PDA

View Full Version : Compact ACOG Opinions

Smokin Joe
06-16-2005, 15:39
I'm considering this Compact ACOG the TA50R-2 (http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=209)

I had a TAO1NSN so I am familiar with an ACOG series but I have not experienced the Bindon Aiming Concept. When I sold my TAO1NSN I started looking for a replacement. I was intially drawn to the TA31F and the TA11F. However, some of TR's comments in other threads made me a little concerned about going with the TA31 series and the TA11 series (the comments are specifically about eye relief...see provided links for more info).
TA11 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5525&highlight=Ta11)
TA11 # 2 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2997&highlight=Ta11)
TA31 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=106052)

Being that I am familar with the concept of BAC (but have never had the equipment to experience it) I went digging around Trijicon today and found this: Bindon Aiming Concept (http://www.trijicon.com/aiming.cfm) Click the flash video at the bottom of the page for a great explaination.

After our last shooting (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6891) I have managed to change some minds about our rifle optics and what we should be allowing our guys to use. Being a rural county it is not unheard of for us to address threats at 75m to 150m so that is why I started looking at the Compact ACOG's (instead of the standard ACOG's).

The optic will be used for ranges between 15m-150m.

My questions are:

Is this an acceptable sight for these ranges and in potentially dynamic situations that may occur at social distances?
Is this optic a good fit for our/ my needs?

I welcome and appericate any feed back on this.

(And lastly, I hope this makes sense to you guys, if not, I apologize I have been up for about 29hrs right now and my proof reading and thought organizations skills are firing on all cylinders. :boohoo)

P.S. Peregrino, I found a smokin deal on these if you want the info PM me.

The Reaper
06-16-2005, 16:10
Eye relief on the TA-11 is not a problem.

The TA-31 is a bit shorter.

I prefer the full sized ACOGs for serious work, with the donut or chevron reticle. Avoid the triangle reticle.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Smokin Joe
06-16-2005, 16:21
.... Avoid the triangle reticle.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Wow, that was fast thank you Sir.

I agree with you I like the chevron's and donuts too. But I'm wondering if the TA11 series would be to much glass? Engagements shouldn't (god help me) be past 150m. (I need to fix my original post)

Also the compacts only come in dot, Cross hair, and triangle. :(

Peregrino
06-16-2005, 20:22
SJ - Based on extensive conversations with TR, a lengthy discussion with the manager of Trijicon's Military/Fed LEO Sales Division and my intended use, I'm looking at a TA11 probably with the chevron. My only real experience with the ACOG has been limited to the TA01NSN and fondling other people's toys. I had my initial doubts but the experts have convinced me. Bottom line - I'm planning on putting it on an FN and I need the eye relief. The rifle is large enough that the size of the optic is not an issue. Everything else meets the requirement perfectly. The BAC isn't a big deal. It's really not that different from using a red dot sight with both eyes open (something I think you should be doing anyway). I'm looking forward to putting together this rifle/optic combo - ought to make an incredible truck gun! ;) FWIW - Peregrino

Smokin Joe
06-16-2005, 22:36
It's really not that different from using a red dot sight with both eyes open (something I think you should be doing anyway). I'm looking forward to putting together this rifle/optic combo - ought to make an incredible truck gun! ;) FWIW - Peregrino

Thanks for the responses Gentlemen....its very much appericated.

I agree that should be a great truck gun.

I am currently shooting both eyes open with my pistol, shotgun, and Aimpoint sighted AR. Only time I close my weak eye is if I'm using a standard cross hair scope or if I'm using irons on an AR and taking a long shot (in excess of 100m).

Anyone else have an opinion on the compact ACOG's?

bk1133
06-17-2005, 08:12
I personally like the TA31F, though I'm not shooting like you guys potentially have to. I also prefer the chevron over the others, my own has a donut. What type of weapon are you putting it on?

Smokin Joe
06-17-2005, 10:06
I personally like the TA31F, though I'm not shooting like you guys potentially have to. I also prefer the chevron over the others, my own has a donut. What type of weapon are you putting it on?

AR-15 with a 14.5 inch barrel and collapsible stock.

Shooting will be done with body armor on.

Smokin Joe
06-21-2005, 09:12
After careful consideration I have shit canned the Compact ACOG idea and I just ordered a TA11F. :lifter

Peregrino
06-21-2005, 10:07
After careful consideration I have shit canned the Compact ACOG idea and I just ordered a TA11F. :lifter

SJ - My turn to ask a dumb question. Since you're putting it on an AR why the TA11F? Why not the TA31F? The shorter eye relief on the TA31 (1.5" vs. 2.4") means you don't have to mount it as far forward as you would the TA11. That might be important, especially shooting with body armor on and the stock partially collapsed. Inquiring minds, etc. - Peregrino

Smokin Joe
06-21-2005, 11:05
SJ - My turn to ask a dumb question. Since you're putting it on an AR why the TA11F? Why not the TA31F? The shorter eye relief on the TA31 (1.5" vs. 2.4") means you don't have to mount it as far forward as you would the TA11. That might be important, especially shooting with body armor on and the stock partially collapsed. Inquiring minds, etc. - Peregrino

I had a TA01NSN and the eye relief kind of bugged me, being that the TA31 and the TA01NSN have the same eye relief I figured that the TA31 would bug me as well. So I thought to try the TA11. If I find the TA11's eye releif to be worse (or bug me more) I can exchange it for the TA31.

Being that I'm the only guy I know who has or is getting one of these in the near future. I'm kind at a lose for trying them out and seeing which one better suits my needs. Plus the company I ordered from is great when it comes to customer service, they are a no hassles company and they have several of both scopes in stock.

Peregrino
06-21-2005, 12:13
Semper Gumby. :D Let us know how it works out. Peregrino

Smokin Joe
06-22-2005, 02:08
Semper Gumby. :D Let us know how it works out. Peregrino
LOL....Semper Gumby....that's good.

I will let you know what I think.

Air.177
06-22-2005, 07:21
Damn Joe, Goin to Hawaii, Buying Acogs, guess those Kydex holsters are really paying off for you :munchin

Smokin Joe
06-22-2005, 08:28
Damn Joe, Goin to Hawaii, Buying Acogs, guess those Kydex holsters are really paying off for you :munchin

ROTFLMMFAO.

I haven't sold one, not like I would intentionally sell any of my ugly-assed creations, compared to what kind of talent others have. Nope, not me, I let the pro's do the selling I just acquired a hobby that saves me money. :cool:

Hawaii is almost the perfect trip (for me) because the wife's work is paying for everything but my ticket and food.

ACOG well it's only costing me an additional 300 after I sold my TA01NSN.

So, ya life is good....well, except that my boss is a dick, but that doesn't really matter because HE doesn't really matter. :D

Razor
06-22-2005, 09:08
...well, except that my boss is a dick, but that doesn't really matter because...

...I'm going to TASE him the next time he gives me any shit. :D

Smokin Joe
06-23-2005, 01:45
...I'm going to TASE him the next time he gives me any shit. :D

LOL, in a perfect world. :D

lurp
06-23-2005, 04:34
ROTFLMMFAO.

ACOG well it's only costing me an additional 300 after I sold my TA01NSN.

. :D

Have you sold it yet? I'm interessted in one. Please Pm me if you want to sell? :)

***MOD edit to add- AND YOU CAN'T HAVE MY NEW AIMPOINT FROM JOE EITHER!!! ;) LOL
-Saca

Smokin Joe
06-23-2005, 05:54
Have you sold it yet? I'm interessted in one. Please Pm me if you want to sell? :)

Sold it about 3 weeks ago....

BTW,

I had the oppotrunity to look at the new TA31RCO-M4 tonight. Pretty cool sight. BAC works (for me) and its friggin cool. I don't think I will need my aimpoint after I get my TA11F (or TA31F if I go that way).

Sacamuelas
06-23-2005, 06:55
Smokin'-

Is it a comp M or comp ML? What do you want for it and the mount you bought last year? :munchin PM if you don't want to discuss it publicly. :cool:

Smokin Joe
06-23-2005, 08:38
Smokin'-

Is it a comp M or comp ML? What do you want for it and the mount you bought last year? :munchin PM if you don't want to discuss it publicly. :cool:

Holy crap Tooth-Man,

I was just speculating...but if I do sell it you got first dibs.

It is a Comp M2 with a PRI mount and yes its the one that I got last year and snapped the torque off in. :lifter

Peregrino
06-23-2005, 08:47
Gotta stay on your toes around here! Especially since the guy that got your TA01NSN got such a good deal. :D Peregrino

The Reaper
06-23-2005, 09:27

Illegal to sell outside the US without an export license.

TR

Smokin Joe
06-23-2005, 11:30

***MOD edit to add- AND YOU CAN'T HAVE MY NEW AIMPOINT FROM JOE EITHER!!! ;) LOL
-Saca

LOL Saca,

I didn't know you took tips from RL (the Land Shark).

lurp
06-23-2005, 16:07
Illegal to sell outside the US without an export license.

TR

I did not know that sir.. Thanks, (I must google a bit about it :confused: )

Saca:Hehehe.. I already got a Aimpoint ;)

-Stick to topic from know on, sorry.-

Smokin Joe
06-30-2005, 18:24
In keeping with the Semper Gumbi philosophy I got the TA31F after all (and at a much better price :D )

Oh BTW.......The Eagle Has Landed; I say again THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. :lifter

Range time is scheduled for tomorrow. I will snap some pics then.

Gotta go.

The Reaper
06-30-2005, 18:46
In keeping with the Semper Gumbi philosophy I got the TA31F after all (and at a much better price :D )

Oh BTW.......The Eagle Has Landed; I say again THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. :lifter

Range time is scheduled for tomorrow. I will snap some pics then.

Gotta go.

So, what do you think so far? :munchin

TR

Smokin Joe
06-30-2005, 22:21
So, what do you think so far? :munchin

TR

It is great! Thank you for the recommendation. I can't wait to shoot with it in varying light conditions. I'm can't even articulate how impressed I am with it.

The Reaper
06-30-2005, 22:43
Mount it further forward than you normally would, as far forward on the upper receiver rail as it will go.

Practice scanning with both eyes open, focused on the target area, not the reticle. The reticle should look like a dot floating out front.

When you stop with the reticle near the target, look through the optic. The BAC effect should make it look like the optic just zoomed in on the target and the reticle should be clear.

It usually takes a couple of hours for your eye to learn the trick. Some people just can't get it.

Best trick with the ACOG is to walk from a bright day into a dark room, or vice versa with a couple of different optics, and see how fast you can transition and get guns up on a target. I think you will be surprised how much faster the ACOG is. No turning knobs to brighten up or turn down the brightness. No reticle washout against the background of the target. No worry about whether your battery is GTG or not.

HTH.

TR

Polar Bear 4/31
12-26-2005, 02:46
Does anyone know the proper way to zero the ta-11 at 25 M? Which part of the doughnut do you use? The Trijicon website does not have an online manual.
I put this here because it really doesn't deserve it's own thread. Thank you in advance for any info you could give.