PDA

View Full Version : Col. George E. Dexter.

QRQ 30
05-30-2005, 15:35
Someone asked if I knew an SF soldier named Dexter and I said that I thought he may have commanded one of the groups I was in.

To whoever you are: I have a LOA signed by Col George E. Dexter, CO 8th SFGA dtd 6 Jan 1971. That is all I can say about him. I didn't soar with the brass. :D

PSM
10-29-2015, 20:40
For you guys that were in the 8th SFG, I've been in contact with COL Dexter for the last couple of weeks (thanks to Razor). He was a USMA (1945) classmate of my uncle. He is well and sent me this email tonight when I told him that his name came up here:

Pat,

Yes, I was the 8th SFG Commander from September of '69 to June of '71. It was a fantastic assignment, and I got a chance to visit SF Mobile Training Teams from the 8th in El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala in Central America; Columbia, Venezuela and Ecuador in South America and the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean. Then my family and I drove back to the USA through all the Central American countries. So it was quite an adventure. Plus it was a real pleasure to be able to put in a second tour with Special Forces. (My first SF tour was with the 1st SF Group on Okinawa in 1962-64 before transferring to the 173d Abn Bde to command 2/503 Abn Inf for 9 months on Okinawa and 10 months in Vietnam.)

George

Pat