PDA

View Full Version : SMILIES

QRQ 30
06-14-2005, 15:14
When I got ip this a.m. I seem to have misplaced my brain. Alomg with it I lost my ability to post smilies ev en though my profile says I may and they are activated. Can someone help ----- with the smilies, the brain is a total loss.

:boohoo :D :lifter

Martin
06-15-2005, 03:37
Sir, emoticons can either be typed in manually by the code that represents each, or by the smiley list to the right of the editing window. If that list may have disappeared, go to your User Control Panel -> Edit Options, and scoll to the bottom of the page, under Miscellaneous Options is the Message Editor selection, make sure this is set to "Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls".

To type in each manually, try these:
:)
:rolleyes:
:cool:
:munchin:
:p
:lifter
;)
:boohoo
:D
:confused:
:o
:eek:
:(
:mad:

QRQ 30
06-15-2005, 06:39
I have all of the prescribed settings.

The pictures are on the left column but nothing happens.

If I type them in :) like this, let's see. They work. I used to just click on a smiley.

I think it is a pooter thing. A few other strange things are also happening.

Martin
06-15-2005, 06:48
Like what?

QRQ 30
06-15-2005, 07:39
Like what?

I have a couple of Links than now say "Page not found". One in particular was an icon I have at the bottom of my screen to alert me to incoming mail. When I click on it is says "Page not Found".

Martin
06-15-2005, 07:53
Unless the browser has a problem interpreting the links, HTTP reponse 404 (Page not found) is a server side issue.

Some websites use JavaScript for links, as well as the inserting of emoticons in the text window here. If it is disabled, those functions will not work.

For Mozilla Firefox, click Edit -> Preferences -> Web Features -> Enable JavaScript.

For Internet Explorer, Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level. Scroll down to find the Scripting section. Enable Active Scripting, Allow Paste Operations Via Script and Scripting of Java Applets.

If you in IE has conciously set a higher security level, you can allow specific sites to bypass it by clicking on the "Trusted Sites" icon under the Security section in Internet Options, and pressing the "Sites..." button.

I am not a Windows expert, however, so other possibilities might be expressed by Kyo and others.

A favorite tip is always to use Windows Update. :)

QRQ 30
06-15-2005, 09:09
SOS. I have a site bookmarked and it comes up with a blank picture and says rt click and view image. I do so and get an Alert: The fine (big long name) cannot be found. Please check location and try again. In Firefos, the Java Script is activated.

The above was a game guide I had bookmarked. I'm going back and load from scratch, perhaps that will work.

My smiley problem started Sunday whrn I had to log back in with password. I had done something with some Web memore but what beats the stuff out of me.

QRQ 30
06-15-2005, 09:19
:o :eek: :(

The above worked. Apparently my bookmarks were corrupted. Thanks for the help. I am using IE right now but it worked on Mozilla too. I had PS.com as my opening page.

Dan
06-15-2005, 10:03
You probably have some malware/spyware having fun on your system. Look in this forum for topics on how to check your self and get cleaned up.