PDA

View Full Version : Springfield or Kimber?

Tubbs
05-29-2005, 21:24
This is more of an opinion poll than anything else, but I thought this would be the appropriate spot for it.
I was wondering which you gentlemen prefer, Kimber or Sprignfield 1911's. I've done my homework on both, but I wanted the opinions of people who I feel have a worthwhile opinion to give on the subject.

The Reaper
05-29-2005, 21:48
What do you want to do with it, and which models are you comparing?

Or are you just trolling?

TR

Tubbs
05-29-2005, 23:33
Well, right now I am comparing the new Springfield Operator to the Kimber Warrior (wich is essentially what the MEU(SOC) pistol is). Mostly I use these pistols for general shooting and defense. However, I am also trolling to the extent that I am interested in general feedback as well. I have already research both models quite exstensively on their respective websites, but I am currently the only person in my social circle that has actually used a pistol by either company. I was hoping to broaden my knowledge of both without a bunch of marketing BS.

Tubbs
06-24-2005, 16:50
Ok... I just found out what trolling is in the context of an online forum. So I guess I wasn't trolling. If I could get one of the medical professionals on this site to help me get my foot out of my mouth again that would be great. I suppose I should reconsider my desire to join the SF community until I have the Grey Man approach down...
Anyways, I didn't buy either. I decided to go for a Sig GSR.

Team Sergeant
06-24-2005, 16:57
Ok... I just found out what trolling is in the context of an online forum. So I guess I wasn't trolling. If I could get one of the medical professionals on this site to help me get my foot out of my mouth again that would be great. I suppose I should reconsider my desire to join the SF community until I have the Grey Man approach down...
Anyways, I didn't buy either. I decided to go for a Sig GSR.

Do more reading, then try a few weapons on the range.

Weapons are like cars (I've said this before) everyone has their own preference.

We're not American Handgunner writers, we're soldiers. We're not paid to compare weapons, we're paid to use them.

TS

Tubbs
06-24-2005, 17:12
Do more reading, then try a few weapons on the range.

Weapons are like cars (I've said this before) everyone has their own preference.

We're not American Handgunner writers, we're soldiers. We're not paid to compare weapons, we're paid to use them.

TS

Unfortunately most gun stores don't let you go for a test drive before buying. At least I haven't found one that does. I was just wondering if anyone owned either model (or make) and had any thoughts or opinions. Dropping over 1k on a gun is pretty significant. I had exhausted my literary resources so I looking for other avenues of gathering information. I own a Kimber (after doing my homework I thought I was getting the best) but I was a bit underwhelmed by it. I was hoping to avoid doing the same with some personal feedback.
Barring that I decided to forgo both and get a Sig GSR. I figure at least I've never had anyting but positive experiences with Sig-Sauer firearms.
I put it on layaway though to let it stew for a bit. Buyer's remorse is a bitch. Especially when a cool grand is on the line.

Team Sergeant
06-24-2005, 17:23
I put it on layaway though to let it stew for a bit. Buyer's remorse is a bitch. Especially when a cool grand is on the line.

One positive note, you can most likely resell for what you purchased the piece for...

Try it. Then sell it if necessary!

TS

lksteve
06-24-2005, 17:28
Unfortunately most gun stores don't let you go for a test drive before buying. i am somewhat sympathetic...but TS gives good advise...what works for me ( i am left-handed with a very dominant left eye) may be very difficult for you...now, truth be known, i am not a very polished pistoleer, but i usually know what works for me...from what i've been told, (1) my minds bad and (2) i need a shotgun...

it wouldn't be a bad idea if someone you knew at your local gun club (you do belong to your local gun club, right?) had one...

maybe you can find someone selling one used...you could always meet at the range and try it out...

NousDefionsDoc
06-24-2005, 17:32
A lot of ranges will rent them to you for the day.

I think pistolas are like gurls. Like the TS said, you have to test drive them to find the right one.

lksteve
06-24-2005, 17:36
I think pistolas are like gurls. Like the TS said, you have to test drive them to find the right one.and i believe ear plugs are called for in both cases...

Tubbs
06-24-2005, 19:07
( i am left-handed with a very dominant left eye)

it wouldn't be a bad idea if someone you knew at your local gun club (you do belong to your local gun club, right?) had one...

maybe you can find someone selling one used...you could always meet at the range and try it out...

I am also a lefty, so I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately the local gun club doesn't rent guns and caters mostly to older folks who like to go on safari to Africa and have the money to buy those types of guns. You'd think that Montana would have more and better gun clubs, at least they don't in my area.
I hadn't thought of looking for one used and then asking to try it. That's a good idea. Thank you for the advice. :)

Team Sergeant
06-24-2005, 19:56
I hadn't thought of looking for one used and then asking to try it. That's a good idea. Thank you for the advice. :)

Go to a public range, ask to fire weapons you've not fired. Most folks will be happy to allow you to fire a round or 6 from their personal weapons....

Or, head to Phoenix and I'll hook you up with a good range (indoor) that rents weapons.

TS

Tubbs
06-24-2005, 20:15
Go to a public range, ask to fire weapons you've not fired. Most folks will be happy to allow you to fire a round or 6 from their personal weapons....

Or, head to Phoenix and I'll hook you up with a good range (indoor) that rents weapons.

TS

I had a really good range in NC that I could do that at but since getting out I'm the one people ask to demo from (I've had about 30 guns pass through my collection since I started it three years ago and currently it resides at 22). The public range here is a mountain that you can shoot into. It doesn't really foster a sense of community. The fact that the gun club caters to elitist, rich, foegeys doesn't help either.
I just might have to head to Phoenix. What's the name of the range? The misses has some family out that way.

Team Sergeant
06-24-2005, 20:25
What's the name of the range? The misses has some family out that way.

"Shooters World"

http://www.azshootersworld.com/contact.html

Stay away from the scottsdale gun club, its nothing but a high dollar rip off.

TS

Tubbs
06-24-2005, 20:32
Stay away from the scottsdale gun club, its nothing but a high dollar rip off.

TS

That's kind of what our local gun club is.

Thank you. I'll definately check it out.

Just checked out the site. Incidentaly, what are the firearms laws like in AZ? The books can say one thing but in practice... well on paper you can own a gun in MA.

Smokin Joe
06-24-2005, 22:23
That's kind of what our local gun club is.

Thank you. I'll definately check it out.

Just checked out the site. Incidentaly, what are the firearms laws like in AZ? The books can say one thing but in practice... well on paper you can own a gun in MA.

Open carry state and CCW supporter. A polite society is an armed socitey. :D

Out of state purchases need to be shipped to your local FFL dealer in your state for pistol purchases. Long gun purchases can be made to states inwhich we share a border with. I.e. a Utah resident may purchase a long gun in Arizona but if that same resident wanted to purchase a pistol the pistol would have to be shipped to an FFL dealer in Utah for the resident to purchase in that state. (but I could be wrong on that its been a few years since I purchased a long gun in another state).

Team Sergeant
06-25-2005, 07:30
Open carry state and CCW supporter. A polite society is an armed socitey. :D

Out of state purchases need to be shipped to your local FFL dealer in your state for pistol purchases. Long gun purchases can be made to states inwhich we share a border with. I.e. a Utah resident may purchase a long gun in Arizona but if that same resident wanted to purchase a pistol the pistol would have to be shipped to an FFL dealer in Utah for the resident to purchase in that state. (but I could be wrong on that its been a few years since I purchased a long gun in another state).

Tubbs,

Smoking Joe is an AZ LEO.

AZ is a great state to own a firearm. Open carry laws are also outstanding!

TS

Tubbs
06-25-2005, 19:13
Solid copy gents. The feedback is much appreciated.
I agree, open carry is wonderfull. MT is an open carry state. I am just getting used to the idea of personal freedoms (i.e. the 2nd ammendment), after having spent a good portion of my life living in the Democratic People's Republic of Massachusettes.
I just found out a soloution to my dilema. A friend of mine is friends with a local gun store owner and he has a Springfield operator in stock and owns a Sig GSR. He is gonna take me to the range tomorrow and put a few rounds through both. If I like the Springfield I can take it home from the range. If I like the Sig he'll get me one at cost (although I think I already put one of his kids through college at this point...).
I found all of htis out earlier today. A most fortuitous turn of events.