PDA

View Full Version : What song(s) bring back the most memories...

MAB32
06-05-2005, 19:51
Was listeneing to the radio this morning and they were playing allot of "Oldies". A few of the songs that they played really struck home however. These three songs defined the era in which I had the most fun as a kid along with the 12 other kids that lived on my block also. In fact like historic events, I can tell you where I was when I fist heard them. They are:

"Draggin The Line" BY Tommy James and The Shodales
"There Coming To Take Me Away" By Napoleon IV
"For What it worth" By Buffalo Springfield

I am hoping we can start a thread with everbodys favorites when we were kids and/or those songs that defined a moment in War. These songs would be those that when you hear them they bring you back to those days almost immediately, good or bad. :munchin

lksteve
06-05-2005, 20:08
Lynn Anderson singing "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" (Phase I...gotta love that sense of humor)...
CCR "Run through the Jungle" (Denmark...no jungle, but a lot of running...and Phase III, thanks to the boys from the 82nd)
Warren Zevon "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" (Bad Toelz...along with some bad craziness, including picking up furniture lying under the window to the teamroom with a hangover)
Wagner "Ride of the Valkyrie " (Somalia...and one strange loudspeaker team)
Steppenwolf "Snowblind Friend" (Phase II)
and of course, Barry Sadler "The Ballad of the Green Berets" (Phase I...you ain't sang that song 'til you've sung it while doing push-ups...)

the Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter", while attending one of those schools and rooming with a guy from the 4th POG...strange bird, with a twisted genius...
Steve Earle, "Copperhead Road" (Somalia)

i could go on...some songs bring up some pretty strong memories...

and of course, ZZ Top, "LaGrange" (85 in a 65 warning ticket, Susanville CA :p )

Manstein
06-05-2005, 21:07
So much of the music I remember as a child was the stuff my dad made us listen to as a family when we went on various vacations in that hideous looking Toyota Van from the 80's.

Hall and Oates - I can't go for that, man eater, private eyes, rich girl. All their greatest hits pretty much (great band imo :P )

Billy Joel - Uptown Girl (I always think of my dad driving my sister's and I to soccer practice as children when I hear this song)

There are plenty of other bands we listened to on those long drives. Mister Mister, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, and Heart to name a few...

For some odd reason I associate the flash in the pan "Ace of Base", with my first year of football. My sister had just gotten the cassette and insisted on listening to it every single day in the car. Not exactly good music to pump you up for Oklahoma drills...

danjam
06-06-2005, 01:50
Seppenwolf - Born to be wild ... singing this with some mates opening up roads in Lebanon ...

Bill Joyner
06-06-2005, 11:25
Nazarath - Hair of the Dog. Reminds me of being in the jungle in Panama.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-06-2005, 11:45
Harbor Lights, brings back many memories for me. (Shipping out to Korea) Also proposing to my first wife on the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton, WA :munchin

Airbornelawyer
06-06-2005, 14:06
Chaka Khan, "I Feel for You".

brewmonkey
06-06-2005, 16:31
Chaka Khan, "I Feel for You".

:p

Airbornelawyer
06-06-2005, 17:47
It actually does take me back. Songs I like, I hear more often and don't associate with a particular time and place. That one, plus "Material Girl" by Madonna, are pretty much stuck in late 1984-early 1985, my senior year of high school, and hearing them inevitably takes me back there.

As for "those songs that defined a moment in War," I was going to mention how "Paint it Black" by the Stones always took me back to the 'Nam, but then I realized I was having flashbacks to "Tour of Duty." :cool:

MAB32
06-06-2005, 18:15
Anybody else care to chime in?

Please Note:

I accidentally misspelled "There" in my last post, it should be "Their". Any inconveniences this may have caused is purely, well, accidental. :eek: In the late 60's we had a family up the street that was just a little crazy. They would sleep most of the day and come out at night. They kinda were like the "Cloepecks" in The Burbs. We thought that by playing that song on our little "suitcase" record players would keep them from chopping us up, or something like that.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
06-06-2005, 19:06
1948- Welcome Sweet Spring Time: I had to sing it in my first grade play to the little girl who became my wife in 1964.

Jack Moroney

504PIR
06-06-2005, 22:13
Hummm...

Radar Love by Golden Earring from a night road march in Saudi, for some reason I kept singing it in my head.

AC/DC's Highway to Hell reminds of the BIAP road trips used to make.

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner by Warren Zevon. Me & Tommy Carter (may he RIP) got drunk as hell on couple of bottles of Rum the night before he was flying to Liberia for a contract. His wife told me,"God$%^^ it, Tommy has to fly to Africa in the morning...you two need to call it a night." We listened to that song about a hundred times that night.

Garth Brooks Friends in Low Places. Mountain Phase, had a kid from Mass. that had never heard it. Nobody in the sqd could believe he had never heard it.

brownapple
06-07-2005, 05:38
Warren Zevon - "Lawyers, Guns and Money" - sung by an ODA in an MC-130 during a NOE flight before leaving the aircraft at 700 feet AGL

MAB32
06-07-2005, 15:43
"For What Its Worth" was airplayed to death through the entire war years starting form 67 on. I first heard it while sitting on the front lawn with friends and allot of neighbors during the riots here. My neighbor, a Korean War vet was playing it loud on his record player. Still couldn't figure out why though the NG was talking to the neighbors and my parents about some kind of curfew. :confused:

vsvo
06-08-2005, 12:39
That one, plus "Material Girl" by Madonna, are pretty much stuck in late 1984-early 1985, my senior year of high school, and hearing them inevitably takes me back there.

"Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds reminds me of high school. That and "We Belong" by Pat Benatar. There was a dude on the bus that would sing the chorus in a high-pitched squeal when the song came on every morning on the ride in.

Molly Ringwald is thinking about making a "Sixteen Candles" sequel. :eek:

Roguish Lawyer
06-08-2005, 13:16
Molly Ringwald is thinking about making a "Sixteen Candles" sequel. :eek:

Dong! Where is my automobile?

Auto-mo-biiile?

vsvo
06-08-2005, 14:17
Dong! Where is my automobile?

Auto-mo-biiile?
Whaaas happenin', hot stuff?

MAB32
06-08-2005, 14:35
And "Daggin The Line" was "THE" song for us in the summer of 1971. We had allot of fun that summer and I will never ever forget.

Airbornelawyer
06-08-2005, 15:30
And "Daggin The Line" was "THE" song for us in the summer of 1971. We had allot of fun that summer and I will never ever forget.I remember absolutely nothing from the summer of 1971. I vaguely recall going with my mom to pick up my older brother from 1st grade, but that would have been late '71 or early '72. I couldn't tell time, but I knew where the hands had to be on the clock for it to be time to pick him up.

I'm fairly certain that for me "THE" song around then would have been something by The Chipmunks.

lksteve
06-08-2005, 17:18
And "Daggin The Line" was "THE" song for us in the summer of 1971. We had allot of fun that summer and I will never ever forget.any song with the line "hugging a tree when we get near it" isn' going to go over very well with me....

hoot72
04-23-2008, 05:16
I don't know if this an appropriate part of the forums to post this but I ran into a old tv show with Barry Sadler singing the green berets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_u-V4pWAM&feature=related

Its a you tube link. Mods, please do delete if this has been posted before..

cheers

Penn
04-23-2008, 06:30
Dylan's Plant wave album 1974... it was an omen ...I missed it!!!

A side: Wedding Song..." I love you more than ever, more than time more than blood/ love you more than money/more than the stars above...

B Side: The Derge..."I hate myself for lovin you and the weakness that it showed/you were just a painted face on sucide row...

Pete
04-23-2008, 07:10
By The Bangles.

Hit song the period we were deployed to an area where we only picked up one station. They must have played that song four times an hour for a month. Kinda' cute the first day but grew to hate it as time went on.

The Bangles? Who the heck are the Bangles?:D

Guy
04-23-2008, 07:37
Jody cadences...:D

Stay safe.

f50lrrp
04-23-2008, 08:39
We Got To Get Out of THis Place by the ANIMALS

"We gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing we ever do
We gotta get out of this place
Cause girl, there's a better life for me and you."

Played at full volume in the B-36 Team House - 1968-1969

Go Devil
04-23-2008, 10:38
Green Day, Time of your life. Shipping out of Indianapolis MEPS to Basic.

Ben Folds Five, The Army. Drinking with good friends at Benning while on RF-1.

Counting Crows, Long December. IU Medical Center sucks in December.

Dave Dudley, Six days on the road. Working in the father inlaws bus garage.

scmarines9303
04-23-2008, 13:00
"There must be some kind of way out of here,"
said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion,
I can't get no relief.
Businessmen they drink my wine,
plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth"
"No reason to get excited,"
the thief, he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us
who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that
and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late"

Gypsy
04-23-2008, 18:10
Ok this goes way back...my dad always used to sing to me mostly when I was a wee lass, songs by Andy Williams or Frank Sinatra. I miss that.

Ambush Master
04-23-2008, 18:23
Golden Earring........Twilight Zone!!

Richard
04-24-2008, 03:56
OK, for those who remember the EM Service Clubs with Red Cross "doughnut dollies" and hooch bars, juke boxes or TEAC reel-to-reel tape decks, I remember the following as always being played somewhere:

Silver Wings - Merle Haggard
My Girl - Temptations
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Midnight Hour - Wicked Wilson Pickett
I Feel Good - James Brown

The song that always makes me think of my wife -- At Last - Etta James

http://youtube.com/watch?v=csoMt1CiP04