
07-29-2005, 02:39
That'll make for a great BBQ Doc. Damn after my first year in the Army I had a 'southern' accent.... and I was from a 'burb just north of Chicago. :D